Pimax 5k+ - severe asteroid edges artifact/blurriness?

Anyone else get an effect where the edges of asteroids look almost like you're looking through crystallized glass and very blurry and distorted? It's really very severe in my setup. Running 2080ti with newest driver, and pitool 121_R211-beta. VR High default settings. Is this a pimax specific thing? Thanks.

Edit - cranking volumetric effects to ultra almost completely eliminates the issue. It's not gone, but it's almost gone. Even on high though, it's very bad. So maybe something to do with the foggy asteroid fields? The one I'm in is a little foggy/hazzy.

Last edited:
I’m getting this today on a Samsung Galaxy and dropped by the forum to see what bugs, anomalies and general weirdness is going on for other VR users since the latest patch.

I switched off FX quality as recommended since the patch and everything seemed fine, then on Sunday my fps dropped like a stone every time I entered hyperspace (down to a minimum of 11FPS and thats happening on a flat screen as well as in VR.) This morning I go to mine Osmium for one of the Colonia engineers and I’m getting exactly what you describe.

My performance in VR is usually fantastic for my set up....I’ve got no idea what is going on at the moment :oops:

The bug has been present the 3.3 update. If you set 'volumetric effects' to anything lower than the absolute highest setting the asteroids which are surrounded in fog and also have bright sun light shinning on them look really bad, pixelating around the edges where the fog meets rock.

There was a bug report filed along with a video, but as usual it seems to have been ignored. Basically I don't mine or bounty hunt anymore, it was such an eye soar.

Last edited:
Phew - I thought it might have been just me getting this 'roid edge distortion' recently.
Currently on DW2 so haven't been around asteroid fields in main game for a long while - but I play cqc almost every night too and first noticed this issue 2 nights ago. Pretty well ruins the visuals in cqc (and in main game too by sounds of it here).
Saw nothing about it here though so figured it could be a problem at my end coz of this >> My pc rig is really stretched running my multi-axis motion rig, pimax 5k+, 2x HD monitors, three networked microcontrollers, at least 10 programs running in the background and every USB I have is used so thought problems was at my end.
Once pc etc is booted up and after rebooting pimax headset about half-dozen times (everytime I use it loses lighthouse tracking everytime I open a prog, or load up ED or whenever pimax feels like losing tracking) I eventually get a brilliant performance for hours and hours - usually.

I will say this though. In cqc it seems to be a random issue in that it doesn't happen every time. I had quite a few games yesterday and it didn't happen. Then for no reason I can figure it started happening suddenly when new match started. I played till end of map (looked aweful), reset hmd on/off and issue still present. Logged off ED and restarted - issue gone. Next map its back again. Got to end of map didn't reboot HMD this time and issue actually sorted itself when next map loaded. Played a map with no issues. Next map - issue is back. Felt like launching my pc through the garage window...... (but as I've spent over 500hrs building all this stuff I'm glad I didn't)

I'll give the volumetrics a boost to full and see - thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Quick update. Set volumetric effects to ultra. Didn't notice any detrimental effect on my fps (thankfully). Played 10 consecutive cqc matches - didn't notice any ' roid edging probs' at all. Happy again (for now).

Just gotta try and solve the lighthouse signal loss issue before the on/off button on my pimax wears out!

Just gotta try and solve the lighthouse signal loss issue before the on/off button on my pimax wears out!
Hi Blastard

This could be a real shot in the dark on your lighthouse signal issues.
I do remember during the Pimax prototype stage that they had to go with an external PSU, as USB alone couldn't supply enough current to the sensors and the LCD backlights. You could try a different PSU for the Pimax and se if that solves the tracking issues, as there have been a couple of reports where the PSU wasn't providing the required power.

Same issue on my Vive pro, so not Pimax dependent... I have done thesame thing to fix, set Volumetric to Ultra etc..

If you are running it though steam, can you check these settings and make sure you don't have it trying to do a custom resolution?

29WFEKW.png

If you are running it though steam, can you check these settings and make sure you don't have it trying to do a custom resolution?

29WFEKW.png

Sorry, I'm a little confused.... the problem is caused by a particular setting in Elite Dangerous and has nothing to do with SteamVR.

The setting in Elite can mask the issue but it is still there, it is just brute forcing it, I have seen several people on my Discord with the same issues that everyone above has been describing, and SteamVR has been doing a thing where "it knows better" and has been raising the HMD res without input by default unless you turn that off.

Has been doing this:
R2v1IqV.png

The setting in Elite can mask the issue but it is still there, it is just brute forcing it, I have seen several people on my Discord with the same issues that everyone above has been describing, and SteamVR has been doing a thing where "it knows better" and has been raising the HMD res without input by default unless you turn that off.

Has been doing this:
R2v1IqV.png
Yeah I'm aware of SteamVR doing that with your HMDs resolution. However, the bug is not just effecting SteamVR users. Oculus users and people without VR headsets are also seeing the problem. The problem is Elite based and not SteamVR based.

Last edited:
Same issue here cmdrs.

I have 2080ti, Pimax 5k Plus, Samsung Odyssey+ both do this when playing Elite Dangerous in VR the game has this horrendous edge blur to items when there is smoke or a 'mist' behind the object.
I can get this to happen in asteroid fields or near them when entering Thargoid attacked space stations against the red back ground for rescue missions.
So I wonder if its happening due to the background the image is over.

I have spent hours on the graphic settings nothing appears to help. I have only noticed this post April 2019 update, and its still happening with the recent patch 1 to the original update.

Sadly it almost renders playing in VR unplayable.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF-hq6STUgM&feature=youtu.be

Its like looking through a misted up cockpit!! I wouldn't mind if I picked up some hooker from Lave.

Volumetric to Ultra make no difference for me.

Anyone else get an effect where the edges of asteroids look almost like you're looking through crystallized glass and very blurry and distorted? It's really very severe in my setup. Running 2080ti with newest driver, and pitool 121_R211-beta. VR High default settings. Is this a pimax specific thing? Thanks.

Edit - cranking volumetric effects to ultra almost completely eliminates the issue. It's not gone, but it's almost gone. Even on high though, it's very bad. So maybe something to do with the foggy asteroid fields? The one I'm in is a little foggy/hazzy.

Having the same issue, it's DEFINITELY to do with any sort of fog or haze and not just in asteroid fields but also damaged stations.

Same problem with my O+ and Reverb. I think Volumetric to max was part of the answer for me. There was something else as well, some really daft setting which I can't recall.

Top Bottom