PiMAX 8K VR

I know its really only 2 x 4K i.e. one per eye and unfortunately they did not have those working for the IFA show, but there is progress and I thought some might be interested (I am):

The PiMAX forum thread on the IFA show:

http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/ifa-2017-pimax-8k-discussion-topic/2675

A video from someone who attended the show (read the video description for a review)

[video=youtube;BTRoIN24r9A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTRoIN24r9A[/video]

Last edited:
I have been watching the pimax development, just got the rift lately but we need better resolution. The more choice the better.

At the risk of hyping too much, here's some new PiMAX 8K info and a promo video:

http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/8k-new-prototype-updates/2763

Video (the addons look interesting):

[video=youtube_share;iCOsJRopjMc]https://youtu.be/iCOsJRopjMc[/video]

Oh they are also planning a "5K" version with 2x2.5K screens (OLED) - so it seems PiMAX are going for a modular approach.

Curses I want one now.....better start working on Mrs Teatime

I believe that increasing resolution and pixel density on the hardware side would increase long range clarity in vr even if you maintain the same rendering resolution in software as most of us do now. Meaning if we don't have gpu's capable of running 8k at high hz it would still be a massive improvement to have software rendering at 2k running upscaled on high pixel density screens.

How do they do their tracking?

My understanding from the specs sheet on that thread is they do a light house style for the base HMD and then there's an inside out addon that you can purchase as an option - I'm quite impressed with their modular approach (provided it all works of course).

I have been watching the pimax development, just got the rift lately but we need better resolution. The more choice the better.

Indeed, if you go to the Pimax website you can register for availability updates on the 8K version.

I'm a Rift user also but would kill for higher res panels.

Forget tracking... What kind of GPU can run an 8k monitor @60hz?

As I understand it the image for each eye isn't actually rendered at that res, its rendered at a lesser res then upscaled on to the 4k panels..

My 4K TV does the same magic with 1080p programs to make them "look" 4k. For the purpose of VR, an image looking like 4K will be easily good enough and would trounce a 1200x1080 display.

Last edited:
As I understand it the image for each eye isn't actually rendered at that res, its rendered at a lesser res then upscaled on to the 4k panels..

My 4K TV does the same magic with 1080p programs to make them "look" 4k. For the purpose of VR, an image looking like 4K will be easily good enough and would trounce a 1200x1080 display.

Use two gpu's, one per eye? And sync buffer switching. Now the real problem is, would their wireless support this frame rate? And if they can find any way to bump the refresh rate up to 90, that would be awesome.

Looks like they finally sorted spatial tracking, which to me is an absolute must.
Playing games on the Gear just made it feel like my brain was segfaulting.

compiler_complaint.png

With all due respect to Pimax, it looks like they shooting for the moon with catapaults. 8k is nothing but a buzzword and even maintaining 4k VR is a challenge.

If they do manage to bring a higher FOV while keeping overlap( to avoid the feeling someone stuck a divider on your nose) that's one BIG advancement. Doing that while developing in house tracking and delivering usable data to dual 4k screens...and hand controllers...

I really really want to eat my hat on this, so let me know when to get the mayo.

Edit: SCENT ENABLED MODULE?!? What is going on?

Last edited:

1080->4k is the easiest trick in the book. 1080 fits in to 4k exactly 4 times, very little work needs to be done. Now, throw 720 at a 4k TV, let me know how that goes! Anyway, just a bit of an in-joke for those that understand TV displays, 4k, and the fact that in Aus we have very little true 1080P content, let alone 4k, which means 80%+ of what we watch upscaled from 720 or worse, and looks terrible...

Z...

1080->4k is the easiest trick in the book. 1080 fits in to 4k exactly 4 times, very little work needs to be done. Now, throw 720 at a 4k TV, let me know how that goes! Anyway, just a bit of an in-joke for those that understand TV displays, 4k, and the fact that in Aus we have very little true 1080P content, let alone 4k, which means 80%+ of what we watch upscaled from 720 or worse, and looks terrible...

Z...

I'd like to see a source for the upscaling claim on the PiMAX 8K, because from reading the PiMAX forums they switched over to DP1.4 from HDMI to avoid this issue and run natively (even though there is a compression standard that could be used on HDMI, but nVidia won't/can't enable it on their graphics cards). The PiMAX 4K was initially upscaling from 1080, but that has also been upped to 1440 I believe in later firmware/drivers.

without the ability to lean over and look over my shoulder where that zero shot to it still is utterly useless in a dog fight.

without the ability to lean over and look over my shoulder where that zero shot to it still is utterly useless in a dog fight.

I'm pretty sure the 8K has 6 degrees of freedom unlike the 4K predecessor - in fact there's a second video from IFA which shows exactly this and they got the 8K version working (was damaged by somebody trying it at the show on the first day.....probably had a facebook employee badge on ;) ).

Top Bottom