PiMAX 8K VR

I was reading just now about the upscale thing.. and I think that's a superb idea. Remember, it's not really resolution that's the problem with today's HMD's, it's the gap between pixels that makes it look so low-res - when it really isn't.

Upscaling to a 4k display will virtually eliminate this issue, and without needing more GPU power. I think it's a superb idea.

1080->4k is the easiest trick in the book. 1080 fits in to 4k exactly 4 times, very little work needs to be done. Now, throw 720 at a 4k TV, let me know how that goes! Anyway, just a bit of an in-joke for those that understand TV displays, 4k, and the fact that in Aus we have very little true 1080P content, let alone 4k, which means 80%+ of what we watch upscaled from 720 or worse, and looks terrible...

Z...

Pretty much the same here. Best we have broadcast is 1080i.
Then again I utterly dropped broadcast tv in 2005 or so.
Now mostly using various streaming solutions but chiefly I have gone back to physical media.
I have never bought as many dvd's, bluerays, and now UHD bluerays as now.
Latest addition to my collection is Stargate sg1 seasons 1-10 ;)

As for 720p, and even good old DVD's look rather good on my 4k tv.
But that is a Panasonic 65"dx900 (flagship model, and set me back about € 3000)
And it is helped by the fact that my main player is an oppo 103d, known for absolutely excellent playback of any medium, particularly dvds.
And that cost as much as a 1080ti and handles the upscaling from native to 1080p.

And of course.
I don't expect to compare 720p with native 4k content.
If it looks as good as it can I'm a happy bunny.

Just because it's never been released on blueray or now UHD is no reason not to watch something ;)

I'm also waiting impatiently for Pimax to launch the 8k.

It's just three weeks ago that I got my second 4k, and I am so glad with it, compared with the Rift I re-tested once again in June.
Yes, of course, Positional Tracking, OLED displays and 90 Hz might be of avantage - but that SDE is just so bad and annoying...

Last but not least, Pimax is really improving its product: With my first Pimax begin of this year and its drivers at that time, Euro Truck Simulator 2 didn't want to start in SteamVR, or at least, one had to tune some complicated work-arounds with the RiftOverride and so on.
Now, just a couple of months later, my second Pimax with the up-to-date drivers is working out-of-the-box with ETS2!

Furthermore, in the same time, Steam improved SteamVR and added that SS-resolution slider, and that positive impact on the Pimax' 4k screen is massive! Finally, I am able to detect the bends in Project Cars from a distance I wasn't before without that slider, and in ETS2, I finally can read all the signs which wasn't possible before, although that 4k Display and even when being right next to a sign. (And honestly: I cannot imagine how some pro's can drive for record times in Project Cars with the Rift or the Vive given that aweful Resolution... how do they see anything...?!? I would crash into every second bend... :D)

So I really can't wait for the 8k version with 200° FOV. Hopefully it gets a DisplayPort instead of HDMI... 8k, 200° and 90 Hz ... :D

(PS: My first Pimax didn't broke - I simply sold it since I didn't use it for a couple of months and thought I might not need it anymore. Mistake... ;)

Last edited:
I ordered/Kickstarted the 8K. I didn't bother with the 8K X, as by the time I have the computer to run native 2x4k how I want to (Next Gen GPU, maybe CPU) I believe version 1.2/2 of the 8KX or equivalent will be out. And probably cost about the same. In the meantime I'm happy for the 4k image to be upscaled and displayed on as many pixels as possible, across the 8K (2x4k) at 200°

:)

[edit] Actually, I'm quite excited.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a source for the upscaling claim on the PiMAX 8K, because from reading the PiMAX forums they switched over to DP1.4 from HDMI to avoid this issue and run natively (even though there is a compression standard that could be used on HDMI, but nVidia won't/can't enable it on their graphics cards). The PiMAX 4K was initially upscaling from 1080, but that has also been upped to 1440 I believe in later firmware/drivers.

The 8K is upscaling 1440 per eye, the 8K X is native 4K per eye and pimax themselves do not recommend the 8K X as it's for future GPU's
There are a number of threads on various forums, the creator in the Tested video confirmed the 8K is upscaled while the 8K X is native.

Last edited:
The 8K is upscaling 1440, the 8K X is native and pimax themselves do not recommend it as it's for future GPU's
There are a number of threads on various forums, the creator in the Tested video confirmed the 8K is upscaled while the 8K X is native.

Thanks Strife = I hadn't dug into it much when I first posted this thread and PiMAX seemed to be firming up the specs.

I've backed for a standard 8K and so far the kickstarter is going well. My only concern now is that the excitement and PiMAX trying to accommodate backer's wishes ends up introducing too much feature creep...seriously looking forward to delivery now :)

Sure np, note I edited my post and added per eye, this is due to the Pimax FAQ changing from this:

What is the input of Pimax 8K?
2560*1440 per eye, upscale to 3840*2160 per eye.

To This:

What is the input of Pimax 8K
4K upscale to 8K

Im also backing the 8K :)

With all due respect to Pimax, it looks like they shooting for the moon with catapaults. 8k is nothing but a buzzword and even maintaining 4k VR is a challenge.

If they do manage to bring a higher FOV while keeping overlap( to avoid the feeling someone stuck a divider on your nose) that's one BIG advancement. Doing that while developing in house tracking and delivering usable data to dual 4k screens...and hand controllers...

I really really want to eat my hat on this, so let me know when to get the mayo.

Edit: SCENT ENABLED MODULE?!? What is going on?

Do Hutton Truckers really want smellyvision? <grin>

Good to see some competition. I always knew that the CV1 would not be my last VR headset. And with this "always online" malarkey that Facebook is pulling off, I doubt my next headset will be an Oculus.

I backed for the 5k package (with controllers etc) but I might change it to the 8k version. Not sure yet.

To answer the point someone made earler about not being able to drive that resolution, I think in the tested.com video, the Pimax CEO explains that they're rendering on one display at a time back and forth very quickly - called it brain-warp or something so you don't need double the graphics power to drive the two displays at 4k resolution/90hz

I'll most likely go for the 8K version myself. I have the Vive now, so I should very away with just selling the headset. I'm excited!

I backed for the 5k package (with controllers etc) but I might change it to the 8k version. Not sure yet.

To answer the point someone made earler about not being able to drive that resolution, I think in the tested.com video, the Pimax CEO explains that they're rendering on one display at a time back and forth very quickly - called it brain-warp or something so you don't need double the graphics power to drive the two displays at 4k resolution/90hz

Also the 8k version is an upscaled 5k. In have gone for the 5k as well. I may up my bid to get the controllers as well.

I'm actually quite pleased that the early bird packages went so quickly on the Kickstarter - I wouldn't have been able to stop myself. :)

I'll be watching the Pimax with interest. Upscaled 8k would be fine for me if it removes the SDE - that is more important right now than whether the machine can truly run 8k.

I could be tempted, but I play with a rift through the oculus room, would i lost all my gama using this new VR kit?

@pimax forum , one guy from dev team says that for 8k (non x) they are checking higher input than 1440p on single DP, in future this version might be unlocked for a native 4k per eye

Last edited:
I could be tempted, but I play with a rift through the oculus room, would i lost all my gama using this new VR kit?
It's a distinct possibility. One reason why the oculus store is .

Luckily there's LibreVR's Revive, and a lot of Steam games work with the CV1. Using a kludge is not ideal. I'll now start thinking twice before buying anything from the Oculus store. It was always a big mark in the "Cons" column of whether to go for the VIVE or CV1

Luckily there's LibreVR's Revive, and a lot of Steam games work with the CV1. Using a kludge is not ideal. I'll now start thinking twice before buying anything from the Oculus store. It was always a big mark in the "Cons" column of whether to go for the VIVE or CV1

I originally got the Vive, so my first games were bought through SteamVR. I got rid of the Vive and got a Rift in the sales. I was pleased to find that all my SteamVR games still work with the Rift (especially The Lab, which is excellent). I've only bought a couple of games through Oculus, but probably won't buy any more just in case - I don't expect to have the Rift for too long after the Pimax is released.

Also the 8k version is an upscaled 5k. In have gone for the 5k as well. I may up my bid to get the controllers as well.
Might be I'll be selling my controllers and the second base very soon after checking that everything works. Don't really need them since I am playing only cockpit sims with wheel and joystick. And that two games I might need controllers for, work with a xbox gamepad as well. So if you're interested in that option, pls let me know before I put them on ebay :)

Top Bottom