PiMAX 8K VR

Might be I'll be selling my controllers and the second base very soon after checking that everything works. Don't really need them since I am playing only cockpit sims with wheel and joystick. And that two games I might need controllers for, work with a xbox gamepad as well. So if you're interested in that option, pls let me know before I put them on ebay :)

It could be that I may be interesed. Keep me posted. Thanks.

not to be a debbie downer just genuinely curious. how are people expecting to be able to run anything at 8k (2x 4k)? Will an i7 coffee lake + 1080ti really be enough to support that drastic of a resolution increase? If I'm missing something (and I hope I am) let me know, otherwise I'm curious if people will be running 1080ti sli for marginal performance.

not to be a debbie downer just genuinely curious. how are people expecting to be able to run anything at 8k (2x 4k)? Will an i7 coffee lake + 1080ti really be enough to support that drastic of a resolution increase? If I'm missing something (and I hope I am) let me know, otherwise I'm curious if people will be running 1080ti sli for marginal performance.

Well there is only 1x 4k to render at time with brainstorm technology ( if we talking about 8k-x version , non X is only 1440p upscaled to 4K)
http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/75-90hz-to-150-180hz-brainwarp-how/3097

Well there is only 1x 4k to render at time with brainstorm technology ( if we talking about 8k-x version , non X is only 1440p upscaled to 4K)
http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/75-90hz-to-150-180hz-brainwarp-how/3097

And the additional FOV, it will be a very demanding bit of kit. My honests thoughts are that while it could be a dream come true in many respects the hardware is not there to drive it. I personally think there will be a lot disappointed folk when / if the device ships. Elite running in 200 degree FOV at 4k in stereo 3D on even high end kit is something I just I don't see as being possible, even with compromises. The game can struggle even now on high end rigs with current VR specs.

And the additional FOV, it will be a very demanding bit of kit. My honests thoughts are that while it could be a dream come true in many respects the hardware is not there to drive it. I personally think there will be a lot disappointed folk when / if the device ships. Elite running in 200 degree FOV at 4k in stereo 3D on even high end kit is something I just I don't see as being possible, even with compromises. The game can struggle even now on high end rigs with current VR specs.

that's where I'm at...although like I said I hope I'm wrong! In this case I'll let those with more money try it out and then pay more after release if it ends up being viable...

If you do your research , they have announced that the pimax headset (non-x) will handle todays hardware just fine becuase of few tricks like multiplexing the displays(similar to how 3d glasses work) and hardware upscaling, saving half the work for the graphics card. There will also be eye-tracking soon so there's always foveated rendering too to help. As for the FOV, for now it aparantly is only stretched on the sides so actual rendering resolution is not changed to it's full display resolution. For the x version though I agree you will need VERY powerful pimped out rig.

Last edited:
If you do your research , they have announced that the pimax headset (non-x) will handle todays hardware just fine becuase of few tricks like multiplexing the displays(similar to how 3d glasses work) and hardware upscaling, saving half the work for the graphics card. There will also be eye-tracking soon so there's always foveated rendering too to help. As for the FOV, for now it aparantly is only stretched on the sides so actual rendering resolution is not changed to it's full display resolution. For the x version though I agree you will need VERY powerful pimped out rig.

Stereo 3D is Stereo 3D, an image rendered twice at slightly different perspectives. Even if it is alternating between two eyes, 3D glasses have the same performance hits as VR even when doing just that, just without the increased FOV. Stretching the FOV.... that sounds very poor and would likely result in unacceptable visual distortion. I read DocOKs article on the device, of course as it stands alot of it is based on speculation but I consider him extremely knowledgable in all things VR, it might be worth a read if you have not already.

Personally I see a lot of marketing jargon and reassurances that the things people think are not possible, they have under control. I don't see it and won't believe it until I do. I see a lot of risk for potential backers here, not that I don't think they'll deliver but at what they do deliver - a device with an unrealistically stretched image with distortion which PCs struggle to drive.

Would love to be proven wrong as after all the devices specs are the holy grail of current VR devices.

. As for the FOV, for now it aparantly is only stretched on the sides so actual rendering resolution is not changed to it's full display resolution...

Guys, please dig pimax forum instead of spread outdated news ! FOV is not streched.

We need gloves and a keyboard or buttons in game... pls pls pls FDEV, then we all buy one of these... I really really want one from father christmas

...Not to mention they're using a laptop to demo it, not a custom beast.

(re questioning performance requirements)

I'm starting to get worried about what I read on this topic. Apparently there is no warranty for the product in regard to its defective delivery. I did not find anything on the KS page either.

http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/about-product-warranty/3147

Given their previous performance with 4K replacements, this falls within acceptable boundaries of risk for me personally. YMMV of course, but when I back something on Kickstarter I understand I am "taking a punt" and might lose my investment. I look at past performance and how the company and its representatives have conducted themselves and base a decision on that alone.

...Not to mention they're using a laptop to demo it, not a custom beast.

(re questioning performance requirements)

Demoing what though - another low poly 'Lucky's Tale' clone with baked lighting and shadows? I'll need to see an actual hands on with relevant VR games and valid third party performance based feedback before I'm convinced.

I want this product to work believe me, but as they say, if something sounds to good to be true it's probably because it is and nothing in those specs sound remotely doable (even less so if you add Elite to the equation) so I'll remain skeptical at this time until I see some hard evidence.

Last edited:
I'll need to see an actual hands on with relevant VR games and valid third party performance based feedback before I'm convinced...

...so I'll remain skeptical at this time until I see some hard evidence.

Cool, you do that. I'll just try mine when it arrives is a few months [up]

Cool, you do that. I'll just try mine when it arrives is a few months [up]

I will - let me know how you get on with it. Actually, on second thoughts, I'll wait for a more informed opinion from a trust worthy source.

Nice to see how you couldn't even answer my question in your last post - guess you don't know what they demo'd either!!!

When I see this product running Elite Dangerous with the devices native FOV at acceptable frame rates I'll believe the hype.

In all honesty I hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
I will - let me know how you get on with it. Actually, on second thoughts, I'll wait for a more informed opinion from a trust worthy source.

Nice to see how you couldn't even answer my question in your last post - guess you don't know what they demo'd either!!!

When I see this product running Elite Dangerous with the devices native FOV at acceptable frame rates I'll believe the hype.

In all honesty I hope it works out for you.

You asked a question?

If it doesn't 'work out,' if I couldn't game in the Pimax 8k, i'll still be left with the best VR desktop and movie HMD for those tasks. I go back to gaming on either of my other HMDs - I'll be OK.

Last edited:
Indeed I did.

You managed to quote at least some of that post so I assume you read it all.

You answered your own question in the same sentence, I thought you were being rhetorical. YouTube search 'Pimax 8k demo' for yourself, it's what myself and every other backer did before backing. It's a prototype, you get whatever media is currently out there and that's it. They tour the prototype constantly, and you're not going to get what you're asking for until there's more than one of them[8k] and they're out there being used by us. Not everyone is backing just based on reviews, some are backing based on what they know so far about the hardware being used and what it's capable of - even if the software or backers PC isn't able to take advantage fully, yet.

What's currently out there is enough promise for all the current backers, myself included, to commit money now to help the project itself become a reality. We already like what we see and want to help make it actually happen. You want to play it safe which is fine, too, but somebody has to back it

Last edited:
Stereo 3D is Stereo 3D, an image rendered twice at slightly different perspectives. Even if it is alternating between two eyes, 3D glasses have the same performance hits as VR even when doing just that, just without the increased FOV. Stretching the FOV.... that sounds very poor and would likely result in unacceptable visual distortion. I read DocOKs article on the device, of course as it stands alot of it is based on speculation but I consider him extremely knowledgable in all things VR, it might be worth a read if you have not already.

Personally I see a lot of marketing jargon and reassurances that the things people think are not possible, they have under control. I don't see it and won't believe it until I do. I see a lot of risk for potential backers here, not that I don't think they'll deliver but at what they do deliver - a device with an unrealistically stretched image with distortion which PCs struggle to drive.

Would love to be proven wrong as after all the devices specs are the holy grail of current VR devices.

boy you really are driven to put the pimax down by jumping to conclusions by twisting my words and not doing your own proper research!
I said that they are using a multiplexing techinque similar to 3D glasses, but not to display actual 3D image from it like they do on 3D glasses. They are simply mulitplexing the refresh rate to help alleviate the graphics card usage. And for the stretching due to the FOV that is not the fault of the pimax hmd but because games right now are not outputting any wider FOV to VR headsets, so in the meantime there is a slight stretching but only on the peripheral view where your eyes suck at anyways. The Pimax headset itself is fully capable of proper full 200deg FOV, without stretching!

boy you really are driven to put the pimax down by jumping to conclusions by twisting my words and not doing your own proper research!
I said that they are using a multiplexing techinque similar to 3D glasses, but not to display actual 3D image from it like they do on 3D glasses. They are simply mulitplexing the refresh rate to help alleviate the graphics card usage. And for the stretching due to the FOV that is not the fault of the pimax hmd but because games right now are not outputting any wider FOV to VR headsets, so in the meantime there is a slight stretching but only on the peripheral view where your eyes suck at anyways. The Pimax headset itself is fully capable of proper full 200deg FOV, without stretching!

Not at all. I'm just skeptical anything can drive such a device at its full potential is all. The hardware itself, 4K and 200 degrees fov is very exciting on paper.. Not so much if nothing can power it.

Top Bottom