Piracy question concerning Low Temperature Diamonds.

@bigmaecit depends how you want to do it.

Piracy is either a roleplay career or a means to make money. I'm guessing as you have ruled out the Cutter you are viewing it from the RP gameplay perspective. If that is the case then I would definitely suggest small or medium ship.

If you are going for medium then it's a Python or a Krait mk2 for you. These will earn you good money and are tough enough to hold their own when things inevitably go south.

If you want to go deeper into the RP or just learn the trade then it's the small ships you want and you can't go wrong with the Cobra. You already mentioned the drop ship and I have one too. Solid little raider. The Viper is a good choice and someone i knew even used a keel back succesfully once upon a time.

I'm not going to build a ship for you. Your smart enough to do that yourself and besides building your own Pirate ship is half the fun. Do you want it cold and tanky or shooty and fast? Are you tooled up to the eye balls or a slicked back smash and grab mugger?

All I would say is that NPC Piracy is fun but often frustrating and I suspect It won't be long before you find yourself staring at the star in a high value opal market system, waiting for those juicy hollow squares to drop in so you can selflesslly. create some fabulous gameplay for them.

Yaaar!

Wouldn't rule out either. Where are you looking for them?
I would risk to say anywhere, but I've been in almost only anarchy, agriculture systems. But, since last update, I have yet to see any transport carrying LTD at all.
Bad luck, wrong system? Anything that changed?
Transports with mining lasers equipped.... carrying algae and tobacco? Seriously?

I would risk to say anywhere, but I've been in almost only anarchy, agriculture systems. But, since last update, I have yet to see any transport carrying LTD at all.
Bad luck, wrong system? Anything that changed?
Transports with mining lasers equipped.... carrying algae and tobacco? Seriously?
I don't do PvE piracy myself, but from what I know I would recommend Industrial systems.

Two squadmates also had bad luck with the standard procedure since the update. Mining ships carrying tea, tobacco, whater and whatnot but no Ltd's.

Could not check for myself yet.

Ok found one carrying them, at last..... a krait mkii with 79 or so of them LTDs.
System Dimoco, currently:
Independent,
Corporate,
Boom,
Agriculture,
So..... not all is lost I guess phewwwww.
Two squadmates also had bad luck with the standard procedure since the update. Mining ships carrying tea, tobacco, whater and whatnot but no Ltd's.

Could not check for myself yet.
Yes, anarchy systems with agriculture or whatever used to net a lot of them before, T9 and T7, full of Diamonds, but now, it seems like miners are mining tea and tobacco lol

Last edited:
Do NPCs stop now when their power plants go down?
Nope, you must disable their drives and bump them to a comfortable looting position without them blowing themselves up with their mines, or, with the bumping itself hehehe, so it has a bit of a technique behind the approach at pirating NPCs.

Do NPCs stop now when their power plants go down?
Why would they?
0% Powerplant = 50% power output. Effective power priorities (which NPCs use) won't leave you dead in the water in those circumstances.

Nope, you must disable their drives and bump them to a comfortable looting position without them blowing themselves up with their mines, or, with the bumping itself hehehe, so it has a bit of a technique behind the approach at pirating NPCs.
Hatch Breakers + Collector Limpets and a decent tank work a treat.

Hatch Breakers + Collector Limpets and a decent tank work a treat.
Yes that's one way.... I just like to roleplay a bit more and pretend I did some really hard work prior to loot them. There is system defence forces involved, and a lot , and I mean a looot of bumping the poor transport to a suitable position for me.
Sometimes, rarely, but still they manage to blow themselves up.... hilariously frustrating.
So it's still space bumper cars. I don't even know why I expected more from FD.
There are other techniques like disabling some weapons but one, or face tank them with shields... I just find that bumping works best, for me, specially on security systems.😉

Last edited:
I want to try npc piracy in the future, too.

Any ship advice that is not cutter? No seriously, no cutter.

You want to avoid the ship which can mass-lock any other ship in the game?

Okkkaaayyy.....Clipper? ;)

For the record, my Pirate Cutter, Kraken is wanted by 12 factions and has empted cargo bays galore. When Kraken approaches, installations weep. :D

Its part fun, and part research, learning what I can get from certain installtions and megaships, and if the faction state for that installation has any effect. At some point I'll post my findings (or keep them to myself and go MUHAHAHA! ;)).

When I tried kiting those LTD T9's I found a shield tank Cutter to be the most efficient vessel, but the npc AI got buffed and they are no longer such supine easy picking.

I want to try npc piracy in the future, too.

Any ship advice that is not cutter? No seriously, no cutter.

First Off OP, these system do still exists, and i am 'Excavating' ;) one at the moment, so hunt around.

Bigmac: here is my Clipper PvP and PvE Pirating build....... Clipper Pirate

First off, have a FAST wake scan so when NPC or Player High wakes out you can scan in 2 secs and get after them to get some more LTD's out of their hold. Players might be canny and immediately drop down to space to avoid being hit again after the jump, but Dumb NPC's stay around waiting to be hit again. If they jump to a High security system forget following them as you won't have time to collect many LTD's after hitting them again as security will be on you like a flash.

My build is open to your own requirements on weapons, as the idea is not to fire any except in self defence, but use the clippers speed to get out of range quick and LEAVE. I have a lot of collectors and 'B' Class giving me a greater range. Time is not an issue as after the first hatch breaker drops the LTD's the NPC will High Wake, giving you enough time to collect from 5-10 depending on what drops out. Wake scan MUST be engineered to fast scan so after the last LTD is in your hold boost to high wake and as you hit the range, 2 sec scan, stow sanner and jump in one fluid movement.

As i mentioned Players do what players do, but most don't expect you to follow them as the wake scanner is not used much except for DWE's, but some players will be around in the next system, so you do them again, and they get very irritated ;)
NPC's that have jumped will be around waiting for you to pull them again, and you can follow them again and again to empty their hold if you so desite (High Security Systems forget it.

My build is not for fighting, and won't stand much in a battle, Speed is your weapon with this build. I do use the PH's for the annoying Point defence which will take ur limpets out.

This 'Pirating Malarcky' is great fun, and i don't have to tell you the best place find find player miners as they are mostly greedy and will go to the highest paying station.
I can easily fill the 128 tons with all sorts of good stuff, not just LTD's

ENJOY.

I am having issues too. Something has changed. I've been on for hours now and have not seen one ship with LTDs. Furthermore, all the ones that typically had any (miners, ships with a refinery) that I pulled were carrying other cargo. It really does seem NPC LTD piracy has been nerfed.

I’m consistently finding them now in Industrial only economy, Independant, economic state None and security state None (have to visit system to determine this). Also in some Agricultural Industrial economies but not all, Independant, economic state None and security state None.

Nice nice, found a t6 yesterday on Panarion system, and a t7 full of them while docking at a station so, they are still around, just not on anarchy systems anymore I guess.

Was hunting last night and had good luck. Found several miners with diamonds. The other cargo types without mining lasers had other stuff.

I don't do it for the money...it's kinda RP and for fun, so my Clipper isn't too picky with the targets.

Top Bottom