Pitch for Orrery map

Hi devs!

I know you haven't planned work on orrery map for 2018. I understand that, but I would like to pitch why we need orrery map from extending current gameplay perspective.

1. POIs/system bookmarks/overall system structure
This is actually big one. While current left side menu does it job, it does not give good, solid overview. Add POIs and bookmarks and it gets too crowded. Yes, we have filters, but they are cumbersome to use. This puts a dump exploration of both habited and explorable systems. If we would let's say bookmarking signal sources as a thing, this definitely would make orrery map very useful.
2. Sense of scale about the system
Sometimes - heck too many times - numbers does not mean a thing. How far something is while it is possible to measure in supercruise, it can cause lot of scenarios when you really need that 3D presentation. Let's say there's planet coming just behind sun, and you are traveling torwards it. Yeah, you can move cursor slightly torwards sun and see if it is closer, but it does not work all the time and it is certainly not a gameplay feature which you can rely completely;
3. Sense of 'belonging'
I know this is tricky one to explain but having an overview 3d map just helps with sense of belonging to system. It is like looking map of Earth - it just makes that feel. Current system map is excellent info source about persistent objects in it and it serves well. But it never really gives that feeling of belonging, sense you have made home here;

Orrery map pitch is hard because it is objectively hard to measure need for one. I tried to give one of bunch reasons I can see for it. If you also want Orrery map and see other usages, add them here. Devs read this forum.

+1, I'd love to have an Orrery Map in game. It's something that many players would use regularly no matter how you play the game, because all players use system maps. That alone makes it a worthwhile feature to prioritize.

I would go for tocoso's ideas as well as what everyone else has said. Here are the images for those that can't go to Imgur:

https://imgur.com/gallery/l1wBF

4m1x7v4.jpg

uPIhaGv.jpg

kAyjFcz.jpg

IpeEbjo.jpg

BGj0hBU.jpg

bOI9yvd.jpg

IPRMRrX.jpg

3hIki0u.jpg

Kk6ETQS.jpg

ypjCAO9.jpg

JVx4A9b.jpg

This would be useful.

But if we want it will be natural (and really great welcomed in the long view) the signs of planet must be just a tiny flights or just symbols - not an images with all this surface shapes and rings.

Love this idea and have spoken about it in my own thread months ago. Evidently there are numerous commanders who would like to see this implemented.

My thoughts: It would be nice to "see" where I am relative to my target and other items in a system. The orrery shouldn't be automatic. You would need to do a system scan upon arrival to get the basic info on what is there. Of course, the info received is dependent on the power of your ship's scanner. If the system has a nav beacon, scanning that would upload all the data for the entire system like it currently does, but now you would be able to view it all in the orrery.

Having this map show in real time would help a lot as well. Then I can see where the suspected WW is in relation to where I am at that time, as just one example.

I'd love an Orrery map, but not to scale thanks.

I once coded a scale model of our solar system, and found myself looking at a black screen with a few tiny, barely visible dots on it. It wasn't much fun, and nobody was impressed.

This video demonstrates the kind of thing :D

[video=youtube;zR3Igc3Rhfg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR3Igc3Rhfg[/video]

It kind of gave me the creeps. It also made me appreciate the sheer power of my small 130mm Newtonian telescope, through which I could see Jupiter as a fuzzy lentil-sized humbug. That really blew my mind.

I'd love an Orrery map, but not to scale thanks.

I once coded a scale model of our solar system, and found myself looking at a black screen with a few tiny, barely visible dots on it. It wasn't much fun, and nobody was impressed.

This video demonstrates the kind of thing :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR3Igc3Rhfg

It kind of gave me the creeps. It also made me appreciate the sheer power of my small 130mm Newtonian telescope, through which I could see Jupiter as a fuzzy lentil-sized humbug. That really blew my mind.

Ideally from a UI design point of view I'd like to see "larger than life" symbols represent the planets and objects when the map is zoomed out, this would also aid in readability too, but then as you zoom in the symbols are replaced by to scale models of the objects. Or maybe a tactical view toggle where you can switch between symbols and "to scale" models.

+1 for orrery request, and this proves the end times are nigh - lions sleeping with lambs, cats and dogs, agreeing with eagleboy is close to a first for me - duly repped because a good idea is a good idea is a good idea...

Plus something that no one's mentioned (to my knowledge), an orrery would negate the need for random USSs, combat zones etc, replaced by area's noted on the map - and I know something like that requires a lot of work but I'm pretty sure something like this would actually sell pretty well (you have a captive market of space nerds), and the only working galaxy simulator out there - NMS is a planetary generator, X is a couple of systems also with no orrery, SC is still a few years from being, well, anything really.

Top Bottom