Pitch Roll and Acceleration for (nearly) Everyship.

It pays for it in thruster power.

You mean Clippers? They slide around like they're on ice, sure, but they can still point their nose at you despite efforts to shake them. I'm talking mostly about NPCs here, who love to face tank because you can't get away from it.

Last edited:
You mean Clippers? They slide around like they're on ice, sure, but they can still point their nose at you despite all efforts to shake them.

Vertical (and horizontal) thrusters. I use them a lot in the ships with good ones (Fer-de-Lance, for its size, Courier, Viper when I flew one). The Clipper can't quite do the same things, but the good pitch and yaw give a certain other style of fighting.

Should test some of the Type-ships. That T-6 is fast and maneuverable. Granted it's a medium but it's still a nice ship.

Excellent work, sadly this just goes to show how poorly representative the in game stats are of actual ship capabilities. Clipper at 2/10 agility...indeed..

I've already repped you for a different post, but I'd love to give you more!

Because of your data, some educated guessing/deductions, and Taleden's research, I will be able to model boost speed calculations on Coriolis.io pretty accurately!

I will make sure to give you a shout out in the release notes for 1.7.0 (coming soon!)

Thanks again for all the effort!

Developer choice. They have the WW2 warplanes in space concept, and those roll and pitch in fight. Good yaw would mean turrets in space, they don't want that. Though some ships are pretty good at it, Clipper and Federal Assault ship.

+Rep for the response and information. I can see that is makes a certain amount of sense from a game play point of view. I faced enough Federation turret ships in STO to last me a life time!

I guess we are still waiting on the results of the T9 to come in what with having not completed its turn......

Yeah, i'd have to change the units from seconds to ice ages, and that would just mess up the whole table!

Excellent work!

One thing I still do not understand (There is lots I have no clue about but this is one that bugs me). Why is the Yaw so nerfed?

We are in space and there is no reason (other than a devs) as to why the yaw would be less than the roll or pitch changes.

As Numa said, design decision. My in game reasoning is that the thrusters seem to be mounted so they are angled mostly in the vertical plane and only slightly in the horizontal, so much greater thrust goes in pitch than yaw

Vertical (and horizontal) thrusters. I use them a lot in the ships with good ones (Fer-de-Lance, for its size, Courier, Viper when I flew one). The Clipper can't quite do the same things, but the good pitch and yaw give a certain other style of fighting.

Indeed, the clipper needs a different style than other ships, you can turn well but not adjust your velocity quickly except boosting.

My only concern with the way things are is that a lot of big ships (and especially with boost fa off flips) turn fast enough to keep smaller ships in their sights pretty much constantly despite their superior thrust stats.

Astounding work, OP. Now there is one figure missing, but I am not sure how to even measure or express that numerically: the amount of "drift" a ship has. Basically, some ships like the FDS, Clipper and FDL tend to drift a lot when changing directions, as their ability to shed velocity is smaller than their ability to pitch/roll. Probably some kind of ratio between pitch speed and deceleration? But not just forward or backward, but also lateral deceleration plays a role here.

Is it just me or is the CONDA incredible agilee in the pitch department?

For a ship with a maneuverability score of 2 it seems rather nimble

You are not the first one to notice. The Anaconda is oddly agile for its size, mass, and overall powerfulness.

Last edited:
My only concern with the way things are is that a lot of big ships (and especially with boost fa off flips) turn fast enough to keep smaller ships in their sights pretty much constantly despite their superior thrust stats.

This is exactly the problem. Little ships should be able to out-maneuver big ships.

As it stands, with their inhumanly precise aiming and vector control, AI enemies can keep their bows on small ships by FA-off and vectored thrust-- and there's nothing to do. I fought a Dangerous Clipper in my DBS the other day and despite thrusting down and attempting to get under him, once he started Face-Tanking me I could NOT break it without boosting past him and flipping around.

By the time I completed that maneuver, he had already turned to face me again.

It was frustrating, not fun.

Astounding work, OP. Now there is one figure missing, but I am not sure how to even measure or express that numerically: the amount of "drift" a ship has. Basically, some ships like the FDS, Clipper and FDL tend to drift a lot when changing directions, as their ability to shed velocity is smaller than their ability to pitch/roll. Probably some kind of ratio between pitch speed and deceleration? But not just forward or backward, but also lateral deceleration plays a role here.
<snip>...

I think this is because those ships generate relatively low "lift" forces when you pull the stick back (I mean lift forces simulated by Flight Assist mode). Taking the analogy to aerial flight a step further: these ships fly with high alpha (angle between fuselage centre line and velocity vector) when turning at maximum turn rate. By using the vertical thruster the drift can be reduced (or enhanced) considerably, especially in the FdL which has quite powerful vertical thrusters.

This is exactly the problem. Little ships should be able to out-maneuver big ships.

As it stands, with their inhumanly precise aiming and vector control, AI enemies can keep their bows on small ships by FA-off and vectored thrust-- and there's nothing to do. I fought a Dangerous Clipper in my DBS the other day and despite thrusting down and attempting to get under him, once he started Face-Tanking me I could NOT break it without boosting past him and flipping around.

maybe he was reverse thrusting? Clippers are fast in reverse. But if a dbs is beating a clipper then the ai needs more tweaking

'Try' to get close if you can. I am always trying to get as close to larger ships as I can when fighting. They will often end up presenting there tops or undersides for extended periods as they try maneuver. If you can get this right it is often possible to sit just 'above' and off the back of them and murder them.

It's a tricky thing to explain how to do. I had the very same issue you describe for a long time. Now I find it easy, yet difficult to express what has changed in my flying to bring about this change. These days I do most of my fighting in a FDL and it eats big ships alive. I did spend some time trying the Clipper and it works as well, but I dislike the ship. (I can see why people like it and use it for PvP, as it can carry lots of shield cells, and that is all PvP is about), but it's underlying shields are rubbish and it's weapon load out and placement are terrible. It will be interesting to see if the Clipper becomes a thing of the past when the 1.4 CSB changes hit.

Last edited:
Its great info which for me, shows why i feel the 'conda is one of the more forgiving ships .... its not the quickest to turn .... but its the most consistent and throttle doesn't matter quite so much as say an FDL which is highly throttle sensitive

Should help my flying :)
+1 Rep!

Top Bottom