ANNOUNCEMENT Planet Coaster Announced for 2016

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Hi everyone,

more exciting times ahead! We have announced a new game - Coaster Park Tycoon - in an operations update press release. Here are the relevant details:

Coaster Park Tycoon
Frontier became the acknowledged leading developer of Tycoon games for its work on the RollerCoaster Tycoon® franchise, particularly its development of 2004’s 10M unit-selling PC game RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 which is still considered the benchmark of the Tycoon genre, more than ten years after its release in 2004.

Coaster Park Tycoon, scheduled for 2016 release on PC, is intended to raise that benchmark for ‘Tycoon’ gameplay even further by combining accessible creative features with a sophisticated simulation.

Jonny Watts, Chief Creative Officer of Frontier Developments, said:

“Coaster Park games appeal to a great many people, as proven by RollerCoaster Tycoon 3. It is a field for which Frontier has unparalleled expertise and immense passion, and one to which we have long wanted to make a ‘no-holds-barred’ return. We want Coaster Park Tycoon to be another major step forward for the simulation genre, and sit alongside Elite: Dangerous as a second major self-published franchise.”

We'll reveal more details as we progress, but in the meantime if you want to register for updates through the mailing list you can send a mail to: info@coasterparktycoon.co.uk

Thanks!

Michael

Congrats.

I know this has been asked before, but why isn't Frontier doing Rollercoaster Tycoon IV?

This is exciting news. Looking forward to following it's development!

With no kickstarter involved, will you be providing any developer updates, or will you follow a more traditional production method?

I hope the new IP won't interfere with the connection to the ED servers... or is this a different IP? ;)

Congrats and good luck with new projects FD!

It's the planetary expansion, isn't it? Coaster parks that are visible from orbit, 200km space elevator drops, rocket powered Orbis ring coasters , and a FSD assist mode that puts AR rails on the HUD showing the fastest paths through a system's gravity wells.

It's the planetary expansion, isn't it? Coaster parks that are visible from orbit, 200km space elevator drops, rocket powered Orbis ring coasters , and a FSD assist mode that puts AR rails on the HUD showing the fastest paths through a system's gravity wells.
As David Braben said, there needs to be something to do once you land there :p

Michael, your (Frontier's) own IP is great, I hope it is successful. My question about RCT4 was out of curiosity, as I have RCT3

Brilliant news - pity its not a KS then we could enjoy the roller coaster ride of ED all over again. All the best with the new venture.

Congratulations FD and great news! A healthy and diverse FD portfolio will hopefully mean an even more healthy Elite, which is where my heart and limited game-time are for now. Although the kids (and by extension, dad) may enjoy some Coaster craziness. ;)

Congratulation and actually really looki8ng forward to this one too, as RCT3 is still actively played in this household :) ... aeh ... I suppose you'll use the knowledge you acquired in E : D to nicely integrate the Oculus Rift in Coaster Tycoon?? :D

Javert

Volunteer Moderator
I think my daughter will like this announcement, given that when asked what type of things she "needs" to do on a new computer, top of the list is "Does it Play RCT3"

This is brilliant news for Frontier!
I know it is mainly a Business Tycoon game, which itself is great, but it is bound to let you build and ride your own Fun-Park and view it all in first person, this all shortly after the release of the consumer version of the Oculus Rift can only mean WIN!

Imagine it, you build a Dinosaur theme funpark, carefully planning the paths, the each of the rides, the exhibitions and then walk around your park in VR and ride the rides as if you where actually there.

Take my money now!

Last edited:
Throw in some VR/Oculus into the mix and you have a winner! Elite's implementation is so great, imagine the same but for rollercoasters!

Excuse me for not jumping in joy as the fanboys Mr Brookes but aren`t you supposed to finish this shell of a game called ED? I have waited for 15 years only to find out that it has less excitement and content than Elite First Encounters on my Amiga. And now you have other "grand designs"... Brilliant

Excuse me for not jumping in joy as the fanboys Mr Brookes but aren`t you supposed to finish this shell of a game called ED? I have waited for 15 years only to find out that it has less excitement and content than Elite First Encounters on my Amiga. And now you have other "grand designs"... Brilliant
FDev is a large studio with 266 employees. While most of them are working on ED, it's fair to say some are tasked with development of other games: Screamride & now Coaster Park Tycoon

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom