Planet Coaster: Console Edition, coming Summer 2020!

The console game isn’t until next summer. Is it possible that they could work on at least one DLC for release sometime next year and have the content from it in the console version as well?
The Console Edition is just including free content that was added via updates. I think there could be some dlcs released like cities skylines did. But not included in the base game.

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
I think we will get some improvements like weather effects like Planet Zoo or fence/wall constuction System, that would be great. Although I still waiting of a railroad crossing with barriers (please also in Planet Zoo!) and finally a shuttle function for the transport rides. Sooooo many fans are waiting for these two little things since three years 😊

Weather is not coming to Planet Coaster, as we've already explained previously. We're not implementing Planet Zoo's features, as that's not possible.

Really excited to hear of this! It was such an amazing surprise :D
I will be sure to pick one up when released! I hope to see planet zoo come along eventually. I am loving the games you guys are making, really excited for the future!

What Bo said is true. Planet Coaster uses an older version of the Cobra engine than Zoo. So, weather, etc. is not possible. Only if a Planet Coaster 2 is made will weather be possible as a Planet Coaster 2 will most likely use a newer version of the Cobra engine like Zoo.

In another thread I have confirmed that next week there'll be a quality of life update coming to PC, thanks to the work that's been done on the console edition. This is the recent Steam activity you've been seeing as well :) hope that clarifies!
Ok now im interested.

If they somehow managed to make this game run well on console-hardware then i'm expecting literal miracles for a "PC quality of life update". Console hardware is vastly weaker than most decent gaming rigs so i'm really curious how they are planning to do it. Or maybe the console audience doesn't notice low framerates as much as those on PC.

Weather is not coming to Planet Coaster, as we've already explained previously.
Just like the console version that wasn't coming. ;)

Anyway i'm very interested in the "Quality of life" update for PC but the console version is a hard pass for me because I doubt any creative simulation game can enjoyable on a controller.

Last edited:
Weather is not coming to Planet Coaster, as we've already explained previously. We're not implementing Planet Zoo's features, as that's not possible.
Looks like that PlanCo Console will be such the same as the current PlanCo for PC's without the DLC's. No reason for me to buy or jump on the hype train ... but maybe a good reason for me to leave this community.

Looks like that PlanCo Console will be such the same as the current PlanCo for PC's without the DLC's. No reason for me to buy or jump on the hype train ... but maybe a good reason for me to leave this community.
What‘s the Problem?? Why leave this community? I don‘t understand how people can be mad cause they‘re releasing a console edition?

source.gif

Jesus Christ, y'all are negative as heck.

Personally, I'm extremely excited for this. I don't have the money to buy an expensive computer to play PC, and I've always preferred consoles to computers anyways. More people will be introduced to this game as well.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of all the free features the game has gotten since launch?

There is a difference between being negative and being critical. :)

In MY opinion, PlanCo will NOT succeed on Console as much as is anticipated.
Firstly, the next-gen is not far off, secondly, the game has no fresh appeal unless it is going to be a PlanCo "1.5".
A good example for this is (yes a VERY OLD example) Pac-Man. It was a great success on Arcade Machines, a few years after
the 'home edition' was released, in 1982, Atari produced 12 million cartridges of which only 7 million were sold.
This in fact was the starting point of the 1983 Console 'crisis'.
It got bad critics as production was rushed andwas not on par with the Arcade version.
(source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_failures_in_video_gaming)
A successful console port can only work with this type of game, IF this is already being considered during early production.
Therefore i think it would have been much more sensible (in commercial success terms) to implement a console version in the production of a PlanCo2.
BUT PlanCo2 will need major improvements made to the Cobra Engine, i think PZ shows a lot of flaws that will turn to become problematic during
development of any PlanCo2 game.

I know the feeling, but rest assured, Spanky, you would be dearly missed!

It quite clearly says in the main post: Planet Coaster: Console Edition will include free content and features that have been added to the game since launch, so both Xbox and PlayStation players will be able to live out their wildest theme park dreams.

We've nothing to announce regarding DLCs on console right now.

It wasn't clear which is why i asked the question, now i remember why i dont use the forum anymore.....passive aggressive much?!

It wasn't clear which is why i asked the question, now i remember why i dont use the forum anymore.....passive aggressive much?!

Don't read too much into it, @Bo Marit was just clarifying what is and what is not going to be in the Console Edition.
I can assure you that had nothing to do with any attack or passive aggressiveness. :)

I really don't understand why there's even the need to "leave a community" over a game? As far as I can tell, there's a lot of negativity and overreacting floating around for very little reason. As people have mentioned previously, Frontier are simply releasing Planet Coaster on console in hopes of welcoming another generation of gamers into both the game and community. For this reason, I'm not even expecting there to be any difference in gameplay to the PC version. There are just some people who may purely play on console and not even touch a PC for gaming purposes (gaming PCs aren't cheap you know!).

Also I'd just like to point out that there are loads of people who, over the past 2-3 years, have been begging Frontier to release Planet Coaster on console. They did just that...and now you might as well bet that a few of those people are now the ones complaining about it. Yes, I understand it may be frustrating to some that Frontier unexpectedly did the thing they previously stated they had "no plans" for (even if this was years ago and things change over time). Heck, even I was taken aback by the announcement as I personally thought it wasn't possible. But it shows Frontier can and will surprise us and they won't announce anything until they're 101% ready to do so, not 3 years before its release!

Everyone just breathe, chill out and remember it's only a game! You're all jumping to conclusions a year before it's even released! :)

Last edited:
Haha, you have also said that we will never get Planet Coaster on console...😀, but it is ok, the Games are still fantastic how they are! Furthermore I hope a little bit for the railroadcrossng and shuttle function for the transport rides, that should be possible for both games, hopefully. And VR Support for PS4/PS5...🤪🎉🥂 All the best for you Bo and your team and thanks for your answer! Rusty

What about the downloaded content we have already brought and paid for? Are we going to have the new packages for the console platform? Or is there going to be no new DLC, just the original game specs?
Details.....???????????/

Don't read too much into it, @Bo Marit was just clarifying what is and what is not going to be in the Console Edition.
I can assure you that had nothing to do with any attack or passive aggressiveness. :)

To start the post off with "it clearly states" is textbook definition of passive agressive. It was the line about "features since launch" that was unclear .......so yeah, the last sentence would have been an appropriate response.

What about the downloaded content we have already brought and paid for? Are we going to have the new packages for the console platform? Or is there going to be no new DLC, just the original game specs?
Details.....???????????/
When GTAV was released on Console, and more than a year later came to PC did they give you the game for free, if you owned a Xbox/PS copy?
I, in all of gaming history, can't think of a single example where a cross-plattform game allowed you got freebies like this.
Dice's Battlefield 4 actually promised a free copy for XBox360 customers to upgrade to the XBone, but they never followed through with it, thus losing
its core-gamers, like me.

I don't think the DLC will be available for free, and it wouldn't make sense either. The software licence you (and I and everyone else) aqcuired is
exclusive to the PC version.

Hope this clears it up from a consumer viewpoint. :)

To start the post off with "it clearly states" is textbook definition of passive agressive. It was the line about "features since launch" that was unclear .......so yeah, the last sentence would have been an appropriate response.

I think you read too much into it, but i'm not gonna argue with you, it's your opinion. :)

There is a difference between being negative and being critical. :)

In MY opinion, PlanCo will NOT succeed on Console as much as is anticipated.
Firstly, the next-gen is not far off,
Porting code from PS4 to PS5 is reportedly requiring little to no effort from leaks from other developers. Frontier is probably barred NDAs from saying so officially, but personally I be surprise not to see announcement somewhere around the middle of next year that all of Frontier titles are going to appear on PS5 and the next Xbox console. An given their massive Elite update, 2 new games coming out in 2022 financial year, so possible 2021, that would be the perfect time for a new expo.
I also wouldn't be entirely surprise if they migrant their sharing parks and creations solutions from the consoles to the PC and remove steam functionality, probably some time in 2021. Especially if they plan future Planet games to be cross platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom