Planet Coaster is looking good...Almost TOO good....

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Cruuising the forum, something started to creep up from behind me... It's the evil man named Reality. Too bad I can't pull a South Park and create a Safe Space with this guy out of the picture but let's face it, RCTW is not making it hard to surpass it in my opinion. This creates an indirect higher expectation of this game even if it has had not that much to shown about it outside of the Dev Diaries, highlighting the absolute jewels that are (dare I say it?) supposedly in the game. The fact that this seems to be financed through a sort of crowdfunding (the 80 buck across the board thing) and just a lot of personal bad experiences with this have made me really weary of the possible outcome of this.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support RCTW in any way shape or form, it's given enough reason not to do that. I also love the vids with the security guard tazing the cleaner and Gulpee eating a kid. But with all the commotion on the other side of town it has inadvertently shifted my expectations of this marvelous looking game dramatically to the point that it's almost looking too good to be true.

I'm not too worried about it being a disappointment simply because Frontier has got money. They've released several successful games, most recently Elite Dangerous which has sold very well, so I'm really not worried about them not having resources to make whatever they want happen. I think that's the biggest problem for Nvizzio working on RCTW, they are not a big team, they don't have a whole lot of money, and they were probably told to get something out as quickly as possible by Atari. Frontier doesn't answer to anyone but themselves, and that's a huge advantage to have when doing creative work because you eliminate that person with a lot of say, who couldn't care less if your coaster runs like it should as long as the game makes money.

With that said, no game will be perfect, and there will always be people that are disappointed. But Frontier themselves have said that the release of the game is only the beginning of Planet Coaster, they plan on expanding this game for many years to come. So hopefully as many people as possible will be satisfied at some point.

Edit: It's only about a month until the early bird gets here, we'll know a LOT more about what the game will offer at that point.

Last edited:
Money does not equal success. Look at all the supposedly triple A games that are.... problematic....

But I do hope to see more of the game quickly.

Of course not, but my point is that if you're not driven by a need for monetary gain, you have more room to be creative. A lot of AAA games are developed by small-ish/medium sized studios and only published by a huge company, this means that the developer is pressured by someone above them that only cares about money to put out a product at a certain time and at a certain expectation. Frontier both develops and publishes Planet Coaster - meaning, they only have to answer to themselves, and can therefore do whatever they want.

Last edited:
So the real question is more something like : Is the "number one" of Frontier want to create a great game and make money by selling it, or to make money with the development of a game ? [rolleyes]

Personally, I would say the first, but I'm still waiting about informations about the economic model to be 100% sure.

Yeah, Just in case the game would be as good as Minecraft, but someone at the top, decides they must sell cubes in a cashshop thinking that they earn more money this way ... We never knows, after all, they have this : https://www.frontierstore.net/game-extras/elite-dangerous-game-extras.html [sad]

I am worried.

Brett C

Frontier
So the real question is more something like : Is the "number one" of Frontier want to create a great game and make money by selling it, or to make money with the development of a game ? [rolleyes]

Personally, I would say the first, but I'm still waiting about informations about the economic model to be 100% sure.

Yeah, Just in case the game would be as good as Minecraft, but someone at the top, decides they must sell cubes in a cashshop thinking that they earn more money this way ... We never knows, after all, they have this : https://www.frontierstore.net/game-extras/elite-dangerous-game-extras.html [sad]

I am worried.

Of which, that store section was decided by the DDF-level kickstarter backers. Only things sold on the store for Elite Dangerous "addons/extras" are purely cosmetic. They give no actual player gain.

Well I hope they don't go down the Elite and Dangerous route, like buying paint packs to colour your rides and other extras because being a young person who relies on weekly pocket money, or a pensioner like myself, who is on state pension, won't be able to afford, keep buying all these extras. I don't mind having to buy one off full expansion packs like we had for RCT3, but not to pay extra for small add on items, just to be able to recolour things in the game.

Paying extra for the privilege of getting the Early Release was in my opinion worth it. I also bought the CH Club option and bought a vip ticket for creating my own guest, but to spend £500 for my name to be placed on a plaque is way too much and to be honest, I don't really want my name outside everyone's park. So really, I have helped to fund this game already, which I don't mind, as I know that Frontier will give us a good game at the end of the day.

That's because it is too good to be true.
The clips you are referring to are all pre-rendered and are NOT in game footage- they are just meant to show the teams creativity and ambitions. It's what they want the game to look like. It's possible that the game will end up looking just like that, but it's also just as likely that it won't.

However, the "absolute jewels" in the dev diary are all in game- as the majority of what they show in them is actual in-game footage and not pre-rendered. -Landscaping- tunnels- modular building- etc...it's all there- and it's all going to be in the alpha- or at least should be- water??? I haven't seen any yet.

That's because it is too good to be true.
The clips you are referring to are all pre-rendered and are NOT in game footage- they are just meant to show the teams creativity and ambitions. It's what they want the game to look like. It's possible that the game will end up looking just like that, but it's also just as likely that it won't.

However, the "absolute jewels" in the dev diary are all in game- as the majority of what they show in them is actual in-game footage and not pre-rendered. -Landscaping- tunnels- modular building- etc...it's all there- and it's all going to be in the alpha- or at least should be- water??? I haven't seen any yet.

It would be nice if we could see water [up] and even better some waterfalls [big grin]
Would it work if I ask humbly ? [rolleyes]

Keep up the good work and tums up [up]

At first I read this :
Of which, that store section was decided by the DDF-level kickstarter backers.
and I said to myself "okay, so it's a excpetion for this game". I can understand that. Kickstarter rules and things like that ... okay ...

... Then, you added :

Only things sold on the store for Elite Dangerous "addons/extras" are purely cosmetic. They give no actual player gain.
And here we are !!!
I am worried EXACTLY because of this kind of comment !!!!!

For exemple, in a Moba, if you sell me a "skin" for my character, it's only cosmetic, you can play without, and this give no actual player gain. Same for Elite:Dangerous.
But in PlanetCoaster almost everything is cosmetic. I mean ... It's a theme park building game ! Absolutly everything give "no actual player gain", because it's not a competitive game.

So, what if someone from your team say "Hey guys, let sell a "PlanetCoaster Theme Pack - Spooky Edition DLC ?"

And If I'm wrong, well it's simple, just tell it : "No, we will never sell any DLC", "Microtransactions are not part of our strategy" or something.

Right ?

Brett C

Frontier
We've not announced anything on the status of Planet Coaster on whether or not us adding additional store bought items for the game. Please do not assume that if we have something on ProductA that we will do the same and copy it over to ProductB and/or ProductC. [happy]

We've not announced anything on the status of Planet Coaster on whether or not us adding additional store bought items for the game. Please do not assume that if we have something on ProductA that we will do the same and copy it over to ProductB and/or ProductC. [happy]
When you do something like that please make it free for people who bought Early Acces. €70 is a bit to much for only playing the game some time earlier, or you have something special planned for the Early birds [squeeeeee]

I assume nothing, this is not an accusation, I just ask a question. (and I'm sorry to make some noise about this.)

I'm okay to be "teased" about things like "darkrides", "new coasters", "new mascots" and other features of the games, because you know, people like good surprises.
But the economic model (and by force of circumstances : UGC) is not a question, it is a concern.

I'm just worried because of some extremely greedy game companies. And given current trends of some giant firms, I'd be crazy not to be !
By dint of pulling on the rope, people have lost confidence.

At first I read this : and I said to myself "okay, so it's a excpetion for this game". I can understand that. Kickstarter rules and things like that ... okay ...

... Then, you added :

And here we are !!!
I am worried EXACTLY because of this kind of comment !!!!!

For exemple, in a Moba, if you sell me a "skin" for my character, it's only cosmetic, you can play without, and this give no actual player gain. Same for Elite:Dangerous.
But in PlanetCoaster almost everything is cosmetic. I mean ... It's a theme park building game ! Absolutly everything give "no actual player gain", because it's not a competitive game.

So, what if someone from your team say "Hey guys, let sell a "PlanetCoaster Theme Pack - Spooky Edition DLC ?"

And If I'm wrong, well it's simple, just tell it : "No, we will never sell any DLC", "Microtransactions are not part of our strategy" or something.

Right ?

It AL depends on how well the game sells I think,if it sells very very good I hoop we see nice expansions 1( or 2)[haha] per year and non DLC.
If it not sell so good it might just happen that we see DLC and i have no problem at Al if the do so.
At the end of the day some one needs to pay the bill and a company with 400+ employees cost lots of money(in the millions per year) and no one works for noting and Frontier needs a healthy business.
Or we have no game (expansions) at Al [mad]

Last edited:
[...]If it not sell so good it might just happen that we see DLC and i have no problem at Al if the do so. [...]
Good for you, but not my case.

I just dont want these small DLC that pollute the video game industry. [mad] <= I can put this smiley too.

the passive aggressiveness on this forum...
I personally have no hidden hostility towards anyone.

I just want this game to be successful in the long term, a not a stupid cash machine in the short term.

Last edited:
I also wait for the kind of information about economic strategy for this game. I really not like in-game buy style of many ipad/android where you've to pay for almost everything. Because it's right, everything in PlanetCoaster is cosmetic and will not change the game... So, to pay for complete expansion that adds to the gameplay (like Soaked made for RCT3), no problem at all with this. But to pay for every theme, rides, etc. it will have no end. That's where the UGC is so important, to be able to have good replay value without buy for 50$ of DLC. If there's UGC support and DLC, we'll have the choice to buy specific item in DLC or use free UGC, so it will not be the same problem.

I hope that we'll more information about UGC support in the game soon.

Yes, microtransactions kill the game... Big expansion is ok if there is a lot of things into and if we don't have 1000 dlc's/expansions.... I think also that 67 euros for the early is very much, and free addons will be great! [heart][yesnod] The best thing will be 1-2 expansions + CSO's! [heart]

Did you read my entire post ? I thinking not , if the games sells very well I am not for DLC at Al !
Yeah, I read you entire post.

But the thing is, it's not how it works. when you establish an economic strategy is before pre-production.

Here, you are talking about a "plan B", of course, in case of bankruptcy. they must use all means possible to save jobs, but it's not even close to the real concern I'm talking about for now, sorry to tell that. Given the quality of their work to date, they are on track to exceed 10 millions sales, so here, I'm talking about the "economic strategy" !!!

They can deliberately block the custom content, to sell some DLC in a cashshop, and this is the real concern here.
This game NEED UGC, this is what will make all the success of this game.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom