Planet Coaster VS Elite Dangerous ?

Hi All, this is a question and a warning to the devs. When I and many others bought elite dangerous we were promised a game of great depth and immersion a promise that was not fulfilled as you well know due to the hundreds of thousands of complaints that you received from your customers , i did post on the elite forums that elite dangerous was not a finished game (5 days before release) and it never got better or deeper yet you released it all the same , please dont make the same mistake with Planet Coaster. we want this game to be Awesome, but we dont want to be ripped off again, by promises of a deep inspiring game , thats nothing but animated wallpaper. so please learn from your customers and make us all happy ( just like rct3). Dont get me wrong its looking amazing, and i mean AMAZING and your AI coders are some of the best i have ever seen, let alone the CGI staff, its Beautiful. And the Landscape editor is a work of art, (im still trying to work out how this was done , so impressive) but please dont fail us at the last hedge.

Last edited:
I hope not as i said I bought the full elite package and was so disappointed that me and all my m8s have not even played it since its original release, even with all its updates we have no interest of ever loading or playing that game ever again, Once bitten twice shy. this applies to me and all my m8s, none of us even gone near that game since release. no matter how good it is now. so first impressions count.

Last edited:
Trust Greg. He's part of Coaster Head Club so he knows things we don't. A lot of things. So even reading, " you won't be let down" in regards to depth from an insider is comforting

Hi All, this is a question and a warning to the devs. When I and many others bought elite dangerous we were promised a game of great depth and immersion a promise that was not fulfilled as you well know due to the hundreds of thousands of complaints that you received from your customers , i did post on the elite forums that elite dangerous was not a finished game (5 days before release) and it never got better or deeper yet you released it all the same , please dont make the same mistake with Planet Coaster. we want this game to be Awesome, but we dont want to be ripped off again, by promises of a deep inspiring game , thats nothing but animated wallpaper. so please learn from your customers and make us all happy ( just like rct3). Dont get me wrong its looking amazing, and i mean AMAZING and your AI coders are some of the best i have ever seen, let alone the CGI staff, its Beautiful. And the Landscape editor is a work of art, (im still trying to work out how this was done , so impressive) but please dont fail us at the last hedge.

I also played elite - even went to the even launch - Not sure what you mean by a not a finished game - it was finished enough for release, just didn't have all the features you wanted, like landing on planets etc - They did say it was a 10 year plan, and will be adding features etc every year for 10 years, and so far they have kept that promise, You can now land on planets (well since last December 2015), though it only be dust balls and not planets like Earth, but that will come.

Planet coaster - yes it's the same firm - but NOT the same internal team - the team at frontier did RCT3 and basically every person on the PC team has over 10 years experience on coaster games - some going way back even longer (e.g. Johnny Watts). They have already done a great grounding for the game and it can only get better, and they have to make it great because of that other "competition" game that is out there, yes, it's not very good, but it's still competition, which is GOOD for us consumers as they have to make PC better!

I havent played elite, but I visited the neogaf official thread they have there, and people seem quite happy there of what they are getting in elite and all the depth the game has, and that they are expanding it month after month.

BTW they are two different teams working on Frontier (believe me, Ive seen them with my own eyes), and even if im sure both of them are amazing, they could have different thoughts of design philosophy for games.

Oh wait...
I hope not as i said I bought the full elite package and was so disappointed that me and all my m8s have not even played it since its original release, even with all its updates we have no interest of ever loading or playing that game ever again, Once bitten twice shy. this applies to me and all my m8s, none of us even gone near that game since release. no matter how good it is now. so first impressions count.

this explains a lot of things.
As I was lucky enough to see what Frontier was working on, I can asure you the game is finished and a complete package. Now, if you have some super high and impossible expectations of what there needs to be or not in the game, that is going to be surely exapanded after release, then you are never going to be happy with the result m8, no matter how good the game ends up being.

Last edited:
There comes a point in every game's development where the powers that be have to make the decision to stop adding features and actually release it. With Elite, and with hindsight, I think that most would say it was probably 6 months too soon -- certain features that were detailed in depth in the design archives were very basic at release, and the fact of release effectively baked them so they're subsequently hard to change. But it's unfortunately a financial reality that *had* Frontier waited another 6 months, they'd have been putting the very business at risk. While Elite was in development they effectively had no solid revenue, as all sales to that point were "deferred" income and so couldn't be booked as revenue. Being self-funded there's no publisher to increase the budget or to bail them out, so money is a solid driver.

The same thing goes for Planet Coaster. I'm sure that the developers would love to be given an extra n months to continue adding features and content to the game. But again, they have a large team working on it and at some point they have to start generating income from the game. So they draw a line in the sand, and work toward that goal. What this means is that at first release some people might be disappointed that some feature they wanted didn't make the cut. But what I'm certain of is that like with Elite, Frontier will continue to add to Planet Coaster after its release. The biggest thing I learned about the developers during my day with them is that they're *hugely* passionate about this genre, and they don't want to just drop it and move on.

I'm sorry that you are disappointed with Elite Dangerous. But I have to say it was clear from the beginning, even before, that the Game will expand over time. You chose not to go back, which is fine, but it is a pretty dumb decision. I'll make a guess here and state that you are too young to have played the first Elite and don't know what to expect from the game. This is not a game where you have a storyline that revolves around you as the big hero saving the Galaxy. No you are just a Pilot among others that just try to make a living in the Universe.

For your grand Storyline where your ego gets massively stroked, you have to play another Game I'm afraid.

Of course Elite is not perfect, but I enjoy it and it is fun to see it grow :)

I felt E: D was missing something. I couldnt really put my finger on it - but it wasnt the game I had been waiting years and years for. Planetcoaster on the other hand has a great deal of quality game play. The Alpha isn't the finished product and the community is eager to see what the Beta adds, (for example the full management aspect) let alone the final game.. But there's absolutely no comparison in terms of the types of games they are and what you can do in them.

There's enough videos out there to determine if its for you, my personal opinion is that its only limited to your imagination.

Last edited:
Gregor knows. :) He's one of the very lucky ones to have signed NDA and know much more. He and the others say we will not get disappointed. I can't wait for the beta to come out. <3

As dor Elite Frontier, well it is another game. We have all been here and writing about how we would like it, and what/which format it should be sold by, etc.. They DO listen to us (at least have our opinions in weighing), they DO read the forums even if they do not reply.
Plus learning and evolving.

Of course, what We want might be another thing, but I will for now trust the opinion of the lucky ones. ;)
[yesnod]

If you watch popular big Youtubers playing this game, it's amazing how creative people can be. But to achieve that level of creativeness and work requires a crap load of time. Hours upon hours, days, weeks, take into account your schedule. Beta and full versions should add more flare to this game, since it's only in Alpha. Frontier is one of my favorite game developers, the ideas they put into their games. I've seen Elite Dangerous on Xbox One. I get bored playing space games as you are spending quite a bit of time travelling in an ocean of darkness/space. But it depends what type of player you are. Frontier, that I know of, don't charge like $1.99/minute when you call them, unlike what EA... ahmm.... , does.

Im a bit Happier that Gregor has inside information and can assuage my fears, As for my expectations, If it is a better looking version of RCT3 (Non expanded version) then im happy, i have not been watching the latest youtube videos as I already own the game and want it to be a surprise with the new content i have not seen.[happy]

Im a bit Happier that Gregor has inside information and can assuage my fears, As for my expectations, If it is a better looking version of RCT3 (Non expanded version) then im happy, i have not been watching the latest youtube videos as I already own the game and want it to be a surprise with the new content i have not seen.[happy]

You only need to see the image posted yesterday to see how much depth they've been putting to the game for the beta, and how much they have heard us to make a game that we will love.
Im SURE some people here are still going to say things that they wanted are missing, but having been with gregor and other CHC on our visit to Frontier, I can assure you its a finished and more deep game than RCT3. What you need to understand already is theres things they expanded in this game that were nowhere to be find in RCT3, and things they decided to add to RCT3 that are still not in this game, but that doesnt mean they will not be in the future, nor does it mean that does were complelty releveant of what a full game means.

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
You only need to see the image posted yesterday to see how much depth they've been putting to the game for the beta, and how much they have heard us to make a game that we will love.
Im SURE some people here are still going to say things that they wanted are missing, but having been with gregor and other CHC on our visit to Frontier, I can assure you its a finished and more deep game than RCT3. What you need to understand already is theres things they expanded in this game that were nowhere to be find in RCT3, and things they decided to add to RCT3 that are still not in this game, but that doesnt mean they will not be in the future, nor does it mean that does were complelty releveant of what a full game means.

Ofcourse there will be stuff missing :)

We have been used to playing RCT3 with 2 expantion packs and a gigantic pile of UGC over the years. So RCT3 is a very "complete" game. For the most part it has every thinkable ride in it. So when people expect that PC to have all of that, they will be dissapointed.

I even doubted myself. I love RCT3 and i doubted how a game could ever be SO good that it could overshadow all the content that RCT3 has?

Well, take a look at PC, the base game is awesome!! And when comparing to RCT3 it might lack a few rides but thats only common sense. Just look at all the details and stuff.
And im pretty sure (as the game seems to be succesfull) that in due time the game will get bigger and bigger and maybe at one time might have even more content then RCT3.

Still hoping that at least 1 water ride will make it...;-)

(Typing this on my mobile, can't do the emojis unfortunately)

One thing we forget is that as graphical quality increases, so do production times. Adding a new ride isn't just a case of modelling and creating a basic animation for it. It needs to be modelled, textured, rigged, QA'd and that's all before being handed over to the animation guys to make it look realistic. Because it *has* to look realistic otherwise the community will complain. There's also audio, UI and other gameplay logic that needs to be sewn in.

I'm sure that by now Frontier have their workflow completely sorted out so that they can streamline the whole process, but it wouldn't surprise me if it takes at least a month to go from concept to fully integrated in-game for a basic flatride.

We want a AAA game. We wouldn't accept an RCT3 clone. So we have to be pragmatic and realise that with a finite budget and resource, we're not going to get everything that everyone wants at release (and I'm sure that goes for the developers too). They'll go for features that provide the biggest bang-for-buck, and *hopefully* continue to add to the game post-release assuming it's a commercial success.

Top Bottom