Planet Zoo AMA! (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit - 18 September 2019 - 2PM UTC / 3PM BST

100ker
Hi Bo and team!!! Will there be collision in the game? (Like animals not going through each other kinda thing?)
And will there be different coats/patterns/fur shades to animals?
So excited for the game. THANKS FOR EVERYTHING YOU GUY DO!!!
Ps. My favorite animal is the snow leopard!
Andrew ChappellHi 100ker! We have some clever tech to allow for variations in animals patterns and some colour variation in fur. This is all driven by our animal genetics system, and looks really cool when you have a herd of zebra with different stripes!

I wish they would have actually answered that part in the question about collision. From what I've seen/done in Planet Coaster, that was a huge frustration, esp related to collision. There was so many weird little hacks in PC to get that kind of stuff to work. I really hope they improved it for PZ.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
I wish they would have actually answered that part in the question about collision. From what I've seen/done in Planet Coaster, that was a huge frustration, esp related to collision. There was so many weird little hacks in PC to get that kind of stuff to work. I really hope they improved it for PZ.
It would indeed be great to hear more about animals and collision.

Another thing that I was discussing with some fellow members of DeLadysigner Discord was the question if animals will be able to cross ride tracks? I recall that Frontier Staff did say something about this previously (I believe it was stated that animals cannot cross ride tracks), but I wonder if there is anything that can be done about it. Unfortunately I didn't think of this question during the AMA.

It would be great if animals can cross ride tracks that are built inside habitats. If they can't, then ride tracks are technically some kind of barrier for the animals. If, for example, you build a track ride through the middle of a habitat, then you will separate that habitat into two halves if animals can't cross the ride tracks. I hope that this can be avoided in the game by enabling animals to cross ride tracks. If not, then I'm sure that there is a reason behind the inability.

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but there was a few extra questions answered after the AMA was over that are not on the list! Like mine. (I asked how long it takes to develop the themes) So worth having another scroll though the original thread :)

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Not sure if it was already mentioned, but there was a few extra questions answered after the AMA was over that are not on the list! Like mine. (I asked how long it takes to develop the themes) So worth having another scroll though the original thread :)
Thanks. I am aware that some extra questions were answered and will update this thread as soon as I have time. :)

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
More questions and answers from the Planet Zoo AMA!
These questions and answers have been added to the main post here.

Nin-kaii
Hello Frontier team! I got a few questions, feel free to answer any or one.
  1. How do you approach creating the environments in the game? How many people work on each stage and how long does it take you guys to fully create one theme? I'm a game art student and curious how the development works.
  2. Will there be rare genetic mutations of fur colours? (For example Albino lions)
  3. Will be be an aquarium expansion?
I love fishes so I hope we'll get an aquarium expansion in the future, but as for the confirmed game animals I'm in love with the springbok antelope!! <3 Can't wait to see them in game.
Marc Cox
Thank you for posting such great questions Nin-kaii.​
I can answer the first question for you.​
The environments are split into three main components. The first two, terrain and foliage, come together to compose each biome specific to a world location. For instance the tropical biome has textures for the ground and rocks that are appropriate for areas of the world with those climates while the trees and plants are also picked for their suitability. A complete set for tropical could take up to two months with around 3 people working together.​
The third component is themed scenery.​
This has been chosen based on typical human architecture, past and present, that could be found in regions of the world where we would also find the animals included in the game. Including the concept art we would have 8 artists generating the assets for the theme working over a period of around 3 months.​
We have much more that contributes to the composition of a zoo, everything from transport rides to exhibits and barriers to keep the animals in (or the guests out?). Not to mention the staff buildings and facilities. Somehow we’ve managed to do it all in the space of about 2 years. It’s an epic game :)
I wish you well in your studies and success in your career goals.​
kindest regards,​
Marc​

tigris115
Hi Bo,
Just wanted to say that I love what Frontier is doing with PZ. I wanted to ask some questions as to the nature of the game
  1. How did they make it so the patterns of animals like zebras and tigers are unique?
  2. What was it like programming the climbing and how long did it take?
  3. Is there any concept art that I can look at on websites like ArtStation?
  4. Will animal models vary such as with manes, horns, tusks, antlers, etc?
  5. Will there be maps that aren't just in the middle of nowhere like PC? I'd especially like zoos within cities similar to London, Berlin, Central Park, and Vienna.
Marc Cox
Hello there tigris115. So kind of you to post these questions.​
I can answer the question on animal patterns !​
Patterns are a clever use of what we call ‘alpha masks’ applied to the animals textures. These can be adjusted and randomised by code with the values then stored to be used in the genetic make-up of these specific creatures. These numbers are like a unique ‘footprint’ for each animal. We didn’t want to give you a ton of animals all looking the same !​
We’re really happy with the results and shows just how much detail we’ve added to Planet Zoo for the player to enjoy.​
kindest regards,​
Marc​

Last edited:
Top Bottom