šŸ§ Planet Zoo: Aquatic Pack arriving 8 December! šŸ§

Well, I am so excited, that I am craving for a gameplay trailer, or an in water depth livestream :). Can't wait for 8th and for whats the future hold now aquatic life mechanics in the game.

Only wish to Planet Coaster should have the same, just to able to build a proper aqua park.

Again, the otter is such an odd species to choose, but oh well. It'll still be nice to have otters in the game regardless. I really hope it has nothing to do with the animal's size. We already know for a fact that Frontier can quite successfully deal in smaller species, even tiny ones (Compsognathus in JWE), so I hope this isn't a sign that we won't be getting such animals in PZ. If the giant otter was chosen because a smaller, more iconic species was deemed "too small" then that dashes the hopes of ever seeing a common animal like the meerkat in the game.

Anyway, I've decided to take a sick day on the 8th when this drops. Haven't had one in a while and this seems like a good enough reason to take an unscheduled day off.

I would definitely trust your judgement on this one much more than mine. As you know I was an advocate for the Asian small clawed otter, however in RL I have designed a highly complexed multi level habitat for Giant otters at Zoo Miami. They are amazing to look at, but from a visitors perspective the Asian small clawed otter (also house in the same zoo) is a far more engaging and active species. Not sure what the reason here might be, since I know that in the wild Giant otters are fairly active as well, but given the level of enrichment intricacy as well as funds allocated for the Giant otter exhibit, it was for some time a little frustrating no seeing them engage their surroundings in the way we expected them too.

They have acclimated fairly well by now, and spend a reasonable amount of time interacting with the exhibit, but never at the level of the Asian small clawed otters. I often wondered what that species would have done with an exhibit so richly designed. Unfortunately, something like that would never happen, as their space requirement is very small in comparison to the giant otters, and no zoo would spend that amount of money on designing an exhibit of that scope for the smaller and more common species. Even Georgia Aquarium, an institution never shy on allocating the necessary funds for mega exhibits, did not spent considerable effort in their habitat, it is rather plain.

Would love to know what your experiences and training in the other side of the world have shown you in this regard. Any zoos in New Zealand keep the giant otter? That is one country I have yet to visit.

Hmmm,... I have a little experience with Asian otters but not of giant otters. At a guess, though, it might be that short clawed otters are more generalist (eating smaller, more hidden invertebrates as well as fish and big inverts?). If so, Iā€™d expect them to be more inquisitive than their larger cousins, just due to their ecology. Also, smaller animals have a higher metabolic rate so they probably have to eat more often than giant otters and therefore be more constantly active?... just a couple of quick thoughts (Iā€™m an behavioural and evolutionary ecologist so I tend to go for those types of explanations)

Hmmm,... I have a little experience with Asian otters but not of giant otters. At a guess, though, it might be that short clawed otters are more generalist (eating smaller, more hidden invertebrates as well as fish and big inverts?). If so, Iā€™d expect them to be more inquisitive than their larger cousins, just due to their ecology. Also, smaller animals have a higher metabolic rate so they probably have to eat more often than giant otters and therefore be more constantly active?... just a couple of quick thoughts (Iā€™m an behavioural and evolutionary ecologist so I tend to go for those types of explanations)

That is an insightful perspective, and matches what I have been told in the past by keepers at Zoo Miami that work with both. As you said besides their constant activity, the biggest factor for me is how inquisitive and full of curiosity the Asian small clawed otter is. The Giant ones, while impressive to look at, do seem to remain inactive for longer periods of time. But I guess that since this is a game, and Frontier does not necessarily have to follow a specific set of rules, they could tweak their behavior, and probably the giant otters we end up with behave like Asian small clawed otters.

Would love to know what your experiences and training in the other side of the world have shown you in this regard. Any zoos in New Zealand keep the giant otter? That is one country I have yet to visit.

None of our zoos have anything except the Asian small-clawed otter. I have worked with them at two separate zoos but aside from some pups recently born in Auckland there seems to now be a national shortage. Both groups I worked with are now gone and both were in relatively low-budget habitats. One of the groups was all-male and especially sociable, and absolutely adored getting their photo taken by visitors. They had a very interactive underwater viewing window as well which was always fun to see.

Honestly as far as training goes the thing that stuck with me the most was being told that getting bitten by an otter feels a lot like getting hit with a hammer rather than being stabbed by something pointy, and it bruises severely.

I said it earlier in other thread but I do think the size had to do something with the fact that they chose the giant otter over the other species. But then again, they chose the small caiman so... Or perhaps it could have been the theme? Maybe they wanted 2 animals from colder water and 2 from somewhat amazonian wetlands?

I said it earlier in other thread but I do think the size had to do something with the fact that they chose the giant otter over the other species. But then again, they chose the small caiman so... Or perhaps it could have been the theme? Maybe they wanted 2 animals from colder water and 2 from somewhat amazonian wetlands?

I just don't see how that can possibly be the reason, considering the pangolin, ring-tailed lemur, and capuchin are all smaller than the giant otter.

Or perhaps it could have been the theme? Maybe they wanted 2 animals from colder water and 2 from somewhat amazonian wetlands?
Pretty sure it's that. Maybe part of the animal choice was influenced by feedback of the community? Because I think a lot of people mentioned that they were disappointed with the location packs as that it would mean you'd never get animals from that location again, and this is a way of answering that feedback?

I just don't see how that can possibly be the reason, considering the pangolin, ring-tailed lemur, and capuchin are all smaller than the giant otter.
Exactly, and their juveniles are even smaller!

Oh I am pretty sure there are more factors than that, but if they added a small otter species and small penguin species, they would not have many recognizable from distance animals in the pack. I get that most people would love smaller animals, I do too, but from the marketing point of view, they might think the bigger the better. Does not have to be true of course.

And if they do not say the reasons, we can only speculate anyways.

Last edited:
I also think part of the reason we haven't seen more small animals, is because they don't drag as much attention.
Big animals sell the game to the average player, I believe. Just like real zoos often advertise with their elephants, giraffes, big cats and so on. Many people (especially families with kids) go to the zoo for these species. Then when they are at the zoo, the smaller more unknown animals might end up being the highligt of their day. Just like I feel many players are starting to realize they need the small species to fill the gaps and bring life. Of course some small animals are stars as well; lemurs, penguins, red pandas, otters, meerkats and so on. Some of these we saw in the base game, and others seem to have been complicated to add, and that is why we are first starting to see them now (otters, penguins).

Of course this doesn't really explain the choice of otter in this case.

I do think we will see a bigger amount of smaller species, when the rest of the big popular ones are done - more rhinos, more cats, perhaps more pinnipeds., if the game is still popular then.

Oh I am pretty sure there are more factors than that, but if they added a small otter species and small penguin species, they would not have many recognizable from distance animals in the pack. I get that most people would love smaller animals, I do too, but from the marketing point of view, they might think the bigger the better. Does not have to be true of course.

And if they do not say the reasons, we can only speculate anyways.
Yeah, I think that size has a big thing with it, easier to keep track of in the zoo.

Of course, some of the smaller animals would be nice to add to have some good options for smaller habitats to work between the larger ones and fill in gaps.

There are many good reasons to put the giant otter into this game (size, conservation status, beeing from SA), but there are many good reason for the small claw otter too(most common otter species in zoos, super cute and active, often keept with orang utans). The only logical solution is to introduce both into the game!;)

Fun Fact: according to zootierliste, 4 of the 5 German zoos that keep giant otters keep small-clawed otters as well. I didn't check for the rest of Europe, but this zoo is big enough for two otter species

There are many good reasons to put the giant otter into this game (size, conservation status, beeing from SA), but there are many good reason for the small claw otter too(most common otter species in zoos, super cute and active, often keept with orang utans). The only logical solution is to introduce both into the game!;)

Fun Fact: according to zootierliste, 4 of the 5 German zoos that keep giant otters keep small-clawed otters as well. I didn't check for the rest of Europe, but this zoo is big enough for two otter species

The look of the asian small clawed or the european fishotter (I prefer the small clawed for zoos) is also what most people outside of the US seem to accociate when they hear "otter". In the US they seem to more talk about the sea otter (which would be unusual for us in germany again).

In short: One otter isn't enough ;) We need two more, I guess.

I've seen many people asking for otters, but probably none of them was thinking of the giant Otter šŸ¤” they look a lot less cute but their natural environment probably is more interesting. Anyway another otter would be appreciated. A mantee o dugong would be really appreciated too I guess, they would be my first choice of aquatic animals

D22D170E-2F9F-41B9-B38D-03D057C14EC1.jpeg

@Swjosdotschka these are actually the most common otters in US zoos. These two are North American River Otters at my local zoo. I havenā€™t been to a ton of zoos but Iā€™m actually yet to see a sea otter.

@Swjosdotschka these are actually the most common otters in US zoos. These two are North American River Otters at my local zoo. I havenā€™t been to a ton of zoos but Iā€™m actually yet to see a sea otter.

Oh, really? Okay, than it was a misconception on my part. Most US people in my timeline share sea otter pics on social media when someone says "otter". And boy, these two are big as well. :)

Oh, really? Okay, than it was a misconception on my part. Most US people in my timeline share sea otter pics on social media when someone says "otter". And boy, these two are big as well. :)

This is interesting to me, because I'm Canadian but I've never seen any otter in person beyond the sea otter. But that's because they have them at the Vancouver Aquarium, which is the best place to see animals around here. (The Vancouver Zoo kinda sucks.) And I don't get around. lol Only other zoo I've been to is the San Diego Zoo, and that's because the ONE time my family had a real Vacation (was in 2010 I think?) we went to California so we could hit Disneyland, Universal, SeaWorld, and San Diego Zoo all in one go. I would love to see other Canadian zoos though, I've never been in other provinces. I imagine sea otters are common in west coast zoos, and river otters are probably more common in the rest of the US and Canada.

This is interesting to me, because I'm Canadian but I've never seen any otter in person beyond the sea otter. But that's because they have them at the Vancouver Aquarium, which is the best place to see animals around here. (The Vancouver Zoo kinda sucks.) And I don't get around. lol Only other zoo I've been to is the San Diego Zoo, and that's because the ONE time my family had a real Vacation (was in 2010 I think?) we went to California so we could hit Disneyland, Universal, SeaWorld, and San Diego Zoo all in one go. I would love to see other Canadian zoos though, I've never been in other provinces. I imagine sea otters are common in west coast zoos, and river otters are probably more common in the rest of the US and Canada.

Totally random info, but my favourite kids TV show back in the day was recorded in the vancoover aquarium :love::love::love: Sorry, just had a nostalgia flashback.

Top Bottom