Planet Zoo Deluxe Edition: Exclusive Animal Reveals

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Hello awesome Zookeepers!

The Planet Zoo Beta is coming soon, and everyone who pre-orders the Deluxe Edition will be able to take part! As well as access to the Beta (running from 24 September to 8 October 2019), the Planet Zoo Deluxe Edition also includes three exclusive animals: the Pygmy Hippopotamus, Thomson’s Gazelle, and the Komodo Dragon!

The Pygmy Hippopotamus is only half as tall as the Common Hippopotamus, and is native to the forests and swamps of West Africa.

Living in the Serengeti regions of Tanzania and Kenya in Africa, Thomson’s Gazelle prefers to live in dry grassland - although it can also be found in woodland.

The Komodo Dragon is the largest living species of lizard. They can grow up to 3 metres long and weigh over 300 pounds, as these dominant predators will eat almost anything.

These three animals all come with their own set of habitat and enrichment needs you’ll need to fulfill to ensure they are happy and cared for in their habitats. They are exclusive to the Deluxe Edition of Planet Zoo so be sure to pre-order your copy today!

Enjoy your weekend,
🦁

Funny, I was least looking forward to the Thomson Gazelle and most loooking forward to the pygym hippopotamus. Now it's the other way round. The gazelles look perfect! The pygym screenshot probably isn't the best angle. Looking forward to see them moving and roamning i a more swamp-like habitat.

At one point my home zoo had all 3 of these species but the gazelles have since left the collection.

All 3 look amazing.
Thomsons gazelles are so much prettier than springbok's imo. Nice species to combine with zebras, too.
Pygmy hippo's are amongst my favourite animals. They look so cute.
Not the biggest fan of Komodo dragons, but I would love to use them in an 'Islands' themed park (Galapagos, Madagascar, Komodo, Borneo)

Really nice! The animal roster's never failed to disappoint me! I'm really happy to see my country's national animal added to the list (PROUD INDONESIAN HERE!)

3 facts for three animals:

1. Pygmy hippos are more solitary and peaceful than their infamous cousins.
2. If the cheetah is often compared to a sprinter, then the thompson's gazelle is a marathon runner. Not as fast as the former, but can go for longer without being exhausted.
3. Komodo spit is venomous thanks to bacteria living in it.

Last edited:
The Komodo Dragon(!) and the Thomson's Gazelle are the sole reason for me I've got the deluxe edition. And I'm glad about it! :)
I don'r really care about any of the other perks ... not even the beta (or at least not much ... I mean ... I'll take it ... ;) ).
I'ts a bit silly, but here you go ... :D

Edit:
... 3. Komodo spit is venomous.

Sort of. Actually, it's the toxine of putrification bacteria that live in his mouth and saturate the saliva. The Komodo Dragon doesn't have poison glands like venomous snakes.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm really happy that I've decided to buy the Deluxe version, these animals look awesome! Can't wait to see them in action (and specially some cute baby pygmy hippos).
Will the Komodo dragon female be able to do parthenogenisis?

They look great, especially the skin on the komodo dragon! Will our work in beta be saved or will we have to start over at offical launch?

3. Komodo spit is venomous thanks to bacteria living in it.
Sort of. Actually, it's the toxine of putrification bacteria that live in his mouth and saturate the saliva. The Komodo Dragon doesn't have poison glands like venomous snakes.

The theorie of the bacteria is disputed because scientists found out that those bacterias are pretty much the same as in other carnivors. Other scientists actually found glands that are thought to be venom glands similiar to the Gila Monster.

In late 2005, researchers at the University of Melbourne speculated the perentie (Varanus giganteus), other species of monitors, and agamids may be somewhat venomous. The team believes the immediate effects of bites from these lizards were caused by mild envenomation. Bites on human digits by a lace monitor (V. varius), a Komodo dragon, and a spotted tree monitor (V. scalaris) all produced similar effects: rapid swelling, localised disruption of blood clotting, and shooting pain up to the elbow, with some symptoms lasting for several hours.[48]

In 2009, the same researchers published further evidence demonstrating Komodo dragons possess a venomous bite. MRI scans of a preserved skull showed the presence of two glands in the lower jaw. The researchers extracted one of these glands from the head of a terminally ill dragon in the Singapore Zoological Gardens, and found it secreted several different toxic proteins. The known functions of these proteins include inhibition of blood clotting, lowering of blood pressure, muscle paralysis, and the induction of hypothermia, leading to shock and loss of consciousness in envenomated prey.[49][50] As a result of the discovery, the previous theory that bacteria were responsible for the deaths of Komodo victims was disputed.[51]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_dragon#Venom

Top Bottom