🦙 Planet Zoo: South America Pack coming 7 April, 2020! 🦙

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I don't like petitions. They are not really representative of what people want.
Money is the most motivating factor for a company to change, so I put my money where my mouth is and won't buy the DLC. If enough people feel the same way, they also won't buy the DLC and then Frontier will have motivation to change.
If most people are happy and they do buy the DLC, then why would Frontier change something that is working for them? Money speaks louder.

I understand what you are saying, and that is a strong point you are making. You are entitled of course to your own opinion. But the petition is just for more animals to be included, it seems to be the general consensus in most forums where this game is being talked about. At the same time I want to support Frontier and the team behind Planet Zoo, they seem like wonderful people. There is also the negative factors that are associated with not purchasing the DLCs, it could be misinterpreted as lack of demand or interest in the game. The company needs to be made aware of what is going on, so they know how to correct it in a way that the majority are satisfied.

No thanks as I’m sure frontier worked very hard on this probably a lot harder than will ever know. I understand the want and need for more animals and also the disappointment of a particular animal not making the game. To me if we ended up with 100-110 animals which is a realistic possibility I would be extremely happy with that. Considering mod support is limited at the moment that’s probably what should be expected. 150-200 animals would be great but maybe slight overkill imo. Optimization and having to play on a wide variety of systems would be overkill. Like I said pricing is debatable but what isn’t expensive nowadays. Money rules the world. I think the price is fair as I understand the level of work that goes into something like this.

I don't like petitions. They are not really representative of what people want.
Money is the most motivating factor for a company to change, so I put my money where my mouth is and won't buy the DLC. If enough people feel the same way, they also won't buy the DLC and then Frontier will have motivation to change.
If most people are happy and they do buy the DLC, then why would Frontier change something that is working for them? Money speaks louder.
You've got a point. How many people are Frontier's customers? Hundreds of thousands, right? This forum, Steam, etc etc. I'd wager less than 10% would even know this petition exist, and 5% of the 10% would take part in the petition. That makes 0.005% of the customers voicing out their concerns. That I believe, doesn't reflect the entire customer viewpoint, since everyone has different views. I don't think this drop of foreign substance is valid reason for Frontier to stop production.

A big problem with people voicing their dissatisfaction by not buying something is that it doesn't tell the company WHY they didn't buy it. It leaves too much room for confounding factors that have nothing to do with the content of the dlc (such as an economic recession, or the contemporaneous release of another big title that consumes peoples' gaming budget). Money speaks very loudly indeed, but its message is not very intelligible.

If petitions are bad, does anyone know of any better way to get a representative sample of the preferences of Frontier's customers?

If petitions are bad, does anyone know of any better way to get a representative sample of the preferences of Frontier's customers?

I'd say keep doing exactly what we've been doing so far and actually since the beta: we post and voice or concerns and wishes regarding the game here and on their other offical channels. We know they keep track of the forums and whatever we write will be seen. Now, if they actually do something about it the future is another question, but I think so far they've done a pretty good job when it comes to addressing the players feedback in their updates so I guess there's at least a chance of that happening in this case as well.

So yeah, if you wanna get your thoughts out there and make sure they're seen as well I'd say right here is the best place to do so.

Beside animals, I noticed that people are never really happy with the content. When the arctic pack released, there were people complaining that they do not care about additional career missions. So this pack is without missions and instead more building pieces, now people are dissapointed by the lack of career missions. You see people claiming they do not want building pieces and foliage, but instead just animals. But then when you look at the forum, you see threads about how we need more foliage.

I think it is important to know that Planet zoo is both zoo simulation and creativity building game, so the compromise between building and animals will probably always be there. What can I agree with, is that we need more realistic building pieces that could be used in every zoo not just the themed one. :)

Last edited:
What can I agree with, is that we need more realistic building pieces that could be used in every zoo not just the themed one. :)

Me too. I don’t really understand all the drama coming up from some people but this is something I definitely agree with.

Maybe there could even be a “zoo basics” pack with mesh, bars, barriers etc and other pieces that are important in building realistic enclosures, shelters and holding areas. There could also be a few animals included from different parts of the world.

Me too. I don’t really understand all the drama coming up from some people but this is something I definitely agree with.

Maybe there could even be a “zoo basics” pack with mesh, bars, barriers etc and other pieces that are important in building realistic enclosures, shelters and holding areas. There could also be a few animals included from different parts of the world.

I'd love to see a 'zoo basics' pack, just a small note on this one: they mentioned building pieces in the next free update..

It takes time to develop and integrate new animals into the game. I’d rather have fewer animals (plus other exciting content) more frequently (hopefully about every 3-4 months) than having to wait much longer to get the same animals all at once (1 year for 12-16 new animals).
Zoo Tycoon 2 did 20 animals a year, and for less than $40. Unlike Planet Zoo's DLC so far, Zoo Tycoon 2's expansions actually added new animation sets in every expansion. The games are 15 years appart, and the older one has more bang for your buck. I'd rather wait a year if it meant I could get more for less.

With the original release, we got a huge amount and a nice mixture of animals from different continents and biomes. Having to wait a long time to get only animals from one single continent might be cool for some players, but there are also a lot of players eagerly waiting for animals from other regions. They would have to wait at least 2 rounds of big releases (2 years???) before even having a chance to see some of their favorite animals. Having more smaller [DLC] with content from various continents and biomes is a good choice in my opinion.

You mean 30 African animals, most of which being in the grassland or tropical biomes? I can hardly call that a "nice mixture". The problem with these 4-animal packs is that they're hardly enough to do the continent any justice. Beleive it or not, South America can do better than 6 habitat animals.

And should we ever get flying animals or swimming animals, these might come as larger DLCs/expansions to make the biggest splash possible among players and in terms of advertising for the game. This is also something to keep in mind: Frontier is already working on the next new exciting content!

At the current rate the DLC is at, we won't be getting full-fledged expansions with aviaries and aquariums at all. Get ready for this summer's Oceania pack starring 4 animals for yet another $10.

Zoo Tycoon 2 did 20 animals a year, and for less than $40. Unlike Planet Zoo's DLC so far, Zoo Tycoon 2's expansions actually added new animation sets in every expansion. The games are 15 years appart, and the older one has more bang for your buck. I'd rather wait a year if it meant I could get more for less.

You mean 30 African animals, most of which being in the grassland or tropical biomes? I can hardly call that a "nice mixture". The problem with these 4-animal packs is that they're hardly enough to do the continent any justice. Beleive it or not, South America can do better than 6 habitat animals.

At the current rate the DLC is at, we won't be getting full-fledged expansions with aviaries and aquariums at all. Get ready for this summer's Oceania pack starring 4 animals for yet another $10.
Once again, exactly this

So Frontier should stop with free updates because ZT2 put all their new features/animations in paid DLC? That would also create more bang for your buck.

Comparing 2 completely different eras when it comes to gaming. No, people aren't willing to wait a year for DLC. (pretty obvious if you looked at the forum in the last couple of weeks)
People will have uninstalled the game and moved on. There's a lot more competition nowadays and frequent smaller DLC have proven (with most games) to keep the interest of your players.

Tbh, most RL zoos have a focus on African animals as well. Because of these complaints, they should just stop with the continent based DLC.

Assumptions based on nothing.

That being said, don't buy the DLC for this price - if you are unhappy with it.

So Frontier should stop with free updates because ZT2 put all their new features/animations in paid DLC? That would also create more bang for your buck.
No, I'm saying have these good updates and bigger expansions.

Comparing 2 completely different eras when it comes to gaming. No, people aren't willing to wait a year for DLC. (pretty obvious if you looked at the forum in the last couple of weeks)
People will have uninstalled the game and moved on. There's a lot more competition nowadays and frequent smaller DLC have proven (with most games) to keep the interest of your players.

Then solution here is previews and transparency. Give some sneak peaks at content to come, support the game with updates, and tell us directly how the game is developing. More behind-the-scenes stuff, less fluff. Tell us how expansions are developing and show us what's to come, even if it's in the early stages of development.

Tbh, most RL zoos have a focus on African animals as well. Because of these complaints, they should just stop with the continent based DLC.

Most zoos also have hundreds of species at their disposal. Planet Zoo still has a ways to go even if you count exhibit animals.

Assumptions based on nothing.
That being said, don't buy the DLC for this price - if you are unhappy with it.

Assumptions based on evidence. See the given DLC we know of and their highly lackluster animal counts.
I get that voting with your wallet is important, but it's equally important to actually to verbally express dissatisfaction.

Previews and transparency is not needed. People need to learn to be patient and stop being so demanding. If you are unable to do this, that's your own problem.
Majority of people have learned to do this during their life-time, and it's not that difficult.

Amount of species depends on the size of zoos. Ratio-wise African animal species are more present in zoos.

"Assumptions based on evidence" is not answer. Or did you have some inside information about upcoming DLC or expansion packs.
Nobody on this forum knows what the future brings for PZ.

I wish Frontier valued transparency and communication with players. What is needed is, at the very least, a tentative roadmap that details how they plan on supporting Planet Zoo. That is to say, it would be easier to support the game is we had a general idea to these questions

1. How will post-release content be made available? Can we expect all content via DLCs, or, will are there expansions tentatively planned as well?
  2. How many animals are planned for each DLC?
  3. Is DLC based focused on continents? (If expansions are coming, what differentiates it)?
  4. Tentative release schedule (e.g., We hope to get the first DLC out in 2019 and the second out in Early Spring)
I firmly believe everyone would benefit from some communication and a roadmap. Planet Zoo would see more discussion within the gaming community as there would be more to talk about other than the game's shortcomings/game-breaking bugs. I'm a member of ResetEra and I've only seen 2-3 threads on Planet Zoo; the announcement, the beta, and the launch. Since then there have only been a few comments made within the PC Gaming thread. A quick look at Steam Charts shows that the announcement and release of the Arctic DLC stabilized the average monthly players. The same trend is happening with the recently announced South American DLC (granted the current global lockdown had surely had a part).

Previews and transparency is not needed. People need to learn to be patient and stop being so demanding. If you are unable to do this, that's your own problem.
Majority of people have learned to do this during their life-time, and it's not that difficult.

Amount of species depends on the size of zoos. Ratio-wise African animal species are more present in zoos.

"Assumptions based on evidence" is not answer. Or did you have some inside information about upcoming DLC or expansion packs.
Nobody on this forum knows what the future brings for PZ.

Transparency and previews are absolutely needed as they stabilize the average number of players.

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
The company needs to be made aware of what is going on, so they know how to correct it in a way that the majority are satisfied.
If it's posted on the forum they will be aware of the wants and needs of the players. Petitions/Polls are not allowed..1 reason....players may think that because x amount of people signed or voted and would lead players to think "it" would be implemented. If that never happens then there would be an extremely large amount of people upset. Leading to a bit of chaos.

If it's posted on the forum they will be aware of the wants and needs of the players. Petitions/Polls are not allowed..1 reason....players may think that because x amount of people signed or voted and would lead players to think "it" would be implemented. If that never happens then there would be an extremely large amount of people upset. Leading to a bit of chaos.
When we can take something for granted, than it is, that feedback on this forum is heard. Huge free updates like the ine that is comming is a perfect proof for that. Thankfully, voicing our opinion here does matter and no petition is needed. :)

Transparency and previews are absolutely needed as they stabilize the average number of players.
No, they don't.
Should they announce DLC for the first week July 2020, that will not affect the period April-June. Maybe 1 or 2 days before DLC release.

Only when actual DLC comes out, there's a large spike in activity but soon returns to their normal state (and maybe a slight average increase afterwards - depending on type of DLC)

With some within the community on this forum being so high demanding, I would not even think about doing this. You'll have 3 months of complaining about their WIP.
(If you announce a North America DLC, people will complain: Why no Europe/Australia DLC? You get the idea :D )

This method worked fine for JWE/PC.

Man I agree with one of the posts above. No matter what frontier does somebody’s going to complain. I’m just greatfull for the five animals and attention the games receiving. Face it these twenty pack expansions are never going to happen as it would take a year to make. How many yrs of a shelf life do people think frontier is willing to give before moving to their next assignment.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom