Planet Zoo - Update 1.2.5 available now!

So here is my system:

3700X - Usually in the 4125 to 4300 MHZ range
EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 - Fans at 90%, power at 75 to 100% depending on zoo

Reason I say depending on zoo is the following:
4500 person, 116 animal zoo - 50% CPU and 40 to 50% GPU utilization, 35ish FPS, GPU @ 1974 MHZ, 55C
850 person, 31 animal zoo - 55 to 60% CPU, GPU is used 90 to 100%! 100 FPS, GPU @ 1860 MHZ, 60C+

Case fans are at 100%, 70F ambient

Why am I getting a lot more GPU usage with a much smaller zoo than I am with a much larger zoo? The GPU is most certainly waiting on things in large zoos and the usage along with temps shows. This is not imagined, this is me watching over the past few minutes and using MSI Afterburner for an OSD in game.
Did you check your gpu memory usage? (so not the core usage that you mentioned?). A friend of mine also has a 1080 and in a small zoo ALL the 8gb of his memory is in use.

Why am I getting a lot more GPU usage with a much smaller zoo than I am with a much larger zoo? The GPU is most certainly waiting on things in large zoos and the usage along with temps shows. This is not imagined, this is me watching over the past few minutes and using MSI Afterburner for an OSD in game.
You already gave yourself the answer.
PZ is cpu-heavy, that does not mean that You will be able to see a high usage overall, it might be just certain threads on one or two cores that are limiting it.
We all have to live with it. In my case I’m so far fine with 3500 visitors…but it’s really the borderline.

Last edited:
You already gave yourself the answer.
PZ is cpu-heavy, that does not mean that You will be able to see a high usage overall, it might be just certain threads on one or two cores that are limiting it.
We all have to live with it. In my case I’m so far fine with 3500 visitors…but it’s really the borderline.

But CPU utilization doesn't change much.. it is well spread out among the 16 cores.There is not 1 or 2 cores that gets spiked at 100%.. all are around 50%.

There is not 1 or 2 cores that gets spiked at 100%.. all are around 50%.
16 Cores or 16 "virtual" Cores. That is a major difference. Hyperthreading and SMT do scale 100%, depending on the software you will also not see fully usage in every cases, this picture is sometimes misleading, as this game is not a benchmark with code that runs from L1-Cache.

Its not just the picture, this is also average usage on HW Monitor. 3700X is 8 physical, 8 logical cores. Physicals get loaded down a bit more.. but even on a brand new zoo utilization is spread out very well across all cores.

Sure there is usage around all cores (in my case about the half is not really doing something, but I have a few more cores) and none is ever maxed out in any way.
Although I see changes in the core-usage pause vs. play...but in a strange manner that the higher used cores go down and 2-3 of the less used go up...
It's pretty obvious that the visitors are the mayor bottleneck (in the same park 500 vs 2500 vs 4000), all this bouncing, dancing, the visitor flow, all this stuff....which is slowing the game. This makes the big difference from fluid to slide show...and this is obviously something that is not done across all cores...or at least not in a efficient way...oir it might be the amount of data involved.
So there might be some potential to optimize the game engine.... but I don't count on it...I simply live with it.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
So there might be some potential to optimize the game engine.
there sure is... i mean, a friend of mine who has a top pc, his cpu and gpu aren't even used by 50% and he only gets 20/30 fps or so in a halfmap sized zoo..:/ all other games (also the newest ones) he can play with (almost) max cpu/gpu load. So there is deffinetly an optimization problem with this game, because when you have so few fps and it stutters, the cpu and gpu should be used more and with this game it simply doesn't. :/

Some, but don't expect a huge improvment, it's mostly same DX11 engine that they are using a couple of years now.
At least we can max out the graphics settings in planet zoo and it makes no difference in frame rate, this is something that I can not to in the newest other games ....which I might grab one right now in the sale ;)

At least we can max out the graphics settings in planet zoo and it makes no difference in frame rate,
and this is something i realy don't understand, lol... if i have for example 40 fps on highest settings and i put everything (or some settings) to the lowest... the fps goes to 42 or something... 😂 if i do that in any other game the fps just skyrock, lol

Up until the recent Windows release (as in this week) video memory usage was hard to determine. A game would grab all the video memory it would think it would need... whether it actually was using that amount or not. Now with the scheduler changes that might be different, have to wait and see.

Up until the recent Windows release (as in this week) video memory usage was hard to determine. A game would grab all the video memory it would think it would need... whether it actually was using that amount or not. Now with the scheduler changes that might be different, have to wait and see.
well.. i've tested this (downloaded the latest windows update (version 2004) last week, and yesterday the new nvidia driver which support the scheduling thing and turned it on) but in planet zoo there is no difference in gpu memory usage.. it is still 100% in a very, very small zoo with NO detailing/terraforming etc

edit: BUT... 1 thing i am VERY happy with, is that most of the stutter since all the updates (and especially the nvidia update/setting) is way less😄 😄 hopefully that stays that way and improves more with the next update and i hope the fps will also increase

Last edited:
Interesting... can you run the OSD on MS Afterburner and see what VRAM you are using? I'm pretty steady in the 4 to 6 GB with 6GB the norm after about 5 minutes of play. As far as the update I wouldn't expect it to have changed, Im sure devs are going to have to code to it to take advantage of it.

Hopefully they'll fix many more things, like the way staff don't 'work' even when set up correctly.. they let animals die. one other example: if animals 'can coexist' in the same habitat, why not feed 'all animals' instead they feed 'one type'... :mad: tbh, hardly played since purchasing a while ago now, far too unrealistic and still toying with the idea of getting my money back, all packs were a little pricy :D

Link to my Steam Workshop post on the subject. We need this game modded to work better, more functionality.

Last edited:
I am starting to get very worried for this game.

It's my 3rd attempt at playing it, each time with the apearance of gamebreaking bugs + some UI annoyances that are taking forever to fix.
Even ended up making a full beta-test report + another issue tracker 2 pages report of suggestions... pointing to framework and librairy
. No feedback.

I've kept a close watch on patches and update release + mostly comments and forums, and I don't feel anything is getting any better as new issues come up with each update.. It's just piling up. DLC are released, but base game is still not ready for expected lauch quality and is still in a sort-of-beta state. The issue tracker, community management is not up to par to the needed feedback to work collaboratively on a beta game. PR strategies need to change, communication needs some updates. Hopefully, new senior comm management @Jens Erik has been hired just for that purpose. I wish us all good luck, we all want a good enjoyable game and time.

I will be back in a few months again to give the game another go.

I am starting to get very worried for this game.

Me too mate. I love this game. I've played more of this game than any other in my library in the last year. Especially since lockdown came into play.
However the same issues have been present for a very long time now.
  • FPS drops are still a real and genuine issue once your zoo expands to any decent size. It slowly goes from 60+ frames down to 40, 30, 20, 10 and then into single figures. It's an issue which has been marked as "acknowledged" for around 2 months or so now yet the problems still remain.
  • Animals are still walking through barriers and walls. I've seen this reported loads of times in the issue tracker. Often gets confirmed too. Most have expired now.
  • Food grade bug has been present since two updates ago.
I mean I know times are hard right now. It can't be easy working from home for game development. But it's the sheer silence that disturbs me the most.
I'd happily accept waiting for fixes to be implemented - these things can take a lot of time - if only someone would be clear with us players about what is being worked on and when we can expect updates to be delivered. As things are now we get total silence for 4 weeks at a time and then receive an update that may or may not include fixes for the problems that a lot of us are experiencing. You just don't know where you stand until you read the patch notes.

Better communication would definitely help this and I sincerely hope that Frontier eventually resolve all of our problems. They're right on the line for making one of the best games we'll ever get to play... it just needs some minor tweaks and fixes to get it over that line. I eagerly await the fixes. I hope they deliver. We all want them to.

Every once in a while i drop by the Forums to see whats new or if there are new updates. Im kinda shocked to see that planet zoo has kinda been on a stop. Every other game developer is releasing new content, new patches or news about upcoming things for their games, but frontier has gone silent for some weeks time now. To say because of lockdown they are not able to work on their game is just not realistic and in my opinion it should not be used anymore as an excuse to delay things any longer...

I also dont understand how some players are only now getting worried about the state of the game or its future. It was clear since planet zoo beta that this game was going to be a cash grab with no real love or content :/

Last edited:
Every once in a while i drop by the Forums to see whats new or if there are new updates. Im kinda shocked to see that planet zoo has kinda been on a stop. Every other game developer is releasing new content, new patches or news about upcoming things for their games, but frontier has gone silent for some weeks time now. To say because of lockdown they are not able to work on their game is just not realistic and in my opinion it should not be used anymore as an excuse to delay things any longer...

Thank god Frontier isn't like "every other game developer out there".

I also dont understand how some players are only now getting worried about the state of the game or its future. It was clear since planet zoo beta that this game was going to be a cash grab with no real love or content :/

That's one bold statement to make. Do you accuse them of being a fraud?

Top Bottom