🐾 Planet Zoo - Update 1.5 coming 30 March 🐾

Again there is a difference between intrinsic and extrinsic value and intrinsic value is allways worth more than extrinsic. Adding extrinsic rewards doesn't do much to add value to a free time activity that you're doing out of intrinsic motivation. It doesn't solve inherent problems of the game mode and it doesn't spark interest beyond the reward.
adding rewards is the easiest and cheapest way to gain interest. It is almost completely worthless.
You are free to believe that but to me it adds a great deal of value. The only thing giving the reward away would achieve is reduce the value of the game for many people. Having a game mode with rewards is a big value add for many of us. People can make an argument that offering people an option to buy things instead of putting time in benefits the user and the game but since this game has no microtransactions I would be against that. It just seems like sour grapes to me though because people want something but are unwilling to work for it. We will be quoting the Communist Manifesto next.

I'm not sure that's entirely true - it depends on whether people aren't playing those modes because they've tried them and dislike them or because they haven't really tried them and have gravitated to modes they assume they assume will suit them best. It also depends if people are like myself and haven't completed the timed scenarios because I find them quite difficult so although I am interested in doing them I haven't found a reason to spend the time doing the planning / thinking I might need to do to get them right. This is extra motivation for me to put in that initial effort to get over the knowledge gaps I think are holding me back in that mode.

In other words a small increase in extrinsic value can push people to do things which do still have significant intrinsic value but not quite enough to motivate the intial outlay of effort required.
Yes, but the extrinsic value is still subordinate to the intrinsic value.
It basically boils down to this: Do you play the game(mode) because you are interested in it and have fun doing so? Or do you only play the game(mode) without joy and it's more a way to obtain the reward? If it's the first, then everything is ok. If it's the latter the game(mode) has problems or is just bad / not for you.

You are free to believe that but to me it adds a great deal of value.
Nice for you.

The only thing giving the reward away would achieve is reduce the value of the game for many people.
How so? The value of the game comes from the fun and enjoyment you get when playing it. A game should be enjoyable even if you don't get anything out of it.

Having a game mode with rewards is a big value add for many of us.
Then there is something wrong with the game, because the main value should still come from playing the game in itself. If this main value is already high, a reward wouldn't change much. If you need a reward to add so much more value, than the inherent value of playing the game(mode) wasn't high to begin with, which hints to problems with the gameplay.

People can make an argument that offering people an option to buy things instead of putting time in benefits the user and the game but since this game has no microtransactions I would be against that.
No one said anything about paying for stuff.

We will be quoting the Communist Manifesto next.
I can't even...

As an alternative viewpoint I'm a sandbox only player who couldn't stand the thought of not having everything in the game so spent my spare time since the announcement playing through the career and I actually had a good time. The maps are inspirational (especially the Russian one) and actually gave me some good ideas to take back to my sandbox. I'd suggest actually giving it a go as I'd never have even tried if not for this statue incentive and I do feel like I've been missing out on a fun game mode.

I started playing career and for the time being, I decided the mode is actually not worh my time. So are the statues, I feel. I work as a freelance texter, which comes with the fact that my customers tell me what I should work on next. I can not stand to have a game tell me what to do in my free time. And I actually like to play with money and CC and verything on sometimes in Sandbox, but that is a totally different approach than "do that and then do this, now!" I don't NEED that to enjoy or play a game and I don't WANT that. Two different things, indeed.

But I say it again: To everyone saying Sandbox players do not want to invest anything: Stop it! The argument that Sandbox players don't invest time, energy, passion and what not in this game is plain out wrong.

I started playing career and for the time being, I decided the mode is actually not worh my time. So are the statues, I feel. I work as a freelance texter, which comes with the fact that my customers tell me what I should work on next. I can not stand to have a game tell me what to do in my free time. And I actually like to play with money and CC and verything on sometimes in Sandbox, but that is a totally different approach than "do that and then do this, now!" I don't NEED that to enjoy or play a game and I don't WANT that. Two different things, indeed.

But I say it again: To everyone saying Sandbox players do not want to invest anything: Stop it! The argument that Sandbox players don't invest time, energy, passion and what not in this game is plain out wrong.

Lol, not sure that anyone could say something like that Linda. Besides work, artwork, leisure travels and sports this is the one hobby I have put the most time in I believe. I strictly play Planet Zoo sandbox, almost 3000 hours now, and do not think career/challenge mode players could have the patience to see a long term project through where improvements are made at the pace of a Galapagos turtle:) In all seriousness, what is most important is that everyone finds the way to enjoy this game however they want. The more players the game has, the bigger the benefit for all of us. So cheers to a successful 2021 for Planet Zoo.

I'm not sure that's entirely true - it depends on whether people aren't playing those modes because they've tried them and dislike them or because they haven't really tried them and have gravitated to modes they assume they assume will suit them best. It also depends if people are like myself and haven't completed the timed scenarios because I find them quite difficult so although I am interested in doing them I haven't found a reason to spend the time doing the planning / thinking I might need to do to get them right. This is extra motivation for me to put in that initial effort to get over the knowledge gaps I think are holding me back in that mode.

In other words a small increase in extrinsic value can push people to do things which do still have significant intrinsic value but not quite enough to motivate the intial outlay of effort required.

I can only speak for myself, but even though I have never tried any other mode than sandbox, I would not be interested in anything else. The reason why I felt in love with Planet Zoo was its devotion to creating a portal to endless imagination and choice of design, all this would be impossible to accomplish at its maximum potential in any other mode than sandbox. Why play a mode that limits the game's biggest offering? That is the way I see it, and why there is no interest from my part in anything else.

I worked for a very long time planning and designing zoo exhibits in real life and the amount of headaches one encounters in this field, when it comes to restrictions, budgetary limitations, cut backs, set backs, and the like were too many too often. It goes without saying that in Planet Zoo none of that applies, if you choose to opt for sandbox. The challenge of still keeping the design realistic and in scale with what you would encounter in a real life zoo, while having no budget restraints is for me the biggest challenge, as it has to be a fine middle ground, that much too often alludes most players. It is an incredibly amazing game and what sets it apart from anything else out there, is the ability for players to follow an idea and realize it with very little in the way as obstacles, other than your own creativity.

While I didn't comment anything like that - there's an alternative to that: Players that only play sandbox mode are asking for this unlock for sandbox mode. (right?)
You don't see players playing only franchise or challenge mode asking for the same for their preferred mode. They also don't play career mode.

I was surprised it wasn't in a base game
Same here. Always felt like something that would be part of the game. Wasn't expecting this to be added at this point :D

I can only speak for myself, but even though I have never tried any other mode than sandbox, I would not be interested in anything else. The reason why I felt in love with Planet Zoo was its devotion to creating a portal to endless imagination and choice of design, all this would be impossible to accomplish at its maximum potential in any other mode than sandbox. Why play a mode that limits the game's biggest offering? That is the way I see it, and why there is no interest from my part in anything else.

I worked for a very long time planning and designing zoo exhibits in real life and the amount of headaches one encounters in this field, when it comes to restrictions, budgetary limitations, cut backs, set backs, and the like were too many too often. It goes without saying that in Planet Zoo none of that applies, if you choose to opt for sandbox. The challenge of still keeping the design realistic and in scale with what you would encounter in a real life zoo, while having no budget restraints is for me the biggest challenge, as it has to be a fine middle ground, that much too often alludes most players. It is an incredibly amazing game and what sets it apart from anything else out there, is the ability for players to follow an idea and realize it with very little in the way as obstacles, other than your own creativity.
I think all of that is fine and obviously is true for you and a number of other players. I'm in no way criticising your choice not to engage with the other game modes. I rarely play sandbox because I find I'm more creative when I'm actively being challenged unexpectedly to adjust my plans - I need restrictions, hiccups, unexpected goals etc. to push me and I enjoy problem solving. We are all different and whilst we will all have a moan occasionally I suspect it is to Frontier's credit that the different communities often agree and that their game allows a lot of flexibility in play style. One day I hope there will be even more by including a scenario editor as they did in PC.

However, even in this thread other sandbox players have said that the statue reward has prompted them to play the scenarios, that they've enjoyed them and found them inspiring. So I think there needs to be some acceptance from the 'pure sandbox' community members in this thread that this type of reward can be a positive for some types of players. Where everyone comes down on whether that is reason enough for Frontier to take this approach is then a matter of personal preference and play style.

As I've said before this isn't a black and white issue and may be one where the community just has to accept that one way or another some group of people are going to dislike the outcome; previously some career mode players voiced their frustration that there weren't rewards, now some sandbox players are frustrated there will be.

My slightly biased suspicion based on comments so far is that most people (including myself) will fall somewhere in the middle in not being particularly bothered either way but where the reward might prompt them to play the different mode. They then might feel mildly positive about it (or alternatively they try playing career and hate it so much that they decide they dislike this change). What we should avoid is the groups at both ends of the spectrum decrying the ones who disagree with them as if there is a correct answer here. The rest is in Frontier's hands.

Personally, I'd probably would enjoy them way more in challenge- or franchise mode than in career mode. I could see myself play challenge, as it still lets me decide most of the things and doesn't follow a strict to-do list.

I can't speak to people's intrinsic enjoyment. That seems very personal.

But I do imagine that there are different skills, techniques, tips, ideas, etc. that one can gain by trying out the different modes. Things that one discovers while playing career that makes one better at sandbox, or things that one learns in the franchise community challenges that help make you faster at solving a timed scenario problem, for example. And I think there might be many players (can't speak for every one), for whom playing a different mode might give them new ideas for laying out their franchise zoos, or allow them to explore in-game techniques that end up improving the habitat design in their sandbox zoo in a new way that they might not have thought of before.

Most games have you balance multiple tasks, just like most sports have offense and defense. Frontier has very generously made it so that we can pause or turn on/off a great many of those features in different ways and in different modes and difficulty levels, so that we can kick/throw/hit/catch/run/tackle/ (or build/manage/create/breed/buy/sell) all day long if we want to, without having to think about the rest of the game. But it seems very odd to me to expect that every benefit of playing the full game in all modes absolutely must be achievable when playing only one portion of it alone, regardless of the undeniable amount of time, talent, passion, and creativity put into that one part.

Yes, there are places you can go that have putting greens, and batting cages, and throwing/kicking the ball around. And people gain hours of enjoyment from those, and can get quite good at them. But if Planet Golf had a putting only mode, or Planet Baseball had a batting only mode -- and further allowed you to "disable pitcher welfare" so that they threw strikes every time -- I'm not sure that I could honestly complain if playing that mode alone didn't unlock every other feature of the game/sport. Even if running the bases of the other mode doesn't have any intrinsic value or enjoyment to me personally.

As I've said before this isn't a black and white issue and may be one where the community just has to accept that one way or another some group of people are going to dislike the outcome; previously some career mode players voiced their frustration that there weren't rewards, now some sandbox players are frustrated there will be.
My issue, to clarify, (and this is the last I will say on this matter on which I have very strong feelings) is this:

If you want to play for rewards and enjoy that, then excellent. Do that. I hope you enjoy it. But if you play in another way, as I do, then you shouldn't be penalised. That is what is happening. Frontier are saying that my way of playing the game and for that matter, my money and ongoing support for the game and company aren't as deserving of content as others. And I cannot stress too much how I feel let down and marginalised by this.

You bough a bike from your favorite bike manufacturer. They are also organizing a race nearby for everyone that bough they bike, with prizes for the fastest.

You have the ability to drive fast on your bike, same chance to win as everyone else in the race, but you dont like that. You simply enjoy slow, relaxing rides over a city. Would you go complain to the bike manufacturer that you bought their bike, even though you only enjoy riding slowly, that you deserve the same prize as the ones who won the race? It sounds kind of silly tbh (a bit exaggerated of course, but its the same principle).

Last edited:
I don't think it's unreasonable for sandbox players to expect every item to be unlocked and available in sandbox mode. That's...kind of the point of sandbox mode, folks.

However, I can also see that this is a tricky situation for Frontier. As I see it, there were 3 possible options:

1) Statues are unlocked though career missions, and are also available for sandbox
Career-only players are rewarded. Sandbox-only players are unsurprised. Franchise-only players feel like they've been singled out as getting the short end of the stick.

2) Statues are unlocked through career missions only (what they went with)
Career-only players are rewarded. Sandbox-only players are surprised and a little put out (they are in the same boat as Franchise-only players, but the latter are used to having to unlock things to use them)

3) Statues are available to all
Everyone's in the same boat, though career-only players have another update/dlc where they specifically don't really get anything (considering the first dlc had 2 extra missions for them).

Ultimately, it's not a huge deal, speaking as a sandbox-only player whose been speeding through the career missions in anticipation of the update (timed scenarios next, eep). There's some neat stuff in there, even if it's not really what I'm playing the game for. As I see it, it's a way of giving career players some bonus content (as they're the only ones who would get these statues without altering their playstyle).

Last edited:
My issue, to clarify, (and this is the last I will say on this matter on which I have very strong feelings) is this:

If you want to play for rewards and enjoy that, then excellent. Do that. I hope you enjoy it. But if you play in another way, as I do, then you shouldn't be penalised. That is what is happening. Frontier are saying that my way of playing the game and for that matter, my money and ongoing support for the game and company aren't as deserving of content as others. And I cannot stress too much how I feel let down and marginalised by this.
Following the same line of argument, one could say that players of the Franchise mode are being penalized for not having endless amounts of money, CC, etc. Usually, almost everybody complaining about Franchise mode’s restrictions or shortcomings gets the advice to play Sandbox instead, even though Franchise has aspects that attract a lot of players. So although I understand your and others’ arguments to some extent, I do not understand why all of a sudden the usually well-meant advice ”then maybe you should play Sandbox” cannot be applied in the current situation as well. If you want something specific that is available only in one specific mode, then why don’t you play that mode, at least long enough to get the statues you want? And playing through the scenarios does not take that much time in the grand scheme of things.

The statues were already part of Career mode from the very beginning as they show up in bronze, silver and gold on the globe based on your achievements. So Career players have always been rewarded with these statues. Bringing these statues into the game is just a logical step forward. On the other hand, there is no connection to these statues from the other game modes.

But you are also getting those statues. What am I missing ? You're mainly sandbox player I get that, it doesn't mean you're forbidden to put couple hours aside to grind those statues up. After that you go back to sandbox exclusive gameplay.

That is what is happening. Frontier are saying that my way of playing the game and for that matter, my money and ongoing support for the game and company aren't as deserving of content as others. And I cannot stress too much how I feel let down and marginalised by this
To some extend this happens with almost every game.

• Leveling up, gaining specific traits based on chosen race, choosing a type (brawler/agile). Sometimes picking a race/career, will make certain options unavailable.
  • Completing certain sidequests, the entire game or tutorial to get special items. Pretty sure most people like an alternative to timed escort missions.
  • People who are better at a game, usually have more options than people who aren't good at the game. (completing the game at medium or hard difficulty).

- Going with an example - GTA online, it's full of unlockables. A lot of people want paint their car in chrome colour. Option are: lvl up to lvl100 (few hundred hours) or win x amount of races. If this game were full of those, I'd agree but on 1 aspect, no.

I think the reason why people don't see this as an issue, is that's pretty normal to see unlockables in your game.

I think the bold part is really stretching it. (or a very bold move :D)

I don't think it's unreasonable for sandbox players to expect every item to be unlocked and available in sandbox mode. That's...kind of the point of sandbox mode, folks
Well, sandbox is different per game. For some games it's tweaking every aspect of your game and some are just unlimited $/unlocked research/pick a map.
There isn't a standard format. Unlocking stuff for another mode, like completing the tutorial is very common.

If you want something specific that is available only in one specific mode, then why don’t you play that mode, at least long enough to get the statues you want?
I think it would be nice to include access to those stone statues to every player in the game without unlocking scenarios.
But Bronze/Silver/Golden for those reach that level on that scenario.
If I understood it correctly, with the next update the stone statue becomes available when you are able to access the scenario (so when you are able to see it on your globe)
I really think there's a middle ground option for this.

Top Bottom