Planetary circumnavigation event

Mark your calendars and get your SRVs ready. A date has been set for the first ever group circumnavigation of a planet in SRVs. "The First Great Planetary Expedition" will begin March 27th, 3305 at Kumay in Chi Herculis.

Sign ups are open. For more details follow the link: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/479505-The-First-Great-Planetary-Expedition
There are plenty of useful resources at that link.

Link to the official roster: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CntlfHBZN6qiFYfJatQg5i1bvAItnOTaEJ4CBFbQsic/edit#gid=0

The First Great Planetary Expedition is now a featured event: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/481248-Featured-Event-The-First-Great-Planetary-Expedition

If you play on Xbox and plan on participating please leave a comment below with your Gtag. o7

Last edited:

BongoBaggins

Volunteer Moderator
This is something I'd definitely love to do, but I'm headed in the wrong direction and won't be back for months, I'm afraid

A spot has been chosen for the group planetary circumnavigation event. Kumay in Chi Herculis is the spot. Scouting destinations for the waypoints is now under way. The route and date of the event are yet to be determined.

Last edited:
Any idea how long it will take? I disappear on holiday for a month from mid-April so not a huge point in starting if I'm not going to finish :)

The planet has a circumference of 3801km. The top speed of a Scarab is 38ms (137Kph) so, as an absolute minimum it will take around 28 hours of total game time. As they will be taking in some sights along the way and, obviously, not travelling at anything like full speed, I imagine it will take something like 5 days to a week of game time.

For what it's worth it's quite possible to travel at over 100m/s using the "flyving" technique, but yeah - no idea what the average speed of the group will be. When I circumnavigated Pleione 3A (which is about a third of the size) it took me about a week (doing about 1.5hrs a day) so I reckon we're looking at it taking at least a month.

Last edited:

Sir.Tj

Volunteer Moderator
For what it's worth it's quite possible to travel at over 100m/s using the "flyving" technique, but yeah - no idea what the average speed of the group will be. When I circumnavigated Pleione 3A (which is about a third of the size) it took me about a week (doing about 1.5hrs a day) so I reckon we're looking at it taking at least a month.

So take a packed lunch perhaps?

Any idea how long it will take? I disappear on holiday for a month from mid-April so not a huge point in starting if I'm not going to finish :)
You could still take part and drive at your own pace. So far I'm the only Xbox Cmdr "officially" signed up. That being the case there are currently no plans for group events/meet-ups... 'cause those things require a group. ;)

This does sound like an awesome expedition. I’m in deep space right now but my alternate account is in bubble. Hmmmm....

Sounds cool, I've never tried anything like it (in terms of events with other players or circumnavigating a planet) and I'd like to be there. I'm just not sure if I'm going to be able to make it back to the bubble as I'm out by the Heart and Soul nebulae and was planning on hitting up the Bubble Nebula on the way home to Galileo. Also the 27th is a work day for me but I'm off the 28th-30th so I could probably catch up with the gang.

Sounds cool, I've never tried anything like it (in terms of events with other players or circumnavigating a planet) and I'd like to be there. I'm just not sure if I'm going to be able to make it back to the bubble as I'm out by the Heart and Soul nebulae and was planning on hitting up the Bubble Nebula on the way home to Galileo. Also the 27th is a work day for me but I'm off the 28th-30th so I could probably catch up with the gang.
We have a few late starters so you wouldn't be alone.

Top Bottom