Planetary Circumnavigation - Wilson Edition

Never actually been out to planet Wilson (although I might come and join you for tiny bits of this journey ... if you're not too terrified of the SRV multi-player instance damage multiplier thing). I have to say, for a circumnavigation, it looks kinda brutal. Hope you've packed plenty of crackers 'cos this might take some time?

Day 2

Everybody is welcome here, I got a 20% bonus SRV protection from sacrifcing a Ship to Wilson (I'm sure thats how it works!). And yes it might take a while, in parts because of the distance to travel but also because I'm not a racer. I'm more the Slow and Steady type :D

Today I had a lot of time play so I could make good progress. Starting it was still night but the galactic Core being gone and some nebula acting as waymarkers
North America Nebula and Pelican Nebual left below the galaxy (Andromeda I blelive) and on the right Sadr Region being allignt with heading 270 I have to go
002a2esotk.jpg

Elswhere Barnards Loop and others hang around
002a48urvz.jpg

But I have to admit that the combination of night in Game and the morning sunshine coming into the house in a annoying way (as usual) made it times hard to see whats in front of me. But it wasn't too much of problem as it was a smooth ride to Waypoint 2
Shooting some Rocks
002a6d9r5p.jpg

Finding some wreckege
002a222wp29.jpg

Being annoyd by some Rocks (they are EVERYWHERE)
002a28fxpj5.jpg

And while it was a smooth ride there can still be a suprising amount of ups and downs on a ridge
002a31tvo4n.jpg

And there it was of course time for a fun little base jump
[video=youtube_share;qbUrgxBOUvA]https://youtu.be/qbUrgxBOUvA[/video]

After that I stopped for a couple hours and when coming back was delighted to see that the sunrise is right ahead of me
002b22gsgd.jpg

And I didn't have to drive long to make it into the sunlight
002b5fys9v.jpg

Making my way towards the next waypoint, but I'm starting to become doubts if destroying my Ship really was a good Idea...
Oh god no, a whole bunch of stranded People. I can feel with them but without a ship I can't rescue them... ah well...
002b7kesa8.jpg

002b8igs4q.jpg

I hope they will be alight, lets just keep driving. Its really nice here!
002b11jxs4i.jpg

Oh... oh... more stranded people, I am soooo sorry
002b18q2sxc.jpg

They will be allright, I'm sure, lets just keep driving
002b236zs76.jpg

Uh... destroyed SRV. And there is one escape pod too...
002b247ms6l.jpg

I'm really sorry, wish you the best!

Had another break and when I came back it was proper day on Wilson, the mist covering up the place making for a lovley atmosphere on my drive forward
The Ridge looks very nice at this time of day
002c9s2pv4.jpg

Further ahead I could see where the ridge was starting to end, some last bumps before it flattens out on the Ground
002c107so4v.jpg

And there was a lot of driving...
002c59bqa5.jpg

... Jumping...
002c1463ps3.jpg

... and a bit of climbing
002c16szpuw.jpg

And that was my progress for Day 2, currently at -16.44/119.45
002c20nyrph.jpg

Looks like I'm about halfway between Point 2 and 3, should make it to the canyon at point 3 tomorrow if all goes well.

Day 3

Starting off today it was day but the Star was hanging low getting ready to set down. Aside from the very first bit where I had to cross the Canyon the way on this Journey so far had been very favourable for a SRV.
First thing I saw starting today
003a1bxu23.jpg

You really need the shadows to tell which one of those dots in the sky the star of this system is :D
003a9v0uzn.jpg

As a side note I do come across quite a lot metallic meteroite, managed to already fully stock up on Cadmium and Ruthenium. Might be useful one day
003a49yus9.jpg

But everything has to change one day, the Terrain is starting to get rougher
003a13tfuhq.jpg

003a194vu65.jpg

Then I had a break of a few hours, coming back it was night time
The Galactic Core does look pretty big
003b2thu1c.jpg

Smoke Signals!
003b8w3ubh.jpg

You don't need that anymore so I will take it. I'm sure I find a use for it...
003b1027urw.jpg

Its getting more and more rough but there is some nice geographie around here!
003b13njux0.jpg

I'm starting to get pretty sure I'm already in the Canyon even when it was still a long way to go to the marked Coordiantes I picked. I guess picking a spot in the Ship from Glide it looked like the beginning from there, but in the SRV you get a much more sophisticated feel for distance :D
I tried to keep the speed going while hopping from higher ground to higher ground, which is why I for many parts took screenshots on board while flying about
003b150muhq.jpg

Its a lot of fun making way through here, even when its not always quite working out. But it is a bit annoyng when you miss the ground you aimed for by just a little bit :D
003b19deuy1.jpg

It looks great from high up
003b200su9j.jpg

003b264huxy.jpg

But also when you happen to be down on the Ground
003b23v6uf8.jpg

Eventually I made my way to the little Plateau I picked as waypoint and did go to rest for the day
The way Ahead
003b29blu49.jpg

Planet position
003b31i4usc.jpg

Current position is -16.49/93.85, Distance travelled is 0.29Mm

Day 4

Yeserday I was able to drive in daylight again, but the Canyon is now starting to get really sersious
Ah, its a beautiful Day!
0041wjpsc.jpg

Hopping around between Plateaus, they starting to get really high and feeling more like mountains at times
0044ogqh9.jpg

And more then once they prove a bit to high to Jump over and I end up in not so good places to end up in
0046m3qko.jpg

But jumping from high point to high point is so much fun, makes the game feel like a plattformer at times :D
0049e5r1r.jpg

More and more this place feels like Labyrinth, I have to stick to low ground at times trying to navigate my way thorugh
Squeezing through
00412hsryb.jpg

As troublesome as it can be I love driving around in places in like this
0041395px0.jpg

In front of me this looks like a road, while its going in the wrong direction I hit a bit of a deadend here and since this way seems to lead upwards I decide to follow to get to higher ground
00416htplc.jpg

And I think I ended up pretty much outside of the canyon on the Side, at leasts its high ground!
00419waq5h.jpg

I made run down back into the canyon, I may have to go back to the side hitting more dead ends but I would hate having to avoid the canyon. While not a fast way to make progress I love driving in those places. But for now I stopped at -16.20/88.63
004222rpd2.jpg

Distance driven is 0.09Mm

Looks brutal but magnificent! Currently thinking I'll try to hook up with you this weekend some time. What sort of time are you usually in game?

During the weekend you should be able to catch me around morning and evening hours european time, most likley. As FD likes to say "No Guarantees" :D

By definition, all worlds we land on are atmosphere-less, but I kept having to remind myself I wasn't seeing you peering through fog as you drove.

Day 5

I have seen pics of this place before and its one I definitly have to visit some day, rocky Ice planets are the best!

Now to day 5, starting off yesterday it was dark. And I mean dark
Hmmm... I guess theres something, somwhere?
0053fdu74.jpg

It does look great, love it when its proper dark
0051c8uo5.jpg

As visibilty was so bad it was time for pro-strats: Full speed ahead and hope the best!
I'm... somwhere!
0056n1ur2.jpg

Ending up sticking sideways to some 90° wall
00584huwc.jpg

I really don't know what I'm doing
0059xeuzx.jpg

Oh, ending up in a place with less high stuff around me so I get some more light here and there
00512gkum0.jpg

Eventually I stumble onto a way that seems to lead out of the canyon, given how problemativ progress is down here especially when its dark I swallow the pill and try to make my way out
Better to see onboard from the Radar, there is flat upwards road leading almost all the way out
00519szuid.jpg

It does lead very high up but I still have to do some jumping
00520eyuwv.jpg

And eventually I'm out
00521vju41.jpg

Once out of the canyon and on easy to drive terrain I can get some really good progress going, I do start to get better at that whole racing thing
One funny mistakes that can happen is when I try to aim for a landing where I want to immediatly use something as a ramp but It doesn't quite work out and launches me straight up 90%. All my momentum gets turned up but I kinda like it :D
0052308u1v.jpg

Finding some stuff
00526uyutn.jpg

005277au4m.jpg

But while I can make really good progress now I do kinda miss the canyon, so to end the day I make camp close to it
005318wux5.jpg

And that was it, I did just aimless stumble around at first but once out of the canyon I made some good progress. Current location is -17.08/78.02, distance driven is 0.16Mm
00534zcu7y.jpg

There will eventually be some canyon reunion, as can be seen on the map. There is canyon curving up and getting in the way.

Top Bottom