Planetary Circumnavigation - Wilson Edition

Day 24

I'm genuinely really curious about this actually (must try to grab someone from Frontier at Lavecon and ask about it). I'm not convinced there is a time limit on track marks, I always assumed they were permanent for the instance (you must have had the thing where you drive back to somewhere you were at some time ago and re-discover your own track marks?).

I started a thread about this sort of thing ages ago which didn't gain any traction ..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/389660-When-is-an-instance-not-an-instance

So, as another example for that thread ... say I land and draw some tracks. If you then log in and message me your co-ordinates and I fly to your location (without jumping in or out of supercruise and without ever experiencing any kind of instance joining delay like you might get when dropping out at a popular station) ... if you followed me back to where I drew the tracks would you see them? If I then logged off would they disappear or would your continue to keep my instance (and my tracks) in existence? If we each drew track marks before meeting and then we met up and I came to see yours and you came to see my mine, would they both be there? Have the instances somehow merged?

Like I say, geuinely curious about how all this works.
Well, I am pretty sure they disappear at some point because when I made my SOS I made it too big at first, the first S started to vanish while I made the last S. Alltough that was about 2 years ago, could be some things have changed - maybe we need to do some science :D

And as for today, it is the last day!
And its a nice sunny day
0241ouuvz.jpg

Up here I can't really track the old route very much, not enough coords from back then or directions as to where exactly we did drive. but its a nice place anyhwere
0242gfuxl.jpg

I reach the place where I did write the SOS. Not really a good tourist spot, since its just a flat area without the SOS being persistent :D
0246ybu4u.jpg

I try to do some heroic pose with one wheel on a rock looking in the distance while I'm there
02410o3ujf.jpg

A last PoI
02412uvuq3.jpg

Getting close now, there is the end of the ridge
02417h0uyu.jpg

And arriving there a ship greets me :)
02418cnu19.jpg

And thus I made it all around the planet now, hello back old friend canyon!
02419niun6.jpg

Now the offical business, shot with coords from about the same place as I started and stats
024209mudh.jpg

02421d2u8c.jpg

That should result in this trip taking 58h and 6min driving roughly 4200km

But now of course I'm done and sitting here without a ship....
...time to get ready...
0242702u1i.jpg

... and say goodbye to Wilson :D
[video=youtube_share;zV8MOL9D6Lw]https://youtu.be/zV8MOL9D6Lw[/video]

Nicely done. :)

Looking at stats and videos yeah i was little slower than you :p (km per gametime)

Last edited:
Nice jump Cmdr Bomba Luigi!

For another viewpoint here is the recording of the jump from my Cobra III:

[video=youtube_share;z-TeDO86Lts]https://youtu.be/z-TeDO86Lts[/video]

Afterwards I played with the SRV wreckage.

And note the co-ordinates -16.57, 155.79 for a future statue of where the SRV lay......

3KcrhuD.jpg

Last edited:
Great run! I still haven't gotten over how scenic Wilson is, with insane terrain and a nice layer of fog to give it even more depth and presence.

Bravo sir, a magnificent journey and what a way to end it too ... very Thelma and Louise!

I think it's cool that Nick was on hand to capture the final resting place of the SRV, really quite a poignant image.

I wonder how we can go about getting FD to add a POI? I know there's one for where Tannik began his Buckyball adventure so it's possible, just don't know how to go about requesting it.

I'll update the circumnavigation club page tomorrow.

o7

Bravo sir, a magnificent journey and what a way to end it too ... very Thelma and Louise!

I think it's cool that Nick was on hand to capture the final resting place of the SRV, really quite a poignant image.

I wonder how we can go about getting FD to add a POI? I know there's one for where Tannik began his Buckyball adventure so it's possible, just don't know how to go about requesting it.

I'll update the circumnavigation club page tomorrow.

o7

I wanted to be there at the end when he exploded.

I had ED running in a window for 5 hours on my second PC to catch when he came online!

I'm still parked up there near the wreck if anyone wants to pay their respects before I log off later on tonight :D

I'm honestly shocked there isn't a tourist beacon at Planet Wilson already. The original stranding story, and gradually getting unstuck from the trench, was downright gripping.

Nice jump Cmdr Bomba Luigi!

For another viewpoint here is the recording of the jump from my Cobra III:

Afterwards I played with the SRV wreckage.

And note the co-ordinates -16.57, 155.79 for a future statue of where the SRV lay......

I love how the wreck of my SRV spins around in the Air after the explosion, its like its doing a victory dance :D
and I hope I didn't cause trouble waiting for me for hours ^^

And thanks everyone, very enjoyed doing this, feels a bit like it was over too fast! Well, its Wilson, I love this planet and spending time here so I guess that helps. Need to look out for a reason to spend a lot time here again some time in the Future. Rocky Ice planets get there improvments in the Q4 update, so that could be a reason...

Top Bottom