Planetary Geology,

Since honestly, MOON landing on SRV is modestly fun BUT walking on planet without life sound... Appalling boring on solo or not near in starport. I hope there are some interesting Ruin, Cave, Liquids, Crash site!

Expansion on in game analysis tools!

Since honestly, MOON landing on SRV is modestly fun BUT walking on planet without life sound... Appalling boring on solo or not near in starport. I hope there are some interesting Ruin, Cave, Liquids, Crash site!

All the bodies we can land on at the moment are airless, so no sound is possible, of course that will change when we can land on atmospheric bodies. Unplss Odyssey reworks the planet generation system caves are only possible as a crafted object, I am hoping they will change it so we can have proceduraly generated caves and overhangs, and water, it's possible ice I suppose, but tenuous atmosphere doesn't give me much hope for liquid water, now lava I should hope certainly, landing on a lava planet should be fun. There are already plenty of proceduraly generated crash sites, anyone who has spent more than a few minutes driving around a planet surface will have seen them, ruins of course are sadly lacking, here's hoping they will introduce something like that.

Wish they'd expand on what's already in the game first, before thinking about this for legs... because if what's in the game predicates what space legs will bring, expect to be disappointed.

All the bodies we can land on at the moment are airless, so no sound is possible, of course that will change when we can land on atmospheric bodies. Unplss Odyssey reworks the planet generation system caves are only possible as a crafted object, I am hoping they will change it so we can have proceduraly generated caves and overhangs, and water, it's possible ice I suppose, but tenuous atmosphere doesn't give me much hope for liquid water, now lava I should hope certainly, landing on a lava planet should be fun. There are already plenty of proceduraly generated crash sites, anyone who has spent more than a few minutes driving around a planet surface will have seen them, ruins of course are sadly lacking, here's hoping they will introduce something like that.
Abandoned settlements are basically ruins, just more modern.

I think the question is what kind of new, engaging, and sustainable game content can Fdev figure out how to add to the game that is proceduraly generated? I really don't see much in the way of new actual crafted thinks like we got with Thargoid, and ancient ruins being added. If Odyssey only brings "run&gun" game play, and nothing new to discover and interact with, many a commander will be very put out. I personally get the felling that Fdev is giving the ED community Odyssey just as a final way to let themselves feel as though they have fulfilled their obligations for the game. And at that point ED really will go into maintenance mode.

I see no harm is stating what kind of content I think Odyssey should have, and pointing out the disappointment that I believe will happen if it does not have it. Many a commander put their trust and money to Fdev with the understanding that ED would eventually have certain game play content. And in many respects they have been let down. When this happens, over and over, it leads people to speculate on what might be done wrong this time around. This speculation is only increased by the lack of communication from Fdev. So, perhaps in general complaining before the fact is a little unjustified. There are times when complaining before the fact is brought on by the creators of the "facts" themselves.

Not seeing the harm doesnt make it non-existent. if you don't believe me try closing your eyes and jumping off of a building. If everyone convinces themselves they will be disappointed what do expect the outcome to be?

Not seeing the harm doesnt make it non-existent. if you don't believe me try closing your eyes and jumping off of a building. If everyone convinces themselves they will be disappointed what do expect the outcome to be?
My point is that the disappointment has already been instilled long before we close our eyes or even get to the roof top. I think the currant tritium situation is a perfectly good example. If others read these opinions and allow them to sway their own before the release, my take is that that is on them. Hearing others opinions and realizing that is exactly what they are, is just part of learning to form your own. It's the difference between an OP-ED, and an actual news article. I actually am looking forward to Odyssey very much. I also have much apprehension about it. Stating my apprehension, concerns, and complaints is one of the reasons these forums exist IMHO.

Lava, gas and water require fluid dynamics. If they haven't cracked one I doubt the others will appear - unless they go the faux route of NMS oceans. Caves and overhangs are more likely.

Lava, gas and water require fluid dynamics. If they haven't cracked one I doubt the others will appear - unless they go the faux route of NMS oceans. Caves and overhangs are more likely.

They do fluid dynamics in other games, I am sure they can do that, but caves and overhangs simply won't work with the current planetary tech, they are using bitmaps to determine surface height so overhangs and caves are impossible except for individual hand crafted sites, so the planetary tech needs to be updated before that will work.

They do fluid dynamics in other games, I am sure they can do that, but caves and overhangs simply won't work with the current planetary tech, they are using bitmaps to determine surface height so overhangs and caves are impossible except for individual hand crafted sites, so the planetary tech needs to be updated before that will work.
Well, I haven't got a link as it was something that was mentioned once then never spoken of again so take this a bit on faith. Fdev were creating a new scatter rock tech which would supposedly work on sizes and how rocks were used on planets, so if the tech was sufficently advanced it could be used as geology (certainly those ice planet images showed more than a height map) and if hollowed out could be used as caves (Disclaimer: Not a programmer so may be impossible).
Also, in a local stream they did say they were working on planetary tech - can't be <redacted> to find it but someone may have a link.

F.D. is a sadists cult. If pulling legs off of spiders, is not on your C.V. You don't get in. Boring as in Beige, probably. But as to staying alive, just surviving, I would say, that would be the non-boring bit. It would be interesting to know, what the percentage of deaths, in SRVs is. Now put fragile humans, outside those protective roll-cages.

Last edited:
F.D. is a sadists cult. If pulling legs off of spiders, is not on your C.V. You don't get in. Boring and in Beige, probably. But as to staying alive, just surviving, I would say, that would be the non-boring bit. It would be interesting to know, what the percentage of deaths, in SRVs is. Now put fragile humans, outside those protective roll-cages.

Well that is a jolly post lol! ;)

Well, I haven't got a link as it was something that was mentioned once then never spoken of again so take this a bit on faith. Fdev were creating a new scatter rock tech which would supposedly work on sizes and how rocks were used on planets, so if the tech was sufficently advanced it could be used as geology (certainly those ice planet images showed more than a height map) and if hollowed out could be used as caves (Disclaimer: Not a programmer so may be impossible).
Also, in a local stream they did say they were working on planetary tech - can't be <redacted> to find it but someone may have a link.

Yes I remember that clearly, the images did show effects that wouldn't be possible with height maps, but I suspect that has been delayed to coincide with Odyssey so it can be applied to more than just ice planets. Ice planets are nice, but not utilised a lot, I mean when was the last time you landed on an ice planet? I did quite a few landing while on my last trip of 100kly to examine local bio and not single one was an ice planet. They need to do more than just look pretty or you are essentially wasting your time, and I think that was the issue, spending a lot of time making stuff look pretty that no-one will ever see, really just a waste of time.

Top Bottom