Planetary Tech with Dr Kay Ross: Recap

The good news is that he almost confirmed that horizons players might get the tech upgrade too, but he wasn't totally sure about that (however i'm quite positive about it, some planetary tech upgrade was originally planned for beyond afterall).
Still, non being able to play with Horizons players on Horizons content is quite annoying.
Apart from a budget standpoint, I don't get why any player who owns and loved Horizon won't eventually buy Odyssey sooner rather than later. Even if not interested in spacelegs parts, how not to want to land on more planets?

And even if it wasn't for the PEGI thing (I think it's quite a easy excuse), any software company wants its customer base to switch to the newest installment, not only from a greed standpoint. They sure need to maintain the previous ones but obviously when you release a new product you expect (and must push some direct or indirect incentives to) your customer base so as much as possible will buy it.

The good news is that he almost confirmed that horizons players might get the tech upgrade too, but he wasn't totally sure about that (however i'm quite positive about it, some planetary tech upgrade was originally planned for beyond afterall).
Still, non being able to play with Horizons players on Horizons content is quite annoying.

We got positive confirmation in the Answers thread that planetary tech is tied to odyssey, going as far as to day that console players wont get the tech unless and until they putchase odyssey in the winter.

So horizons players are out of luck.

We got positive confirmation in the Answers thread that planetary tech is tied to odyssey, going as far as to day that console players wont get the tech unless and until they putchase odyssey in the winter.

I won't say so: we learnt Odyssey planetary tech isn't an evolution of Horizon's but a new one that'll ultimately replace the old tech when released so even Horizon players will enjoy it too. Though, as Odyssey console version will release later Horizon console players will enjoy Odyssey planetary tech only when Odyssy launch on their platform - even if not buying Odyssey.

I won't say so: we learnt Odyssey planetary tech isn't an evolution of Horizon's but a new one that'll ultimately replace the old tech when released so even Horizon players will enjoy it too. Though, as Odyssey console version will release later Horizon console players will enjoy Odyssey planetary tech only when Odyssy launch on their platform - even if not buying Odyssey.

We have a specific qualifier from frontier "console players who purchase the expansion"

Q: Will console users see the changes at the same time as PC users?
No, console players who purchase the expansion will experience the planetary tech changes upon the release of Odyssey on their platform.

Last edited:

I thought scatter system and station placement changes. I wonder if farming sites for crystalline shards etc will be horizons/odyssey specific.

We dont know, but if pc player1 and pc player2 want to instance together, and player1 has EDO and player2 doesn't, for it to work they would all need to see the new planet tech. Of course they would need to land on a horizons not EDO planet. And only 1 could walk on the surface, the other just drive.

BUT ... as the new settlements are EDO, not Horizons, it is possible this won't happen.

Who knows!!

It's been stated directly that some of the new settlements will be on Horizons planets.

"at the same time as PC users" is important.
While I think it makes total sense that console users won't see visual changes until Odyssey is released, I think the other user might be getting at the fact that the visual changes require purchase of Odyssey, at least that's one interpretation, and one I'm personally getting too.

Which means, if that is true, that it would be problematic to have an Xbox one user, on the surface of a horizons world, with a friend, if one has Odyssey, and one does not. If the actual way the terrain is generated is different, in some areas, horizons users might see Odyssey users "floating" as the terrain in that area is slightly higher in Odyssey.
If an Odyssey user were to disembark their ship on a horizons planet, their ship would show up as unmanned I'm guessing but would base game users see Odyssey players walking on foot if they themselves don't have Odyssey?

It makes sense that base game+horizons users wouldn't be able to use most or all of the features of odyssey, but would there be an interrupt to anything pre-existing, due to how horizons planets will use Odyssey tech too. For instance, I believe Dr Ross said things like volcanism and the locations of geological formations potentially by extension, such as fumaroles, would be updated to be more accurate.

So with that in mind, if, things like fumaroles, are updated, in terms of terrain, location, distribution etc, would horizons players see these in the same updated places as Odyssey users but without the improved graphics? Would they see them in their current locations only?
One of my reasons for asking is we do group activities in our squadron, and tryna plan ahead (given the little info we have), if that means we'll need to set up 2 groups of players, if base game owners can't join us on horizon worlds or Odyssey users can't join base game users in horizons worlds

Not entirely related, but if we leave our ship on foot in a station, and later want to board, any likelihood of a delay? Like a reverse of docking request denied, where you can't land as insufficient landing pads, could this go the other way in terms of leaving a station, as you can't get a landing pad to have your ship summoned to so you can board

And again Irealise a lot of this won't have answers yet, justthinking aloud

While I think it makes total sense that console users won't see visual changes until Odyssey is released, I think the other user might be getting at the fact that the visual changes require purchase of Odyssey, at least that's one interpretation, and one I'm personally getting too.

While this statement does read like that I do agree, it's different to all the other statements they have made regarding the new planetary tech. According to many previous statement I have seen by the Devs Horizons players will see the new planetary tech on Horizons planets once Odyssey is released even if they don't own Odyssey. This is a necessity since some of the new Odyssey stations will be on Horizons planets and the new planetary tech is required for the placement of these stations.

This is I think an exceptionally badly worded statement that is leading to unnecessary confusion since it's different to many previous statement.

So with that in mind, if, things like fumaroles, are updated, in terms of terrain, location, distribution etc, would horizons players see these in the same updated places as Odyssey users but without the improved graphics? Would they see them in their current locations only?

According to the tech talk the new planetary tech will change the surface features and locations of all POI's, if Horizon's players used the old planetary tech they wouldn't be able to instance with Odyssey players or even see them because surfaces would be at different heights, mountains and valleys would be in different places, and it has been confirmed that Odyssey and Horizons players will be able to instance together on Horizons bodies.

Last edited:
@Scoob101 , @RisingPhoenics : after rereading several Q&As, I get your point. Though I do hope you're wrong.

One question: do non-Horizon players see Horizon planets or simple textured spheres?

Maintaining simultaneously "simple" PG textures porjected on simple spheres and PG planets is far more easy I assume than maintaining 2 completely different PGs, each giving significantly different outputs and needing completely different systems for assets instantiation. Quite dangerous if on certain cases Horizon and Odyssey players can meet each others at the same location.

Unless the PEGI thing is the perfect excuse to get rid of these cases.

Caves?
has anyone talked about caves? isn't weird that we don't have any caves on any planet? (we don't right?)
Yes, many times. There will be no procedurally generated caves, as the system can't do them (or even overhangs). Hand placed caves may be a possibility.

I mean currently we have issues occasionally in wings as it is. The other day at an INRA or similar site, we landed a few hundred metres apart and some players were invisible when in SRV, their wing signals said they were 107km beneath us (in the mantle). Yet they could still affect our ships (asked them to fire at the landed ships a few times). And they could see us fine, and they said their SRVs bumped into ours. We could see their wing icon targetting things and see canisters they dropped suddenly appear from nowhere, so am curious if that's gonna be a similar situation for horizons vs Odyssey

Caves?
has anyone talked about caves? isn't weird that we don't have any caves on any planet? (we don't right?)
They've said outright that there will be no overhangs, so no caves and maybe no arches etc by extension, shame, as we have pseudo caves in Thargoid surface sites

But will they appear also for players on Horizons client, without Odyssey?
Good question. If you're walking on street of a horizons planet Odyssey settlement, would a horizons SRV runyou over, or just phase through you, or just not be visible? Would horizons players see it as empty rock, Dav's Hopeesque, or like Odyssey players see it. Would they see NPCs walking or just abandoned settlement?

Top Bottom