Ships Planning on playing online, paranoid everyone will come to get me!!!

I plan on playing online soon, understand im going to need to alter my work ship loadout to survive player attacks, but from someone who has no combat experience i don't know to what degree.

This is my ship thats works well for me in solo https://coriolis.io/outfit/python?c...TCMjGc8BAAA=.EweloBhBmUA5QFMCGBzANokICMF8hRFA

To toughen out the hull i was thinking maybe military grade, lightweight and deep plating
Not sure on what sheilds to get that would work with my powerplant
I have 1 large hardpoint, would it be worth putting something here?

This is what should i aim for.

Always keep a star selected so you can high wake fast. Always be aware what the hollow squares are doin and even more aware at the hollow triangles
If you get attacked, 4 pips in Sys and 2 in Eng when you are shot at, 2 Sys 4 Eng when you are not.
Charge the FSD while trying to stay out of line-of-sight as much as possible as in maneuver wildly and dont try to run away boosting in a straight line.
When FSD is charged line up and wake away..

And replace the 5a PD with at least a 7D or a 6A

Last edited:
The 5A power plant you have doesn't give you that much power to work with, so you'll either want to change the mod on it to overcharged (use the lowest grade you can get away with) or upgrade it to a 6A. If you upgrade to a 6A, I would recommend using armoured + thermal spread.

For the hull, there are a few options you can go for depending on how much money, materials, and jump range you are willing to sacrifice:
Additionally, if you are willing to sacrifice the SRV, you can put your choice of a MRP or HRP in the size 2 slot. If you go with the HRP you could either go with heavy duty + deep plating for an extra 360 hitpoints and better resists, or you could go with thermal resist + deep plating and combine it with reactive bulkheads with lightweight + deep plating or heavy duty + deep plating for even more hull integrity.

For shields, bi-weaves work best when you are expecting to face lots of enemies in quick succession, but aren't as good if you're only expecting to get attacked once every few minutes. I'd recommend using prismatics if you have them, otherwise use an A-rated shield. You probably don't need the second point defence, so you can swap out one of them for a second shield booster. I think Northpin had a pretty good shield setup (reinforced + hi-cap generator, 1 heavy duty + super cap booster, 1 thermal + super cap booster) that you could use for a prismatic or regular A-rated shield. Northpin also used a 2D Guardian shield booster in place of the SRV, but you may have already decided to put a HRP/MRP there or just decided to keep the SRV.

I can't think of any weapons that would be useful to put in the remaining large hardpoint that would allow you to take on NPC pirates that come after your stuff, let alone another player who is trying to kill you with no regards for your cargo. As other people have said, if you get interdicted by another player, your best bet is to run and not try to faff about with mines or anything. You aren't going to have enough firepower to take NPC pirates down by yourself, so no matter what you do you're going to need to rely on system security showing up to help. To this end, you only need to do a small amount of damage to the pirate to summon system security, meaning your mining lasers are actually somewhat useful in this type of engagement if you can get close enough to use them (there was one time I got interdicted by a NPC pirate Anaconda and managed to collect the bounty on it in my T9 with nothing but a pair of small mining lasers and a small fleet of system security). That said, mining lasers aren't particularly good for tagging ships and summoning system security, so you can put whatever weapon you feel comfortable using in this slot.

Honestly don't fret about it.

Unless you are in a well known system (engineers, sol, leave etc) you probably won't run into many other CMDRs and only a small % of those would be interested in shooting you anyways.

Come and have fun and say o7 in local.

o7

Honestly don't fret about it.

Unless you are in a well known system (engineers, sol, leave etc) you probably won't run into many other CMDRs and only a small % of those would be interested in shooting you anyways.

Come and have fun and say o7 in local.

o7

Agreed. Apart from half a dozen systems where the crazy people gather, it's almost totally normal players saying 'Hi', having a chat or playing together. Not really the gang-warfare-death-match-arena those people portray it as and would like it to be.

You should be fine. However, if you see a FDL then prepare to meet a ganker, especially if you make it to Shin. :) I had a recent break then logged in a few days ago. FDL interdicted me 7 times on the way to SD. Scratched my paint.

Last edited:
So this is what im now working towards

Its taking me ages to gather level 5 mechanical materials at colonia, but im getting there slowly

I find i don't use both collectors so i might swap one for a fuel scoop, not sure yet though

Still not sure what size PD to go for, so i thought i'd go for the biggest one! Im not too worried about my jump range.

Last edited:
So this is what im now working towards

Its taking me ages to gather level 5 mechanical materials at colonia, but im getting there slowly

I find i don't use both collectors so i might swap one for a fuel scoop, not sure yet though

Still not sure what size PD to go for, so i thought i'd go for the biggest one! Im not too worried about my jump range.
Just a quick note, you have the abrasion blaster, seismic charges, and pulse wave scanner turned off on your build. Collectively, they require nearly 4.3 MW of power that is not budgeted in your build. If you want to run everything at the same time (except the SRV bay) you'll need to get another 3.8 MW of power output from of whatever power plant you decide to use. Considering that you aren't too worried about jump range, I'd seriously recommend upgrading your power plant to a 6A with armoured + thermal spread.

Also, if you think you might have other players coming after you, make sure you set your power priorities. Good power priorities can make the difference between escaping with your hull intact and getting a rebuy screen if your attacker gets lucky and manages to get your power plant to malfunction. You want your key systems for making an escape as priority 1 (particularly your thrusters and FSD), useful but less important systems as priority 2 or 3 (this is a good spot to put the shield generator), and non-combat systems as priority 4 or 5 (all of the mining gear would go here). There are a few important power thresholds to keep in mind, with power output dropping to 80% when a power plant malfunctions, dropping even further to 40% when a power plant is disabled, and returning to 50% after a few seconds of the power plant being disabled. Ideally, this means that priority 1 should require no more than 40% of your power output, with priority 2 requiring no more than 50% and priority 3 needing no more than 80%. I would recommend trying something like https://s.orbis.zone/6bmd.

I thought if i turned my 2 mining lasers off i could run the seismic charge launcher and abrasion blaster, i forgot how much power the PWS needs to run, thanks

I don't mind being attacked, i just don't want to get blown too easily

Learn to evade attacks, then most ships will survive any interdiction.

Never fly in a straight line.

Do not waste time trying to lay mines or fight back. You cannot hurt them. You are in a trade ship, not a fighting ship.

Keep moving. As erratically as possible. Use boost to apply extra movement to up, down and sideways. Not just for acceleration.

High wake if possible. Low wake if you want to be potentially intetdicted again.

And...

NEVER FLY IN A STRAIGHT LINE.

The krait and python both excel at the above, and are very hard to damage when evading.

I thought if i turned my 2 mining lasers off i could run the seismic charge launcher and abrasion blaster, i forgot how much power the PWS needs to run, thanks

Still in Colonia? PM me your CMDR name if you like or add me (if on PC).

So this is what i've got

I decided to ditch the vehicle hanger for a smaller refinery and add in a fuel scoop. Also atm, i cba to unlock the engineer to get military grade composites
Been attacked by npc pirates quite abit now and noticed my shields are pretty strong. Might swap to turreted mining lasers and abrasion blaster so i can help the fed's destroy the pirates.

Last edited:
Top Bottom