Plasma/Rail meta

The funny thing is a lot of people choose to use this loadout, because they think it's what they should be using, because it's what their 'heroes' are flying and telling people to practice, when they're actually horrible with it. I'm starting to be encouraged every time I face a PA and rail fdl, as unless you are a top 1%er, you won't hit me often enough to kill me before I kill you with weapons that are easier to use effectively. I do fly PA and rail FDL, but I'll admit I'm not as effective with it as I am with the frag Krait. And neither are many of the pilots I've faced. ;)

Fixed weapons are more fun, though, it's true, and none are more effective than PA and rails IF you land pretty much every volley.

Last edited:
From my PvE point of view - rails are absolute killers. With mouse aim they are even easy to use after some practice. I think if a weapon is OP then it's rails.

Frags are nice too, especially pacifiers. Also the Guardian Shards ain't that bad against human targets. But you have to get close and personal with all of them.

Plasmas, well I can't hit anything with them, except disabled ships. They are only good for finishing off stuff for me or for the really big targets, but needs to be pretty close too. So I prefer frags over plasma most of the time. Stats seem to be better for plasma, but I just feel them frags more.

I use multicannons for fire support. I rarely use lasers at all anymore. The only thing going for lasers is that they don't need ammo and maybe the heat vent effect...

Last edited:
Meh, fly around in Shinrarta on weekends. I guarantee you’ll meet a whole bunch of builds. It’s definitely not stale by any measure. Fixed beam/ full frag mambas, FDL’s with seekers, Chally with rapid fire cannons, vultures with pacifiers (quite a few of those), anaconda packed with pulses and beams. Frag kraits! It doesn’t stop there.. And people keep coming up with counters and new builds all the time. Like that fairly recent Yamato build with 4srb rails and corrosive multi.

And then there are wing considerations, which necessitate exotic combinations.

I think the main problem with railguns is the "micro-aiming" the game does when you have a module targeted. I think frontier should remove that help, then module sniping would be mucho more dificult and we would see again hull tank ships apart from the classic FDL.

What do you think?
Definitely. It's too easy and hull tanks need to be made viable again. Also, module target reticle should ALWAYS be red. I'm sick of not being able to see the sub reticle when it's green against the night vision (this happens when having a friendly against other squadron members).

i have to say a good effective and funny variant are SRB rails.
they are more challange to hit imho then PA meta and i have a lot of fun with them for me personally
the time window to get 1 km or below is so fxxxx small and you have to fly so accurate and anticipating to get the right shotpoint.
on a side note you are very evasive during this aligning for the full damage rail shot.

coming to frags. it depends on the combat speed you fly. you will not make much damage with frags against me cause they are simply too slow and spread too much but of course the casual way is that they hit very hard and make brutal damage when hitting the shield bubble.

oh and i absolutely second take away the mini gimbal effect of rails

Last edited:

ryan_m

Banned
Definitely. It's too easy and hull tanks need to be made viable again. Also, module target reticle should ALWAYS be red. I'm sick of not being able to see the sub reticle when it's green against the night vision (this happens when having a friendly against other squadron members).

The micro gimbal isn't why hull tanks aren't viable.

Top Bottom