Player Community Goal: Deliver commodities to help analyse and attempt to jam the Proteus Wave

Good points, mostly, but even taken at face value there is absolutely no way one can reasonably believe that the thargoid's alleged retributions are commensurate to the wrongs you are describing. If you are caught shoplifting the police should not be permitted to kill you, everyone around you, and then bomb the nearest airport.
Loitering is a crime punishable by death...

Good points, mostly, but even taken at face value there is absolutely no way one can reasonably believe that the thargoid's alleged retributions are commensurate to the wrongs you are describing. If you are caught shoplifting the police should not be permitted to kill you, everyone around you, and then bomb the nearest airport.

I think it is safe to say that what has been done to the Thargoids initially, does nowhere near compare to shoplifting in terms of severity, and the crimes against them did not stop at this point. Violence creating more violence, perfect example of a vicious circle. McCoy's and their strategic partners are trying to break it.

Not sure if this CG is going to do anything, I think the weapon is going to fail even without interference and/or wake up something worse.
But just in case that it does I've personally raided Heart of Taurus and Bright Sentinel of their computer components entirely and brought them to carriers in Synuefe CT-O d7-57, filling one carrier's demand completely.
Good luck o7

Oh, the something worse is the Far God/Guardian AI, whatever you want to call them, because it was Ram Tah that gave them that name, they could be called "fuzzy murder hobos" and he named them Guardians for PR purposes so he can make all the credits getting his factories to pump out guardian derived tech

Greetings again Commanders,

I have amended the OP to note that commodity demand on the involved carrier vessels is being updated regularly via the INARA platform, so ensure you check and you won't have to worry about being caught short.

Right on, Commanders.

Not sure if this CG is going to do anything, I think the weapon is going to fail even without interference and/or wake up something worse.

Dropping out of character for a moment, if you will forgive me.

Of course this event is not going to change FDev's planned chain of events in any way, we should all be aware of this.
It is a statement, a way to make voices heard that do not agree with the attempt of genocide. It is also a fully player driven fun role play event, plus an opportunity to earn a pile of cash. What's not to like?

Ok, back in character now :)

Every single attacked station has an AEGIS early warning beacon orbiting 1000 km from it, because that is where their labs were, the Thargoids were being attracted to the labs of stolen Thargoid stuff.

Every capital ship destroyed was advertised in Galnet prior about being a convoy carrying Thargoid stuff.
Does this make the whole station a legitimate military target ignoring collateral damage?

Does the second part also cover Thargoids attacking the systems Alexandria was in?

There could be good reasons for them to attack those places, but without diplomacy/communication this looks like an attempt to prevent any deterrent against future Thargoid attacks if we do anything that displeases them. Even if humans using that research offensively is more likely the attacks won't stop it. Saying they are attracted to stolen Thargoid stuff in these cases makes it seem a bit like they have no agency to make decisions about whether to react violently or not (like someone playing a video game where the only possible interaction is to shoot stuff).

What's the positive spin on the escape pods the Thargoids kept taking? Do they just turn them in at search and rescue like the rest of us?

What's the positive spin on the escape pods the Thargoids kept taking? Do they just turn them in at search and rescue like the rest of us?
We did the same thing to them, they're now doing it to us. It's payback. Sinister, but payback.
Additionally, any ship that is destroyed by them - for them to collect the escape pods - has obviously provoked them or deliberately entered a dangerous area.

Of course, but things didn't go from shoplifting to bombing airports. I'm not sure exactly which wrong is being linked to which retribution here, but to work backwards from the "airport bombing", that was probably more to do with the multiple massacre operations that Aegis had placed on Thargoids in the Pleiades. So less "shoplifting" and more "killing everything in sight".

First large scale strike on November 1st, second on November 23rd, throw in a massive expansion of Aegis presence in the Pleiades on Dec 2nd (gotta place the bait), and then for some inexplicable reason, Aegis stations come under attack two weeks later.
It is currently unclear why the pertinent starports were targeted by the Thargoids, but Aegis is investigating the issue.
For comparison of timing, the shoplifting and related incidents were around April time. And finally, despite Aegis running operations that could be described as killing them and everyone around them, the counterattack was restrained. They could have torn the stations to shreds, and they didn't. It was supposed to be a message, but the powers did not listen.
Footage from starport security feeds indicate that the Thargoid ships used their shutdown fields to neutralise station defences before targeting the main reactor. One eyewitness said, “It’s like they wanted to cripple us rather than destroy us outright.”

Julian, do you even want to guess what the insurance premium is on a megaship?

Breaking character: This idea from the community to have a wanted option in the story to make a protest and have the ability to play with and against others is very welcome. Yes, the Salvation weapon is going to go off. For those of us who want to play as a Thargoid Sympathizer/Salvation protester/Anti-Genocide proponent/Alien Researcher or whatever you like to be in your spaceship this gives the possibility. That's fun!

Of course, but things didn't go from shoplifting to bombing airports. I'm not sure exactly which wrong is being linked to which retribution here, but to work backwards from the "airport bombing", that was probably more to do with the multiple massacre operations that Aegis had placed on Thargoids in the Pleiades. So less "shoplifting" and more "killing everything in sight".

First large scale strike on November 1st, second on November 23rd, throw in a massive expansion of Aegis presence in the Pleiades on Dec 2nd (gotta place the bait), and then for some inexplicable reason, Aegis stations come under attack two weeks later.

For comparison of timing, the shoplifting and related incidents were around April time. And finally, despite Aegis running operations that could be described as killing them and everyone around them, the counterattack was restrained. They could have torn the stations to shreds, and they didn't. It was supposed to be a message, but the powers did not listen.
Let's take a step back and look at the numbers behindtheir "retaliations". How many thargoid civilians, civilian thargoid vessels, and civilian thargoid habitations have been destroyed by humans in this conflict? You don't even need to use your fingers for this because the number is zero. Can you even begin to estimate how many innocent humans have been kidnapped or killed during the same period? Thargoids are not the victims in this conflict, we are. When in doubt, I always root for the underdog, but to each their own.

Let's take a step back and look at the numbers behindtheir "retaliations". How many thargoid civilians, civilian thargoid vessels, and civilian thargoid habitations have been destroyed by humans in this conflict? You don't even need to use your fingers for this because the number is zero. Can you even begin to estimate how many innocent humans have been kidnapped or killed during the same period? Thargoids are not the victims in this conflict, we are. When in doubt, I always root for the underdog, but to each their own.
I have a simple response, though. It's our own fault.

If anybody suddenly thought, "oh, I'm going to go and live in the middle of annexed Thargoid space and I'll take my wife and children, what could possibly go wrong?"

Then they're, quite simply - my press officer is going to kill me for this - a moron.

I have a simple response, though. It's our own fault.

If anybody suddenly thought, "oh, I'm going to go and live in the middle of annexed Thargoid space and I'll take my wife and children, what could possibly go wrong?"

Then they're, quite simply - my press officer is going to kill me for this - a moron.
Morons or not, this commander will always side with humanity.

On that note, I'll probably contribute to your CG anyway. Your money spends just like the other fellas. o7

I am sorry if I am asking a stupid question.

But can the carriers be "attacked" / disabled by other players? Can this escalate into a war between the "pro thargoid faction" vs "the AX initiative"?

Not taking sides here. Just pure curiosity.

I don't believe it's valid to discount non-civilian deaths, because
a) there's a ton of complicating factors

b) the definition of a Thargoid civilian is down to speculation, but if they do exist, the number is zero not because of our own restraint (our approach is "kill everything in sight"), but because they're not dumb enough to put them in harms way.

c) on the other hand, our number of civilian casualties is not zero not because of a lack of Thargoid restraint, but because people are going to invade Thargoid territory. Do people who have moved into occupied enemy territory even count as civilians? Or are they meatshields to trigger outrage when the Thargoids counterattack in defence of their territory?

d) the bubble attacks (aka the ones that definitely affect civilians) only occur when humans deliberately provoke the Thargoids into attacking human settlements. They are sacrificed for propaganda.

e) the bubble attacks didn't even start until the war was already well underway. The start of this was over the military forces that had invaded the Pleiades.

Incidentally, and related to c), we can make a rough estimate of human casualties because GalNet sometimes lists them. They're low, because the Thargoids aren't there to kill them. For example, the first attack was against three stations, total system population 2.7 million. Death count listed on GalNet?
They don't even know if it's more than 1,000, but let's scale that up by a hundred and say 100,000. That's 3% for an estimate that is probably orders of magnitude out. Now scale it back down again by ??? because we're only interested in the unknown number of civilians that moved out into Thargoid territory for some reason, but I doubt they had too many office workers out there in place of support staff for the massacre operations and tech harvesting.

If the Thargoids built infrastructure in our territory, used it to launch massacre operations, and stocked it with stolen technology, I don't think we'd be commanded to just disable their station and then leave it, rather than tear it to shreds while it was helpless.

But can the carriers be "attacked" / disabled by other players? Can this escalate into a war between the "pro thargoid faction" vs "the AX initiative"?

Nope, which kinda sucks. But in a way that means that any potential conflict over this would have to take the same form as conflict over a normal trade CG (ie ineffective blockades of the invincible port that is accepting the deliveries).

Carriers can be attacked? Yes, but you most likely don't want to as they have defenses like stations...

Can a carrier be destroyed? Not as far as I know.

Can they be damaged? Not as afar as I know...

They're like stations but mobile...

Nope, which kinda sucks. But in a way that means that any potential conflict over this would have to take the same form as conflict over a normal trade CG (ie ineffective blockades of the invincible port that is accepting the deliveries).
Damn, what a Shame, it would be so cool if this could escalate into one of those legendary eve online battle like events: not only wars, but the infiltration, betrayal, and that kind of stuff.

Top Bottom