News Player events and news items

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Hi everyone,

I’m sure you’re all familiar with the GalNet newsfeed in game and how we’re using it to provide updates on the various storylines currently active in game. We want to expand the newsfeed to include more player generated news and particularly upcoming events. As part of this process you can submit a news item for consideration by posting in this thread. To submit a news item simply post with the following:

- Date and time for the news item/event
- Title – This should be brief and include the location in the form of a system
- Description – This should ideally be no more than 150 words
- Commander name

There are a few rules that need to be followed for submissions:

- Only submit a news item once
- We’ll pick which items are suitable – don’t be offended if we don’t use yours!
- We will edit the text if needed to make it fit with the game
- Legal protection – we own the copyright of the text we use in game

I look forward to receiving your news and events!

Edit: The process is changing to allow us to use more current news items that are posted. These items will be used as local news and local news will be available in English only. We'll still pick some items for global news, but these ideally need to be an announcement in advance or not time sensitive so they can go through our edit and translation process.

Edit: Here’s a bit more info about how we decide which of your submissions to re-post on GalNet:

- We look for submissions that don’t overlap with, or contradict, our own storylines. We usually have a number of stories running simultaneously, and each of them tends to play out over a number of weeks or months. If a submission contradicts – or predicts – something we’re planning to do in the future, we can’t post it on GalNet.
- We look for submissions that are well written. Don’t worry – it doesn’t have to be a literary masterpiece! But the less editing a piece requires, the more likely it is to be posted on GalNet.
- We look for submissions that are of an appropriate length, and that tell a specific story.

It’s always a good idea to provide a location for your story in the form of a system name, because even if we feel a story isn’t right for the global GalNet page, we might publish it in the local news for the relevant system.

Finally, we always include the name of the commander who submitted the story because it makes it easier to distinguish player-submitted stories from Frontier’s own stories.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Great initiative! Maybe in the future there could be a way to submit news items that doesn't go through the forum? Perhaps something in the game launcher, or the mobile app...

Thisis awesome news. while we're taking about gal net news - I was happy to see news of most wanted players ( bounties)in your current system showing up however this hasn't been updated since December. Is there a plan for this to be updated daily/weekly?

It really adds a cool level of gameplay thinking you can track down wanted players across systems.

- Date and time for the news item/event

04:31 15 Jan 3301

- Title – this should be brief and include the location

Earth-Like World Discovered Near Galactic Core

- Description – This should be no more than 150 words

An Earth-Like world was discovered a mere 3.66 LY from Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the centre of our galaxy. Orbiting twin suns, the fourth planet in system Stuemeae FG-Y d7561 CD bears signs of life. Xenobiologists are eager to determine how it managed to evolve in such a harsh stellar environment.

- Commander Name

CMDR Andargor

EDIT: Reference: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=98852&p=1539592&viewfull=1#post1539592
EDIT2: Corrected system name and date

Last edited:
Here's a story : 148 words 847 characters

-------------------------------------------------------

Dock Blocked @ Jordan Orbital (HR 494)
16:40 19 Jan 3300

Commanding his Lakon Type 9, Baron (Jake) Skyrunner was coming to the end of his trading day. Everything was fine until his final docking manoeuvre. On being granted access though the massive entryway to the landing pads, the Baron found that there was a Anaconda parked on his assigned bay. Having only 8 minutes left before either leaving for open space again or landing, Baron Skyrunner positioned his ship 'The Profit Machine', over the cockpit of the Anaconda in hopes that they would see him signalling (not very politely) to move on... but no. The Baron had to take his ship back to open space, and contact the station to submit a complaint. On talking to the docking controller for that day we got the statement "We had a trainee that day, who has since been fired"

------------------------------------------------------

Jan 19th 3301,

Civil war in Savi System

An open war has broken out in the Savi system between two minor independent factions Savi Systems Corporation and New Savi Justice Party. 3 of the 4 minor outposts in the system are at war, however the main stations have been spared. Both sides are calling on independent commanders to help them in this time of need.

Reporting by CMDR Daylan

Last edited:
Here's a story : 148 words 847 characters

-------------------------------------------------------

Dock Blocked @ Jordan Orbital (HR 494)
16:40 19 Jan 3300

Commanding his Lakon Type 9, Baron (Jake) Skyrunner was coming to the end of his trading day. Everything was fine until his final docking manoeuvre. On being granted access though the massive entryway to the landing pads, the Baron found that there was a Anaconda parked on his assigned bay. Having only 8 minutes left before either leaving for open space again or landing, Baron Skyrunner positioned his ship 'The Profit Machine', over the cockpit of the Anaconda in hopes that they would see him signalling (not very politely) to move on... but no. The Baron had to take his ship back to open space, and contact the station to submit a complaint. On talking to the docking controller for that day we got the statement "We had a trainee that day, who has since been fired"

------------------------------------------------------

Thats more of a 'One-show' feature, dont think it will make GalNet ;)

CMDR Mephane (not sure why relevant, this is not something my ingame character would have written.)

19. January 3301
Rumours around negotiations in Shinrarta Dezhra

New fuel has been added to the fire of recent rumours that the Pilots Federation might currently be negotiating significant changes to the Interstellar Treaty of Citizen Security (ITCS) in order to include a new paragraph named "Accidental Legal Weapons Discharge Clause". An Imperial Clipper has been spotted entering Jameson Memorial, and an anonymous eyewitness claimed to have seen a man in an Imperial dignitary's robes, accompanied by several assistants and heavily armed guards, leave the vessel immediately after it had been secured on the pad.

We have reached out for a statement from the Pilots Federation's PR office, but they declined to comment.

Thats more of a 'One-show' feature, dont think it will make GalNet ;)

So it has to be news about their storyline? what's the point of that, as they are going to report their version of all storyline events anyway, would be better to be able to submit ANY story to galnet about anything that happens to a pilot, be it storyline related or otherwise.

But if you're right, then I will continue to ignore the news within this game. No diversity.

Feel free to flame and agree with each other that my post is wrong, as I will not be back to this thread to read it.

Michael Brookes

Game Director
So it has to be news about their storyline? what's the point of that, as they are going to report their version of all storyline events anyway, would be better to be able to submit ANY story to galnet about anything that happens to a pilot, be it storyline related or otherwise.

But if you're right, then I will continue to ignore the news within this game. No diversity.

Feel free to flame and agree with each other that my post is wrong, as I will not be back to this thread to read it.

No it doesn't have to relate to our storylines.

Michael

I think the point of this is to generate news about ongoing events, to encourage player participation. Of course FD will write about their own storylines, but a piece of creative writing about Ho Hsi or Mikunn's conflicts is the aim. I think I'll touch on the religious zealots in Lave when I get to a keyboard.

Question: let's say I killed a wanted NPC with a relevant name, would it be possible to make a news amongst the lines of "emperor relative has been killed in [system] after being found guilty of several offenses" ?
(eg: http://imgur.com/a/Gx5MR)

Regardless, great idea !

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom