Player Mass Lock: Is it's removal intentional??

I'm operating under the assumption that this is a bug and that if I low wake from ships that should masslock my CMDR's vessel, without waiting an appropriate period of time, I am cheating via exploit.

If you high wake from me I just follow the wake b/c I have a scanner.

Often faster to just look at the direction they jumped in and even if you follow a wise CMDR who doesn't want to be followed will have dropped out of SC the moment the system they jumped to loaded, so that anyone following them would enter a new instance with no low-wake to find.

Often faster to just look at the direction they jumped in and even if you follow a wise CMDR who doesn't want to be followed will have dropped out of SC the moment the system they jumped to loaded, so that anyone following them would enter a new instance with no low-wake to find.

Agreed 100% on immediately low wake, if they are that on the money there is no chance, because FDev doesn't like it when commanders meet each other outside shinrarta and eravate and CGs and DW. Heaven forbid a wake persist for a minute or two, or cause proper instance behavior.

As far as faster, I find I have better chances of landing in same instance if I follow the wake scan than select the system, so I use wake scan. But you are correct, if one has guessed the target system ahead of time based on vector that will get you there sooner. As far as instancing chances... :shrug:

There are other tricks to lose CMDRs who are wake chasing. I won't post, my life is hard enough already.

Last edited:
Reading some of these comments in here, like that one I just quoted, makes me cringe a lot. This board with it's carebears and their baby-like crying if something just looked at them wrong is really really sad. If you play open, learn to live with getting shot at.

The real world is not safe either, you can leave your home and get shot as well or become involved in a fist fight. What you gonna do there? Cry until someone comes and disables death in reallife or something for those who have not agreed to being shot at? Ridiclious. Space is not safe, life is not safe. Go and hide in a Solo or a PG if you are that afraid of others shooting at you.
If pvp was what you're after, why not play CQC

If pvp was what you're after, why not play CQC

Can't speak for LL, but the primary reason is it's basically impossible to find a match on PS4. It almost always has to be arranged via outside channels. On the rare occasions I get to play, I love it, even when losing badly.

If would could queue for CQC while doing other stuff, this might not be a problem.

I expect PC similar, but not as bad.

You dont notice it when you attack a sidewinder or cobra with your corvette ;)

The closest thing I own to a Corvette is the black friday skin I bought years ago.

Never actually bothered to unlock the ship.

I did kill 600 or so sidewinders in Quince way back when...

But I used an FDL for most of that work.

And it was the Overlord's work, indeed.

Every one of those sidewinders contained a filthy exploiter.

A dirty cheater.

An entitled fool.

They were a strain upon the very fabric of the universe, threatening to collapse an entire quadrant into a black hole with their dark technologies.

It was a service to all mankind.

ZO

Last edited:
Speaking as a non-PvPer and all around carebear, I only noticed this when I first took off from a planet where my jump-point to the target system was behind the horizon.
Took off, jumped to SC, cleared the horizon and realised I could engage my FSD immediately, without having to wait to break mass-lock.

My first thought was "Oooh, that'll be handy cos it'll make jumping easier.
My 2nd thought, about 10 seconds later, was "Well, that's gonna suck for PvPers".

Dunno if this is a bug or if somebody at FDev thought it'd speed-up jumps from planet-surfaces without considering the implications for PvP but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Might sound harsh but, as has been said, if it was up to me I'd probably change it so mass-lock applied to all uses of the FSD.
Personally, I tend to take the view that avoiding ganks is the clever part, rather than escaping them.

Speaking as a non-PvPer and all around carebear, I only noticed this when I first took off from a planet where my jump-point to the target system was behind the horizon.
Took off, jumped to SC, cleared the horizon and realised I could engage my FSD immediately, without having to wait to break mass-lock.

My first thought was "Oooh, that'll be handy cos it'll make jumping easier.
My 2nd thought, about 10 seconds later, was "Well, that's gonna suck for PvPers".

Dunno if this is a bug or if somebody at FDev thought it'd speed-up jumps from planet-surfaces without considering the implications for PvP but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Might sound harsh but, as has been said, if it was up to me I'd probably change it so mass-lock applied to all uses of the FSD.
Personally, I tend to take the view that avoiding ganks is the clever part, rather than escaping them.

Wait, what's that all about? Near planet surface you're only mass locked for like 2 km by the planet. And no mass lock in supercruise.

Last edited:
Is this a thread about ganking? I think it might be a thread about ganking...

Tbh, any thread involving any sort of PVP mechanics devolves into a rantfest about gankers and carebears, while the guys who actually wish to discuss the topic are mostly ignored.

Still not sure if jumping from MLF range is a punishable exploit or not, it's too easy to abuse even unintentionally.

The official FDev stance is this:
"We also do not tolerate the use of any exploits or the use of any possible bugs in the game to generate player advantage.
Any player caught cheating or taking advantage of any exploits or bugs will be penalised and could face a game ban. "

Wait, what's that all about? Near planet surface you're only mass locked for like 2 km by the planet. And no mass lock in supercruise.

That's not how it used to work for me.

Once I climbed to 2km and then entered SC, I'd be mass-locked again until I reached the glide-ceiling (usually around 50km altitude).

That's not how it used to work for me.

Once I climbed to 2km and then entered SC, I'd be mass-locked again until I reached the glide-ceiling (usually around 50km altitude).

I'm not so sure now if you put it that way. It's quite a rare case to engage high wake like that. Anyway, celestial bodies' mass lock, which totally prevent you from engaging FSD, differs from ships' mass lock (slows down low wake but does not affect high wake).

Edit: Tried to take off again just to pick this up. I think you are right. Maybe they just messed up with both.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure now if you put it that way. It's quite a rare case to engage high wake like that. Anyway, celestial bodies' mass lock, which totally prevent you from engaging FSD, differs from ships' mass lock (slows down low wake but does not affect high wake).

I guess I'm just unlucky 'cos it seems like I'm constantly wanting to jump to a system which is just over the horizon of whatever planet I'm on.
As a result of that, I'm always faced with the choice of either having to hang around while my ship climbs to an altitude of ~15km on the surface or engage the FSD and hang around while my ship climbs to an altitude of ~50km in SC befor I can make the jump to the target system.

Now, I can just enter SC, climb until the target is visible over the horizon and immediately make my jump.

Dunno if the two things are related or not but it seems like, whatever's changed, it's had an effect on both orbital mass lock and ship-to-ship mass lock.
I wonder if they really are two separate issues?
Maybe if you were flying a ship that had, erm, the same mass as a planet you'd be able to prevent another ship's FSD spooling up completely? [where is it]

Last edited:
Top Bottom