Player Minor Factions: General Discussions

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier
Hello folks,

Thank you for all the feedback so far!

In regards to 'system not found,' we are currently investigating the cause of this and will hopefully have more information soon.

In regards to console players being unable to apply for a faction: this is, of course, not intended. If you're on console, you should log in (on the form) with the email address you registered with us when signing up for a Frontier Account when first loading up the game. More information about that 'linking' process can be found here for PS4 users and here for Xbox One users.

We'll let you know as soon as we have an update. :)

Edit: corrected previous information.

Last edited:
I've got a question. How does frontier plan on verifying playergroups actually have the required players and are actually a player group. Not just trolls or folks trying to use the submission process to ruin other groups' BGS like we've seen in the past? Currently anyone can lie on the submission form for player groups & lie about the pmf submission process. Infact I have spoken with a commander who submitted two pmf request that BOTH made it through back in April. They have different names and different systems, but the two friends are from the same outcast group of 7 on Inara. Frankly, this kind of thing made a couple of our BGS oriented players a bit cranky since some of us followed the rules to get where we are, and it appears others are getting the same reward for bending the rules. I guess what I want to know is, now that we have this fantastic system, is there new better ways of confirming players are really associated to a playergroup and later player faction request?

I've got a question. How does frontier plan on verifying playergroups actually have the required players and are actually a player group. Not just trolls or folks trying to use the submission process to ruin other groups' BGS like we've seen in the past? Currently anyone can lie on the submission form for player groups & lie about the pmf submission process. Infact I have spoken with a commander who submitted two pmf request that BOTH made it through back in April. They have different names and different systems, but the two friends are from the same outcast group of 7 on Inara. Frankly, this kind of thing made a couple of our BGS oriented players a bit cranky since some of us followed the rules to get where we are, and it appears others are getting the same reward for bending the rules. I guess what I want to know is, now that we have this fantastic system, is there new better ways of confirming players are really associated to a playergroup and later player faction request?

And more, it would be nice if FDev would make a "clean up", removing the PMFs which are no longer active. Something like "PMF X was born on system ABC, but it is the last (in influence) on that system for months". Well, to me it is a sign that the PMF is pretty much dead.

Of course there are some PMFs whose owners have abandoned the game for a long time, but the PMF kindda survives because other players pass by their system and complete missions given by it. OK, those are PMFs which won't "look like dead", no problem.

Why doing a PMF cleanup? To make room on some interesting systems for those Player Groups who are interested on getting those as "HOME SYSTEM".

And more, it would be nice if FDev would make a "clean up", removing the PMFs which are no longer active. Something like "PMF X was born on system ABC, but it is the last (in influence) on that system for months". Well, to me it is a sign that the PMF is pretty much dead.

Of course there are some PMFs whose owners have abandoned the game for a long time, but the PMF kindda survives because other players pass by their system and complete missions given by it. OK, those are PMFs which won't "look like dead", no problem.

Why doing a PMF cleanup? To make room on some interesting systems for those Player Groups who are interested on getting those as "HOME SYSTEM".
Don't like the idea. This might affect PMFs, that can't dedicate that much playtime to the game or have a break and want to go on with the next patch etc. Would definitely affect quite a few PMFs that are still interested in maintaining their own faction.

The universe is big, and even the bubble is. Should be enough space for everyone.

ok so i have the link for a minor faction.

As on another thread i want to start a new minor faction as the existing one is defunct, i was looking for the thread to make a new player group but its taking me to an old defunct thread....help!

found your newpost...no link to the form....for player group not faction

Last edited:
Don't like the idea. This might affect PMFs, that can't dedicate that much playtime to the game or have a break and want to go on with the next patch etc. Would definitely affect quite a few PMFs that are still interested in maintaining their own faction.

The universe is big, and even the bubble is. Should be enough space for everyone.

The period of inactivity could be discussed. When I say months, I thinkf of at least.... I don't know... 6 months? There are PMFs which have been abandoned for more than 1 year. They are simply there... "occupying space", blocking other people from requesting said system.

In our own example...

System = Guathiti
PMF = Bloodhounds of the Empire

Because of that PMF we couldn't be created in Guathiti, one year ago. By that time, that PMF was already inactive. And I say that because I really don't believe someone would request a PMF and woudln't try to gain control of the system or at least own a single station. But that was the case. They didn't have a single station and were always in "bottom 2" position in the system :(

Fingers crossed you will avoid dropping PMF into systems hosting Rare Goods. Pretty please :)

Edit: I notice presence of Rares is not listed as a limitation on locations, :(
It is now - here's the list on the form:
Lore Important Systems.
Permit Locked Systems.
Starter/New-player Systems.
Systems located in the Colonia Region.
Rare Commodity Systems.
'Highly active' Systems.
Systems 'in the news'.
Too many applications to the same system.
Restricted/Permit-only Systems.
Systems with no population. All systems have to have a population of at least one.
Systems with another Player Faction; be it expanded or initial.
Systems that do not match up to your minor faction's government type and/or parent Superpower.
More than a combined total of seven player and/or NPC factions to a system.
All systems must be within 500 ly of Sol.

<snip/>I really don't believe someone would request a PMF and woudln't try to gain control of the system or at least own a single station. But that was the case. They didn't have a single station and were always in "bottom 2" position in the system :(

Possible alternative (and not intending to start an off-topic discussion): I've recently started researching and playing the BGS, but I've learned enough to believe some who say it might be better if the faction you support doesn't control a station. In my limited experience, owning a station can be a detriment if your goal is to keep it.

Recently, upon trying to submit my PMF form. I received this ….

"Your user account is not permitted to submit a minor factions request at this time - Please try again later or contact customer support for more information."

I am curious if anyone else has run into this issue.

I do enjoy this new system, it is much easier.

Thank you

@Will and @Brett,

Which will result in earlier insertion into the game, letting the existing manual application complete or canceling that and reapplying using the new automated system?

The automation and easier submission is an improvement. It would be a lot better if Player Minor Factions are tied to the upcoming Squadrons.

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
Re existing, but inactive PMFs.
When it's obvious that a PMF is inactive (and I mean actually listed as inactive on Inara), there should be a way to replace that PMF with a new one. I know of atleast one group that have a home system, always have, and even have that system in their group name. They can unfortunately not apply for a PMF in their home system, because it's currently occupied by an inactive group according to Inara.

I think this is a detriment to new PMFs coming into the game, who actually want to play with the system. Some sort of purging should be applied for PMFs that are proven to be inactive (ie. listed as such on Inara, no members in the player group, etc).

Both the question for a reliable application process and for activity proof of an existing PMF could be solved by tying it somehow to the CMDRs - which most likely brings us back to squadrons.

You say you have 10 CMDRs applying for a player group / minor faction? Tell me their names. Even better let all of them sign the submission form.
You say your PMF is active though looking like a dead body? Let's check server logs of said (currently active) CMDRs for your PMF.

Other than that I believe the new process already represents a big improvement compared to the old one.
o7

Recently, upon trying to submit my PMF form. I received this ….

"Your user account is not permitted to submit a minor factions request at this time - Please try again later or contact customer support for more information."

I am curious if anyone else has run into this issue.

I do enjoy this new system, it is much easier.

Thank you

same for me, the not knowing what’s going on is most frustrating

Already sent BrettC a message; but I can confirm the new implementation system doesn't seem to list any systems outside of the bubble.

All 3 of the locations I've previously requested are, according to it "non-existent."

So something else to be aware of if you've got a strange PMF you're requesting.

Already sent BrettC a message; but I can confirm the new implementation system doesn't seem to list any systems outside of the bubble.

All 3 of the locations I've previously requested are, according to it "non-existent."

So something else to be aware of if you've got a strange PMF you're requesting.

Please pay attention to the part where the new system says one can't choose a system which is more than 500Ly from Sol.

Top Bottom