Playstation 5: Confirmed backwards compatibility

Hej guys,

Sony just spread word regarding the new PS5 coming up, featuring backwards compatibility! Do you think we will benefit in Elite Dangerous from the new hardware?
More can be found here: Link to article

Confirmed so far:
  • Ray tracing & '3D audio' will heighten sound & visuals
  • Supports PSVR
  • SSD support will slice load times dramatically
  • Will have disk drive & work with PS4 games
So far the previous leak was correct and many points (regarding the hardware) of that list were officially confirmed: https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR
Greetings and fly safe

Last edited:
Sony just spread word regarding the new PS5 coming up, featuring backwards compatibility! Do you think we will benefit in Elite Dangerous from the new hardware?
More can be found here: Link to article
I will! At the very least, I'll be upgrading from a PS4 Slim to PS4 Pro graphics for all my PS4 games. I'm sure glad I ignored everyone telling me to buy a PS4 Pro today ;)

Last edited:
many interesting things. I always liked AMD and the intention of the SSD seems plausible but I wonder how much of this dream kit will make it to market?

To truly benefit from the new hardware it would be necessary to get a "PS5 patch", not unlike what happened for the Xbox1x patch when that came out.

But that also requires of Frontier to do the work to optimize the game for a completely new platform. Considering their track record of optimizing the game on PS4 and fixing our bugs, I am really not holding my breath. And PSVR is yet another can of worms. Everything can be done (see NMS). It just takes work. And it's pretty clear that PS4 has never been high on Frontier's list of priorities and workload assignment.

To truly benefit from the new hardware it would be necessary to get a "PS5 patch", not unlike what happened for the Xbox1x patch when that came out.
My understanding is that the PS5 is to XBox One as PS4 is to XBox 360. In other words, it'll play PS4 games, but it will also have new games written specifically for PS5 that take advantage of all the extra features. If Frontier writes and sells a PS5-only version of ED "New Era", then that's money in their pockets, and they'd be foolish not to. I almost think their stockholders will demand it. Despite all my grumblings about ED on PS4, I'd buy it again for PS5 if that version offered a compelling number of additional features / graphical enhancements.

I just hope the PS5 version of ED supports cross-play with the PS4 version of ED so that I can finally multicrew with myself when PS5 is released.

My understanding is that the PS5 is to XBox One as PS4 is to XBox 360. In other words, it'll play PS4 games, but it will also have new games written specifically for PS5 that take advantage of all the extra features. If Frontier writes and sells a PS5-only version of ED "New Era", then that's money in their pockets, and they'd be foolish not to. I almost think their stockholders will demand it. Despite all my grumblings about ED on PS4, I'd buy it again for PS5 if that version offered a compelling number of additional features / graphical enhancements.

I just hope the PS5 version of ED supports cross-play with the PS4 version of ED so that I can finally multicrew with myself when PS5 is released.

I'm not sure there are precedents for a "living game" to jump from one generation of consoles to another. The honest thing to do would be to simply scale the game to fit the new hardware with a free patch, just as it would happen with someone buying a new PC or as it happened with Xbox1X. But that'd be working for free for Frontier, and I have very little hope they'd do a good job with it (just look at all the complaints about the crap framerate the Xbox1x people get when at 4K, complaints never addressed by Frontier).

On the other hand, as you say, they could go the "NEW PS5 GAME" route. That's more lucrative for them and -- one would hope -- would force them to do a better job with it. But then again: would I buy Elite again for PS5? I'm not sure I would.

I'm not sure there are precedents for a "living game" to jump from one generation of consoles to another.
I'm not sure what you define as a living game, but DCUO (an MMO) coexisted on PS3 and PS4 and allowed cross-play between the two. There are lots of multiplayer games that debuted on PS3 that received PS4 versions. Most required complete repurchases, others like Minecraft could be purchased for a fraction of the cost on PS4 if you owned the PS3 version.

The difference with PS5 is it'll run PS4 games out-of-the-box, so at the very least I'll have ED with PS4 Pro graphics. Even if Frontier doesn't do a thing to PS4 ED, I'm hoping that PS5 will provide Quality mode graphics at Performance mode framerate (similar to PS4 Pro's "Boost Mode"), so for me on PS4 Slim, the PS5 will be a significant upgrade even for my current PS4 games.

And no, I'm not wasting money on an antiquated PS4 Pro today. I can happily wait until 2020 for the PS5. Still, Frontier needs to fix the game on PS4, including these horrible broken shadows. If FDev continues to show contempt for their Playstation customers, then I too will be rethinking any investment in a PS5 version of ED.

I'm not sure what you define as a living game, but DCUO (an MMO) coexisted on PS3 and PS4 and allowed cross-play between the two. There are lots of multiplayer games that debuted on PS3 that received PS4 versions. Most required complete repurchases, others like Minecraft could be purchased for a fraction of the cost on PS4 if you owned the PS3 version.

The difference with PS5 is it'll run PS4 games out-of-the-box, so at the very least I'll have ED with PS4 Pro graphics. Even if Frontier doesn't do a thing to PS4 ED, I'm hoping that PS5 will provide Quality mode graphics at Performance mode framerate (similar to PS4 Pro's "Boost Mode"), so for me on PS4 Slim, the PS5 will be a significant upgrade even for my current PS4 games.

And no, I'm not wasting money on an antiquated PS4 Pro today. I can happily wait until 2020 for the PS5. Still, Frontier needs to fix the game on PS4, including these horrible broken shadows. If FDev continues to show contempt for their Playstation customers, then I too will be rethinking any investment in a PS5 version of ED.

You're right, there are other examples. Well, we'll have to wait and see. (but we're pretty good at that, aren't we?)

And yeah, I really don't see the point for someone in your position to upgrade to Pro now. Fall 2020 seems like a very plausible launch window for PS5 now.

I'm not sure there are precedents for a "living game" to jump from one generation of consoles to another.

From memory, at the point of PS4 launch, Sony confirmed that backwards compatibility was a problem because of hardware architecture not game design. The different hardware meant that games typically needed to be re-built from PS3 to PS4.

PS4, Slim and Pro all use the same core architecture and already show that the same game can run different configurations. (Duck EBL, Standard PS4 and Enhanced Pro graphics or performance)
Sony made a big deal of the PS4 moving to a common architecture that would allow future games to be backwards compatible on older versions of the platform.

I see the PS5 as being the top end of the Sony gaming tree with developers either being able to run a PS4 emulation on the PS5 hardware or patching game code to allow extra features to be used.

I fear that PSVR may be a strange implementation. In order to retain the backwards compatibility, there must be equivalence across the platforms and that if the game is to continue to work on the older PS4 platforms, then PSVR will need to be available to those platforms and that is where the Elite implementation will fail. I would love to be proven wrong. I have a PSVR gathering dust as I took a punt just before Elite was released that PSVR would be supported. As good as PSVR is, I would love to marry Elite and PSVR. I am very envious of the PC VR gamers.

I have a PSVR gathering dust as I took a punt just before Elite was released that PSVR would be supported. As good as PSVR is, I would love to marry Elite and PSVR. I am very envious of the PC VR gamers.
At the risk of drifting off-topic, it's time to blow the dust off that PSVR. Love it or hate it, you've got to at least try No Man's Sky in PSVR. For the first time since I returned my own PSVR because of dead pixels, I'm wishing I still had it...

No Man's Sky also has better shadows :p

At the risk of drifting off-topic, it's time to blow the dust off that PSVR. Love it or hate it, you've got to at least try No Man's Sky in PSVR. For the first time since I returned my own PSVR because of dead pixels, I'm wishing I still had it...

No Man's Sky also has better shadows :p

I'll try to put you back on track and return you from Tangent town.
Very good article from Eurogamer on what they know about the PS5 (working title)

Eurogamer

I don't think we'll see any significant improvement from FDev for the PS5 - the dev costs wont fit with their end of game life cycle will it? Even pushing this game to 2022 in new developments before it goes to seed, they wont spend the time and money on a 2 year return. So i think you can tinfoil hat rule that one out. Probably get a patch to keep it working on PS5 but it wont be built for it.

As for PSVR - i think the 'box and headset' are part of the problem. The graphics displaying on the screen outside the headset are perfectly fine its the headset thats the issue i believe. We will need, and I hope they build, a headset capable of rendering better graphics at the eye rather than the grainy feed you currently get that makes it appear like your looking through a dirty window on a wet day.

Thing is they also confirmed a not 2019 release date so you will get plenty of use out of a Pro.

I wouldn’t buy a Pro yet but am considering a new mobile phone and there are quite a few that have a free PS4 Pro with a two year contract so that may be my path until the PS5 comes out.

The difference with PS5 is it'll run PS4 games out-of-the-box

Manage your expectations. The XB1 was backwards compatible with 360 games, provided that a compatability patch was issued for the 360 game. If no patch was issued then you couldn't play it.

I haven't seen anyone say that every PS4 game will automatically be compatible with the PS5 and that compatability patches won't be required. So if a patch is required but one doesn't get created / takes a long time to create as it's a niche game, then you're going to be out of luck.

From memory, at the point of PS4 launch, Sony confirmed that backwards compatibility was a problem because of hardware architecture not game design. The different hardware meant that games typically needed to be re-built from PS3 to PS4.

PS4, Slim and Pro all use the same core architecture and already show that the same game can run different configurations. (Duck EBL, Standard PS4 and Enhanced Pro graphics or performance)
Sony made a big deal of the PS4 moving to a common architecture that would allow future games to be backwards compatible on older versions of the platform.

I see the PS5 as being the top end of the Sony gaming tree with developers either being able to run a PS4 emulation on the PS5 hardware or patching game code to allow extra features to be used.

I fear that PSVR may be a strange implementation. In order to retain the backwards compatibility, there must be equivalence across the platforms and that if the game is to continue to work on the older PS4 platforms, then PSVR will need to be available to those platforms and that is where the Elite implementation will fail. I would love to be proven wrong. I have a PSVR gathering dust as I took a punt just before Elite was released that PSVR would be supported. As good as PSVR is, I would love to marry Elite and PSVR. I am very envious of the PC VR gamers.
It’s confirmed that the current psvr headset if fully compatible with the ps5.
I’m of the opinion FD will release a ps5 version of ED and add VR. It all falls into place as the latest update is designed to allow more players to get into the game.

Top Bottom