Playstation 5: Confirmed backwards compatibility

Is the PS5 getting an optical drive for PS4 disks? I heard its SSD for storage but didn't see anything about disks.
Yes in the same article stated optical Drive included... due it it using...
"For example, the next-gen console will still accept physical media; it won’t be a download-only machine."
Thats the important part. he again is not confirming 4kBD drive, not yet... SIE did not go to 4KBD with the PRO...
Given how slow 4K HDTV usage has still been in uptake the upscale to 8k future proofing is a suprise when only Japan is going to have 8K media services and no body else will...

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
"For example, the next-gen console will still accept physical media; it won’t be a download-only machine."
Thats the important part. he again is not confirming 4kBD drive, not yet... SIE did not go to 4KBD with the pro...

Yeh thought I was blind, I hope its a UHD Blu-Ray......

Manage your expectations. The XB1 was backwards compatible with 360 games, provided that a compatability patch was issued for the 360 game. If no patch was issued then you couldn't play it.

I haven't seen anyone say that every PS4 game will automatically be compatible with the PS5 and that compatability patches won't be required. So if a patch is required but one doesn't get created / takes a long time to create as it's a niche game, then you're going to be out of luck.
Since the PS4/PS4 Pro/PS5 all use AMD tech for CPUs/GPUs it will be super easy to support older PS4 games on PS5.

The comparison between the Xbox One and 360 you're making is totally different. While they both use AMD for their GPUs they use totally different CPUs. The Xbox 360 has a three core 3.2 GHz IBM PowerPC CPU. It's not even x86 compatible. So they have to use an emulator to get the games working. Totally different thing.

Since the PS4/PS4 Pro/PS5 all use AMD tech for CPUs/GPUs it will be super easy to support older PS4 games on PS5.

The comparison between the Xbox One and 360 you're making is totally different. While they both use AMD for their GPUs they use totally different CPUs. The Xbox 360 has a three core 3.2 GHz IBM PowerPC CPU. It's not even x86 compatible. So they have to use an emulator to get the games working. Totally different thing.
No it won't be, the CPU and GPU are going to be brand new and LIKE PCs when you release new Hard ware you spend months to years to FIX broken components and some Software is never upgraded and Brakes perminantly on that GPU and OS.. Not only are they adding NEW hardware there will be an new Operating system build thats going to have to run it...
Yes they are going to have to spend Millions doing complaince checks but Even with software or hardware, there Past has Shown a high failure rate and Critical Bugs. can kill a game engine and kill the game...
Driver compliance is an issue even on windows or Linux or mac when some one releases a NEW GPU with out testing every single game, the OLD games can fail... this then requires patches for the new GPU ethier Game or in firmware...
The I9 intell chipsets is still having firmware patches in OSes to fix critical Issues that crash games and applications that no other chipset has because it was NEW...

The AMD APU powering the PS5 will be "custom" that includes custom critical bugs running PS4 software, that are not present on other APUs and thats the issue, trying to force a new chipset that the games never ran on is going to cost SIE lots of money And the user will end up paying for BC even if they don't use it...
Same with VR forcing compliance on new hardware will cost SIE R&D money the User will have to pay that back and if the Break out box is built in this time as was rumoured every user will be paying for that break out box being included in PS5 and SIE will want that R&D money back...

Last edited:
Thats the important part. he again is not confirming 4kBD drive, not yet... SIE did not go to 4KBD with the PRO...
Given how slow 4K HDTV usage has still been in uptake the upscale to 8k future proofing is a suprise when only Japan is going to have 8K media services and no body else will...

I hope we never see 8K. The shading cost of 4K is insane already, and games would have the potential to look SO much better if it weren't for this silly resolution horsepower race. But big horsepower numbers make for easy sales. Kind of reminds me of the Merc/BWM/Audi competition, and just as silly.

The only place where we need more PPI is VR headsets IMHO.

I hope we never see 8K. The shading cost of 4K is insane already, and games would have the potential to look SO much better if it weren't for this silly resolution horsepower race. But big horsepower numbers make for easy sales. Kind of reminds me of the Merc/BWM/Audi competition, and just as silly.

The only place where we need more PPI is VR headsets IMHO.
I think the 8k is a side effect of them aiming for 4K at high frame rates, the HDMI Chipsets have moved on and taking the 6 cent extra loss per unit from the better HDMI chipset is no longer an issue if there releaseing at a loss this time any way...

It'll kill the software side. I've done plenty of non-trivial pixel shaders in my day job and I had to tile my shader calls just because if I tried to execute my shaders in full screen, it would take so long that the operating system would think the GPU hanged and it would reboot the driver. Gfx devs could do amazing volumetric/raymarching effects in games if it weren't for the insane resolution increases that just eat up all the advances in GPU power.

No it won't be, the CPU and GPU are going to be brand new and LIKE PCs when you release new Hard ware you spend months to years to FIX broken components and some Software is never upgraded and Brakes perminantly on that GPU and OS.. Not only are they adding NEW hardware there will be an new Operating system build thats going to have to run it...
Yes they are going to have to spend Millions doing complaince checks but Even with software or hardware, there Past has Shown a high failure rate and Critical Bugs. can kill a game engine and kill the game...
Driver compliance is an issue even on windows or Linux or mac when some one releases a NEW GPU with out testing every single game, the OLD games can fail... this then requires patches for the new GPU ethier Game or in firmware...
The I9 intell chipsets is still having firmware patches in OSes to fix critical Issues that crash games and applications that no other chipset has because it was NEW...

The AMD APU powering the PS5 will be "custom" that includes custom critical bugs running PS4 software, that are not present on other APUs and thats the issue, trying to force a new chipset that the games never ran on is going to cost SIE lots of money And the user will end up paying for BC even if they don't use it...
Same with VR forcing compliance on new hardware will cost SIE R&D money the User will have to pay that back and if the Break out box is built in this time as was rumoured every user will be paying for that break out box being included in PS5 and SIE will want that R&D money back...
We shall see...

I'm certain all PS4 games will run on the PS5.

You're kind of treating this discussion like you have all the answers, but just look at the PS4 Pro and the regular PS4/PS4 Slim - the Pro can run every PS4 game out there. It will be the same with the PS5, it will up the performance once again and run all the previous games. It'll be super easy to get the PS4 operating system running on the PS5 to run PS4 games.

Also the link the OP gives confirm that the PS5 will be fully backwards compatible. The Verge talked to Mark Cerny - they got the info that it will be backwards compatible. They just didn't fully quote him on it.

So we shall see...

We shall see...

You're kind of treating this discussion like you have all the answers, but just look at the PS4 Pro and the regular PS4/PS4 Slim - the Pro can run every PS4 game out there. It will be the same with the PS5, it will up the performance once again and run all the previous games. It'll be super easy to get the PS4 operating system running on the PS5 to run PS4 games.

Also the link the OP gives confirm that the PS5 will be fully backwards compatible. The Verge talked to Mark Cerny - they got the info that it will be backwards compatible. They just didn't fully quote him on it.

So we shall see...
You do know the Pro used the Same CPU with increased clock boost not a Brand new CPU right, the PRO with improved GPU that was double the size of the old GPU but still the OLD GPU just reworked and the PRO has the GPU second half disabled at first to insure that it would run with only the same power to insure compliance with standard PS4 games... boost mode was only added after the release, with new firmware and that all Software to take advantage of the double GPU has to flag the OS to enable that extra power, if the Game does not flag Pro mode the game runs just as standard PS4... With out the cutting of the GPU to half its use, the games crashed as the advanced GPU reached processed data to quickly.. this is what Boost mode fixed...
They never used Brand new CPU or brand new GPU for the PRO. Specificly because of compliance issues... If a GPU runs to faat memory that other tasks are using could be cleared killing the process...

Yes theres lots for SIE to show off but the reasons for the Pro using modified exsisting PS4 CPU and GPU and not NEW, have been done allready when the Pro released..

I suspect the "Elite New Era" will require ps5 to run on it.

Existing players of elite Horizons on the playstation will be able to continue playing elite on the PS5 without any additional cost. Just dont expect the New era to work on the old ps4. This then provides a nice incentive to migrate over to the new platform and receive its benefits which will no doubt include VR support.

I'm definitely confident that my PS5 will run all my PS4 games, at least the ones I care about. If any game I own (and still want to play) breaks on the PS5, it will be ED, because breaking consoles is Frontier's specialty - I've had more blue screens from this one game than the rest of my catalog combined!

I'm definitely confident that my PS5 will run all my PS4 games, at least the ones I care about. If any game I own (and still want to play) breaks on the PS5, it will be ED, because breaking consoles is Frontier's specialty - I've had more blue screens from this one game than the rest of my catalog combined!
No mans sky. my worst crashing game ever...

You do know the Pro used the Same CPU with increased clock boost not a Brand new CPU right, the PRO with improved GPU that was double the size of the old GPU but still the OLD GPU just reworked and the PRO has the GPU second half disabled at first to insure that it would run with only the same power to insure compliance with standard PS4 games... boost mode was only added after the release, with new firmware and that all Software to take advantage of the double GPU has to flag the OS to enable that extra power, if the Game does not flag Pro mode the game runs just as standard PS4... With out the cutting of the GPU to half its use, the games crashed as the advanced GPU reached processed data to quickly.. this is what Boost mode fixed...
They never used Brand new CPU or brand new GPU for the PRO. Specificly because of compliance issues... If a GPU runs to faat memory that other tasks are using could be cleared killing the process...

Yes theres lots for SIE to show off but the reasons for the Pro using modified exsisting PS4 CPU and GPU and not NEW, have been done allready when the Pro released..
The GPU in the Pro version was the most radical change though and they got it to work. The PS4 has the equivalent to a Radeon HD 7850, while the PRO has a downclocked Radeon RX 480.

It's true that they halved the number of CU's on non Pro games, but that's not the only way to fix such an issue. The Xbox One X for instance use supersampling instead - those games even run at a smother frame rate in 1080p on the X then on the regular versions. And the Xbox One X can also play all regular Xbox One games same as for PS4 Pro.

The fact that the PS5 will use a newer CPU doesn't matter for backwards compatibility though. With software the new CPU will simply be identified as the same kind of CPU (only faster). It's still x86 CPU hardware. It will work similarly to how it works on PC hardware, a newer CPU architecture won't break backwards compatibility on a PC now would it.

Also mind you I've never said they won't have to use some kind of software patches for the games to become fully compatible, I've only spoken in general terms that using the same architectures as before will make backwards compatibility possible.

No mans sky. my worst crashing game ever...
Really? I don't remember NMS ever crashing. Doesn't mean it hasn't, but not enough to win it the level of ire I have towards ED in this regards. Then again, it's been close to a year since I've played NMS.

Spider-Man never crashes and has amazing shadows. Sometimes pedestrians stand on top of mail boxes, but this probably happens on occasion IRL - it's New York after all! 🤣

Clearly they aren't - or they would go now.
Yep..
PS5 VR licensing will likely have the same exact Small print as PSVR game licensing does on PS4 Vs PS4 PRO as the same VR headset is going to work on VR on PS5..
if the game runs on PS OG then the game MUST reach a frame rate lock of 60fps in every single instance, that includes when every player sits out side the space station and planets in open and the game has to render every single item at 60fps...

To avoid this rule the game would have to release as PS5 exclusive and only run on PS5 VR headset only...

Top Bottom