Please ADD this in the training section for newbies!!

(I'm not sure if I've already posted something like this here before, so forgive me if I seem to be flogging a dead horse)

The main "Game Killer" and probably the top reason newbies quit and never look back is the unforgiving combat section. A combat section that can, in time, be mastred( So I'm told)
especially if you have online buddies helping you train.

For those who lack the option of having online friends or would rather play solo, I think it would be an awesome idea to add a " free form practice" session where you take no damage during dog fighting just to give you the time to learn how to track moving opponent's correctly, while trying out different forms of maneuvers and testing custom button mappings.

I really think this would improve the quality of life for CONSOLE players and PC players too, the combat is extremely hard to learn by yourself. The learning curve would be much better to navigate and would greatly reduce "rage quiting abandonment"

Everyone agrees the combat training section is awful and helps nobody.

I agree, more advanced combat training would be very welcome. I've been playing the game for years but I would still use it. I haven't used many of the weapons (especially PP weapons) and have no idea how they'd perform.

Training is a total waste of time & imo, dev resources too. Just avoid combat until one has built up sufficient funds - credit farming is hardly a chore in this game with a modicum of judicious research - then simply jump in at the deep end with a small combat ship of your choice & embrace the rebuy; for the record, I have about 30-40 rebuys in total already & as that vastly superior, nay legendary pilot Cmdr Stigbob recently stated, I need to git gud...duly noted, oh great one!

I have been playing for just over two months & ~40 hrs in-game time now, choosing to use a Hotas X with fixed weapons in a hulltank DBS from day one with obvious & wholly predictable early difficulties, but after learning to control my ship & exercising due diligence, NPC combat has already become a bit of a joke!

The last thing the game needs is a focus on the lowest common denominator but unfortunately the powers that be seemingly disagree on that particular issue.

I've spared you the first few mins wearing down the bullet-sponge shields.

Source: https://youtu.be/FLv9WdZkoKA

I agree that the new player needs more information and more training. What i disagree upon is more tutorial, though. The sad truth is, you can have all the best tutorials and perfect training, most present day playes will not use them. A very high percentage of all players skip any tutorial, no matter which game it is.

Reasons for that are diverse. Some go like "I don't want to learn, i want to play" and thus rather hit start. Others are used to the handholding of other games, which take your hand and guide you to success, while failing (at least early in the game) often requires actual and directed effort. Some are just convinced to be gods gift to the gaming community and believe that they are proficient in any game they start. And if they fail, they of course conclude that the game is flawed and should be discarded off. And any of them just haven't been around in the old days, where we still knew that if a game had a tutorial, we better spent some time there, else the game would punish us for lack of knowledge.

And this is just a small first collection of why people skip tutorials. In the end, why they skip is irrelevant. What matters is, that they do. Any upgrade to the tutorials won't help too much, thus.

What the game really needs is much more in-game help, best context sensitive. I could write an essay about it now, but why should i, if there's a good video about it?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFdEEzgc7pg

Luckily the next patch again is supposed to improve on the new player experience. We'll see how far they got. Due to the complexity of ED, they sure can't cover all the bases, but things might indeed improve for the new player.

And that all being said, i also think that the core of the OP, some "free form practice" option, would be nice to have. But i guess it should better also be disguised as gameplay of some sort. If it isn't, it will just again be skipped.

The last thing the game needs is a focus on the lowest common denominator but unfortunately the powers that be seemingly disagree on that particular issue.

Wrong. Retaining and attracting players is the most important thing. Literally the one thing keeping this game alive. Take your elitism and shove it.

Introductory material, tutorials etc. are a good thing. From a game design POV, Elite is so horrible in so many ways, especially when it comes to learning it. Having bloody video tutorials is a massive monument to failure. A well designed game has everything discoverable withing the game. Zero external information sources required.

I think everyone would benefit from some sort of "test ship build" range at least. Like I wasn't prepared for how scattery Cytoscramblers are, and it'd let you catch obvious oversights in your build, like running SCBs without heat sinks or something.

I went back and played the first two combat lessons again. First one is very easy for a vet, but a complete noob will find it challenging. The second one is relatively easy for a vet, but will chop a noob to bits.

The advanced combat scenarios are much harder, and noobs shouldn't even try them (pretty sure both these and the second lesson above have warnings that pilots should have started their career prior to running these).

I would think a gradual ramp up of combat training with more levels would be most beneficial for new commanders.

I'd be really interested to see FD's implementation of training for each weapon type...

It would be intriguing to see how they expect, and designed them to be used, especially mines and torpedoes.

Top Bottom