Please boost the jump range on the Keelback by about 5ly.

In my ideal world, every ship would have some niche they could fill, even at the very endgame. Something, even a small thing, that they do best among all ships.

The Keelback is pretty obviously a mobile fighter carrier. If you want to fly somewhere and fly fighters and NOTHING else, the Keelback should be there for you.

Unfortunately, the Krait Mk2 currently does the exact same thing, only better in every way. Identical jump ranges, larger class fighter bay, all other stats superior.

So it would be nice if the Keelback got about 5ly better jump range. That would put a Keelback set up exclusively for fighter deployment as clearly the best choice in this particular scenario. The Krait would still be a much better all-purpose ship, or for straight combat, but it would leave the Keelback with a niche too, if you wanted to jump somewhere and just fly the fighter around.

I don't think this would break anything about the Keelback either, or make it excessively powerful during its main time of use, so I can't see much potential harm in this. And I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Last edited:
11235978-4197-4D5B-A15E-AE9D93380ADB.jpeg

My gorgeous Keelback the Infant Heracles gets a decent range G4 engineered, even laden with military bulkheads and a fighter hangar, or cargo, or a stack of HRPs; I believe the current outfitting is mostly cargo racks for running missions but the ‘laden’ jump range is a decent indication and still sufficient for Bubble wandering. It’s not as nimble or as beefy as the Crusader I’ve recently added to my flotilla, but it’s still the heart of it whether I want to explore, fight or trade.

EDIT to add I could afford the Kraft but I still flew head-first into the Ackwada CG in the Keelie, in Open too briefly. It might not be the best in any class but she feels like a proper spaceship and I love her to bits (especially the bits that are left when I fail to dodge a gank...)

Last edited:
And unless I’m mistaken in my memory (a distinct possibility) she runs cool as a cucumber when fit and engineered, so scooping isn’t an issue for me if I need her to take me the distance. I appreciate we’re both just sharing opinions now and that’s worth a big fat nothing really, but I love my Keelback just the way she is, o7 CMDR!

I remember taking my Keelback the first time into the burning station at Cemiess and like a fool I neglected to carry heatsinks. Got thoroughly confused by the overheat alarms, the flames and heat and finally limped out of there with 30% hull left.

Very tough little ship and incredibly flexible. Not the best in anything but if you're walking into a situation and don't know what to expect she's my first pick.

Two thumbs up for an extra 5ly! 👍

Have you tried engineering it, or the guardian fsd booster? You'll easily get the 5ly extra then
The trouble is, all of these things can also be applied equally to the krait.

This buff would give it only about 1 light-years jump range more than the type-6, moving it from approximately middle of the pack to the top third. Not overpowered by any means, just enough jump range to get around the bubble quickly, and deploy Fighters when you get there.

Last edited:
The trouble is, all of these things can also be applied equally to the krait.

This buff would give it only about 1 light-years jump range more than the type-6, moving it from approximately middle of the pack to the top third. Not overpowered by any means, just enough jump range to get around the bubble quickly, and deploy Fighters when you get there.
Which is one light year too much. As the heavier, more armoured cousin of the Type 6, the Keelback's jump range should always be less than the T6.

Which is one light year too much. As the heavier, more armoured cousin of the Type 6, the Keelback's jump range should always be less than the T6.

It's the military grade variant, made for enhanced tactical ability at the cost of raw storage capacity. Give it the same armor they put on the Anaconda, that aughta do it.

Plus it'll make it a nice rare good trader. Less cargo, longer jump range, more expensive, it all seems just fine to me.

Well it's a very small niche. Like how the Imperial Eagle is the fastest ship. Being the longest-jumping medium ship with a fighter bay is, likewise, a small niche. But one that could be worth building!
Ha, a nice one. I do have an exploration Krait mk.II as its jump range is acceptable AND it has SLF. Both the ship itself and SLF are fun to fly. My exploraconda too has SLFs on board and for long trips I use it in spite of its SC whale-like sluggishness.

So, if KB would have a longer jump range and retain its SLF capability, I'd probably switch to it. Also, Krait mk.II would stay a very decent explorer, not to mention its other very good sides. Keelback would be a pretty sight among the stars.

Ha, a nice one. I do have an exploration Krait mk.II as its jump range is acceptable AND it has SLF. Both the ship itself and SLF are fun to fly. My exploraconda too has SLFs on board and for long trips I use it in spite of its SC whale-like sluggishness.

So, if KB would have a longer jump range and retain its SLF capability, I'd probably switch to it. Also, Krait mk.II would stay a very decent explorer, not to mention its other very good sides. Keelback would be a pretty sight among the stars.

Isn’t the Krait much more ‘spensive than the Keelie? It doesn’t have those snazzy rotating thrusters either...

Top Bottom