Please don't lock huge capital/carrier ships to only groups.

You can help out your faction just by handing bounties and exploration data in at a station it owns.

Thank you, yes, but exploration is only surpassed in sheer joy by putting the barrel of a gun in ones mouth and pulling the trigger.

And in the system the faction is in there is squat to do. No good mats to be found, no CNB to fight at. The res sites are full of competent and master fighters which does nothing for my XP points as a 32% deadly in combat fighter.

I don't know if FD designates the system and station for player factions or if someone in the group chose it, but it sucks, big time sucks.

Thank you, yes, but exploration is only surpassed in sheer joy by putting the barrel of a gun in ones mouth and pulling the trigger.

And in the system the faction is in there is squat to do. No good mats to be found, no CNB to fight at. The res sites are full of competent and master fighters which does nothing for my XP points as a 32% deadly in combat fighter.

I don't know if FD designates the system and station for player factions or if someone in the group chose it, but it sucks, big time sucks.

Sounds like you have upset someone within FD! You do realise they can tweak the RND against specific Commanders to ensure they and only they don't get the missions they are after, ensure their faction is in a dead zone, purposely made all other activities totally mundane just for you. If I was you I would go back and check your posting history to see if you were overly critical or something - you may have made the dreaded BLACK LIST …… ;)

I don't see why we cannot just have a small base on a planet somewhere, it should be simple for FD to just put a small base with hangar for a player somewhere.

Let the player decide the system, and pay however much money for whatever base size they want, and plant it there.

Then you could move your ships there, and all your stored items, etc...

And since you chose your own system you could go fight at the local CNB or res site you love. Take the passenger/cargo missions you love, and just kick back at home in the base named after you.

Sounds like you have upset someone within FD! You do realise they can tweak the RND against specific Commanders to ensure they and only they don't get the missions they are after, ensure their faction is in a dead zone, purposely made all other activities totally mundane just for you. If I was you I would go back and check your posting history to see if you were overly critical or something - you may have made the dreaded BLACK LIST …… ;)

LOL, I have probably pee'd them off, but there are still good missions for me, just not as often as I like.

Would FD really do something like that to a paying customer?

I do not know if the UK has freedom of speech or not.

I hope they add NPC pirate carriers as mission targets. Mission: take out pirate carrier.

Be careful what you wish for, for it may be granted.

Mission: Assassination
Eliminate 76 Pirate carriers

reward (pick one):
- 783k, REP ++
- 67 units of Basic Medicines, REP ++, INF ++
- REP +++, INF +++

Being solitary, anti-social, casual player I see carriers as another feature I won't use or benefit from. Can't afford to properly outfit 3 hips I want, not to mention getting a carrier. IRL limitations, boredom-inducing design and low reward level compared to effort put doesn't bode well for me in terms of having such a marvel. I'd be happy to see one when they finally arrive.

However, later on this year if II can buy a Farragut, or another large ship with my savings and do what I want to, when I want to, I might actually fall in love with ED again.

I'd love to be excited about ED again.

My main anger with FD and ED are that there is little I can do for my player faction I am a member of.

I loved ED more than any other game I'd ever played, until I discovered their nerf hammer and unfixed bugs, and what I saw from making my own bug reports.

Now I hate the game, and just want to finish up my last 68% in combat to become triple elite.

Sorry for being offtopic, but I can't resist after reading about your feelings in several threads.

Aaron T, you clearly lost relation. Way too much "love" and "hate" and "anger" and other strong feelings.

Come back to earth and don't forget, its just a game. Its not religion, beloved family or heaven, it is only a game. You may like it, you may play it or not, or dislike it, but don't overstate. Its not good for health.

What's the point of having a fleet carrier that can only move one ship around. But instead of you moving your one ship in 10 minutes, it will take you days with all the material gathering and could cost you credits.

Just to move one ship. I don't see the reasoning behind it and why anyone would want such a thing.

A personal base somewhere, yes I can see that, but a fleet carrier for one of your ships. What's the point.
The carrier is effectively a mobile base, the utility for explorers (inc. Solo one's) is measurable - Rearm, Repair, Refuel are at least three of the features FD have declared the carriers to be able to have. The Repair one is the big one for explorers with Rearm coming a close second. Even with AFMUs and Repair Drones there are some things an explorer could not repair on their ships (the PP for example). Synthesis has it's limits too.

It will be squads only, because the profitability comes from competition and co-operation. The COD effect. Nobody stops to think about how the game has never really changed since MW2 same with Elite. It's really been mostly the same since horizons with a few cosmetics and missons here and there, but people still play because of the reasons given in south park.

Not dissing, its a fact. There is no way they are going to commit that much server space to one player without some sort of payment or recommend a friend strategy, which is what the carriers or heres hoping planetary bases would be used for.

Sorry for being offtopic, but I can't resist after reading about your feelings in several threads.

Aaron T, you clearly lost relation. Way too much "love" and "hate" and "anger" and other strong feelings.

Come back to earth and don't forget, its just a game. Its not religion, beloved family or heaven, it is only a game. You may like it, you may play it or not, or dislike it, but don't overstate. Its not good for health.

So true, thank you.

It will be squads only, because the profitability comes from competition and co-operation. The COD effect. Nobody stops to think about how the game has never really changed since MW2 same with Elite. It's really been mostly the same since horizons with a few cosmetics and missons here and there, but people still play because of the reasons given in south park.

Not dissing, its a fact. There is no way they are going to commit that much server space to one player without some sort of payment or recommend a friend strategy, which is what the carriers or heres hoping planetary bases would be used for.
I think you may have false impressions about the level of impact a Fleet Carrier might have on server space. Our player accounts would probably occupy significantly more server space than a Fleet Carrier might.

I'm pretty certain that player groups can exist with a population of 1. That goes for having a minor faction too. I don't see why it'd be any different for Squadron stuff, but then...consistency is a concern lately....

Has it actually been confirmed (or even strongly hinted) that these Squadron ships will be under direct player control? If not, all of this is rather pointless, and will just encourage others to speculate even more.

Has it actually been confirmed (or even strongly hinted) that these Squadron ships will be under direct player control? If not, all of this is rather pointless, and will just encourage others to speculate even more.

I tend to think these will be an offshoot of the megaship, with the ability to designate next jump location periodically and have accessible docking pads with limited facilities. Folks have some dream of a pilotable farragut or majestic class interdictor like capital ship spewing dozens of fighters and mediums ships like some sort of angry space pinata and I reckon everyone is probably forgetting that Frontier build the game.

Folks are (as usual) are going massively off the reservation because there's scant detail. This is Frontier; what can we reasonably expect. I think something like a mega-ship that relocates periodically is the most likely outcome here. Something we do not own, but have to jump through n hurdles and mechanics to gain access. Possibly with a requirement to maintain n hurdles per week to keep access. Because folks just love that decay.

As for being able to dispatch one (and by proxy, oneself) across the galaxy? hahahaha okay Jaques Station should tell you that is just not gonna work out and is highly unlikely. The overhead of frontier managing endless moves is not even sane to ponder.

It's Frontier; I like 'em? But it helps at times to curb your enthusiasm a bit to consider what is probable, versus not. So I'm going to see what they decide this will look like, first. Getting stressed about factors that aren't even know yet, seems like a recipe for an ulcer. I'll elect to opt out of that. ;)

Last edited:
Personally I would park 3 Ships there and just move it to the Thargoid attack places

How are you gonna get three ships on it if it has no shipyard?

The carrier is effectively a mobile base, the utility for explorers (inc. Solo one's) is measurable - Rearm, Repair, Refuel are at least three of the features FD have declared the carriers to be able to have. The Repair one is the big one for explorers with Rearm coming a close second. Even with AFMUs and Repair Drones there are some things an explorer could not repair on their ships (the PP for example). Synthesis has it's limits too.

For a group of explorers yes I can see the benefit. But for one person, not needed in the slightest.

I just want my own home, and would rather have my own planetary hangar and storage-Tirrell's Dream.

But a Farragut or even his big brother would be a dream too.

I tend to think these will be an offshoot of the megaship, with the ability to designate next jump location periodically and have accessible docking pads with limited facilities. Folks have some dream of a pilotable farragut or majestic class interdictor like capital ship spewing dozens of fighters and mediums ships like some sort of angry space pinata and I reckon everyone is probably forgetting that Frontier build the game.

Folks are (as usual) are going massively off the reservation because there's scant detail. This is Frontier; what can we reasonably expect. I think something like a mega-ship that relocates periodically is the most likely outcome here. Something we do not own, but have to jump through n hurdles and mechanics to gain access. Possibly with a requirement to maintain n hurdles per week to keep access. Because folks just love that decay.

As for being able to dispatch one (and by proxy, oneself) across the galaxy? hahahaha okay Jaques Station should tell you that is just not gonna work out and is highly unlikely. The overhead of frontier managing endless moves is not even sane to ponder.

It's Frontier; I like 'em? But it helps at times to curb your enthusiasm a bit to consider what is probable, versus not. So I'm going to see what they decide this will look like, first. Getting stressed about factors that aren't even know yet, seems like a recipe for an ulcer. I'll elect to opt out of that. ;)

Thanks, that has been my impression as well that these carriers will just be like a small outpost, but movable. As for the moving part, I would envisage the 'carrier' would move once per server tick (which is a week isn't it?) with a maximum jump range and to a destination hopefully nominated by those who own it.

The entire notion of one person sitting at the helm weaving this massive ship through some CZ blowing away everyone in his/her/it's path with gay abandon goes against everything FD have done previously. That is why we will never see player owned stations, even play owned posts, it just doesn't fit into the FD playbook.

If FDev are prepared to do the work needed to implement carriers, it's in their own interests to get the maximum return on that effort. And hopefully that should mean bringing out a range of carriers with different sizes and prices.

There isn't any reason why a small personal carrier, capable of holding only a limited number of ships, should be a "megaship". And a carrier of this sort would only exist in the owner's instance and would disappear when he logs out, like any other ship. No extra server overheads at all.

Top Bottom