Please don't lock huge capital/carrier ships to only groups.

If FDev are prepared to do the work needed to implement carriers, it's in their own interests to get the maximum return on that effort. And hopefully that should mean bringing out a range of carriers with different sizes and prices.

There isn't any reason why a small personal carrier, capable of holding only a limited number of ships, should be a "megaship". And a carrier of this sort would only exist in the owner's instance and would disappear when he logs out, like any other ship. No extra server overheads at all.

Exactly.

Has it actually been confirmed (or even strongly hinted) that these Squadron ships will be under direct player control? If not, all of this is rather pointless, and will just encourage others to speculate even more.

No direct player control IIRC.

They said executive control, so go to system x is probably as hands on as it'll get. I doubt you'll be able to park them outside someone else's station letterbox.

If FDev are prepared to do the work needed to implement carriers, it's in their own interests to get the maximum return on that effort. And hopefully that should mean bringing out a range of carriers with different sizes and prices.

There isn't any reason why a small personal carrier, capable of holding only a limited number of ships, should be a "megaship". And a carrier of this sort would only exist in the owner's instance and would disappear when he logs out, like any other ship. No extra server overheads at all.

Wouldn't that be anything with a fighter bay ?.

What's the point of having a fleet carrier that can only move one ship around. But instead of you moving your one ship in 10 minutes, it will take you days with all the material gathering and could cost you credits.

Just to move one ship. I don't see the reasoning behind it and why anyone would want such a thing.

A personal base somewhere, yes I can see that, but a fleet carrier for one of your ships. What's the point.

It encourages player interaction,who knows what game play could come from it,but it certainly opens the door to a new way to play ed.
As a method to explore in a group would be something I'd be interested in. The ability to follow your group around the galaxy with a base of operations,dedicated haulers to deliver data back to the bubble and return with resources and the odd crate of Lavian brandy.
I see a lot of potential with fleet carriers.

Last edited:
It encourages player interaction,who knows what game play could come from it,but it certainly opens the door to a new way to play ed.
As a method to explore in a group would be something I'd be interested in. The ability to follow your group around the galaxy with a base of operations,dedicated haulers to deliver data back to the bubble and return with resources and the odd crate of Lavian brandy.
I see a lot of potential with fleet carriers.

The thread is about wanting sinlge commanders owning a fleet carrier all for him/herself. I have no idea how that encourages player interaction.

I think what will happen when Carriers drop, is that via Reddit/Forums dedicated Solo players will band together briefly to complete whatever task is required to create a carrier, then all go back to playing solo again.

I solo players will all suddenly buy a 2nd account, use that to meet whatever Carrier requirements are and then go back to solo.

If there us something available, then cunning players will work out how to get it, followed bya few videos from Content Creators explaining how to do it ;-)

I don't see why we cannot just have a small base on a planet somewhere, it should be simple for FD to just put a small base with hangar for a player somewhere.

Let the player decide the system, and pay however much money for whatever base size they want, and plant it there.

Then you could move your ships there, and all your stored items, etc...

And since you chose your own system you could go fight at the local CNB or res site you love. Take the passenger/cargo missions you love, and just kick back at home in the base named after you.

That's my thinking too. I would love to see the game advance towards building you're own complex on a planet of you choosing. Collecting the materials or having friends deliver them to your complex, allowing it to grow to whatever size you required. You would then be able to produce/manufacture your own materials to sell in your commodity market.

I think what will happen when Carriers drop, is that via Reddit/Forums dedicated Solo players will band together briefly to complete whatever task is required to create a carrier, then all go back to playing solo again.

I solo players will all suddenly buy a 2nd account, use that to meet whatever Carrier requirements are and then go back to solo.

If there us something available, then cunning players will work out how to get it, followed bya few videos from Content Creators explaining how to do it ;-)

I suppose it depends on how practical gathering carrier jump mats/repair mats/whatever is on your own.

I'm afraid, carriers wont be as cool as many of us imagine. I hope i'm wrong, but to me it looks like that carriers will need a huge amount of materials to jump. That would be a massive grind for a single player.
And if these carriers will really be limited (artificially) to one ship per CMDR, it would be really pointless - Where was that mentioned btw? I read that fact in this thread for the first time.

That would make this forum, even less attractive than it is now, to log into......

...,It's already 99.9% full of crap now. Imagine all the '..please join my gang, so I can have a carrier....' threads, jumping up all the time.....those poor mods.....yeah right!;)

There are many players, myself included who cannot play at a certain time, regular times, due to work, health, etc, and it makes it near impossible for us to be part of a group.

I am a member of a player faction, but rarely get to meet up with anyone to do stuff for the faction.

Locking huge carriers to groups, or a huge ship, etc, in my view will lead to a person putting in a billion credits, or whatever much, and many many hours into it then find that no one in the group wants to go to the same place, and quickly tire of it, and just continue doing what they want to do.

I myself hardly play since the 6/28 update as the mission/passenger boards are in disarray, and the only thing I enjoy in small amounts is slowly finishing my combat rank to elite.

However, later on this year if II can buy a Farragut, or another large ship with my savings and do what I want to, when I want to, I might actually fall in love with ED again.

I'd love to be excited about ED again.

200 billion credits to purchase it however. ;)

if anyone can have them, and they do operate like the current rescue ship, can you imagine the scene at a CG? there'll be thousands of em parked in the system!

I think you may have false impressions about the level of impact a Fleet Carrier might have on server space. Our player accounts would probably occupy significantly more server space than a Fleet Carrier might.

excuse the lingo disparity, I only think that with the amount of personal maintenance there carriers will require in game it is unlikely that the resources to maintain each and everyone will be alocated to individual players.

Just another slice in the death of a thousand cut's for solo play.

I don't really see what a single player would get out of a fleet carrier other than,"look at my fleet carrier!".
In fact to make it viable for single player you would need to reduce the costs dramatically. This would effect the feeling of achievement that a group would get.

For a group of explorers yes I can see the benefit. But for one person, not needed in the slightest.
I disagree - as I have explained there are some repair and resupply issues that can only be done (currently) while docked somewhere which means an individual who wants to explore outside the bubbles for protracted periods would be able to do so almost indefinitely (cash allowing presumably - repairs/rearms are unlikely to be free).

If you use the "not needed" argument against solo players, then the same could be used against groups too. Ultimately, there is no difference if we are talking about a single individual or 100 people - the same argument could be legitimately used.

The natural limitation of the carriers in the exploration context would be that any exploration data or cargo gathered would notionally not be either stored or turned-in there. As a respawn point, that could save an individual ALOT of time if they are exploring a remote region for example.

So...it'll encourage people to come and work together for each other's benefit?

I'm sorry, is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Of course people will go back to doing whatever they want to after accomplishing a goal, why is that somehow unexpected or a bad thing?

I disagree - as I have explained there are some repair and resupply issues that can only be done (currently) while docked somewhere which means an individual who wants to explore outside the bubbles for protracted periods would be able to do so almost indefinitely (cash allowing presumably - repairs/rearms are unlikely to be free).

If you use the "not needed" argument against solo players, then the same could be used against groups too. Ultimately, there is no difference if we are talking about a single individual or 100 people - the same argument could be legitimately used.

The natural limitation of the carriers in the exploration context would be that any exploration data or cargo gathered would notionally not be either stored or turned-in there. As a respawn point, that could save an individual ALOT of time if they are exploring a remote region for example.

But you are assuming these fleet carriers can be piloted by a single Commander just like any other ship. I have not read anything to confirm that, in fact the only information I have read from FD is that it will have landing pads, and you can refuel/rearm/repair on them - that is it.

I want a huge ship, not necessarily a carrier.
Panther Clipper?

Personally, I am just hoping for fleet carriers to be just be mobile bases of a limited sort.

There is this thread in the Focused Feedback section essentially mentioning FD has ruled out solo players owning carriers.

I would say providing a "squadron" is the registered owner of the carrier then it should not matter what the population size of the squadron is. The key discriminator there being that the player will not actually own the asset themselves.

GW1 allowed smaller guilds (even just guilds of 1) to own their own guild halls which arguably is what the Fleet Carriers can roughly be equated to.

Top Bottom