Please don't lock huge capital/carrier ships to only groups.

Some people just aren't "Joiners". Myself included. My type just isn;t going to join up and accept that to see content we paid for, we have to suffer the whims of other players. Tthe point being, allowing a lone wolf player to enjoy all the content they are interested in, has no effect on those that do like to join up and be a part of a group. It's just a punitive concept to exclude players from content to prop up another aspect of the game. We are all supposed to play as we wish. These Carriers should be no different. After all, solo players can complete Wing Missions. Carry this through to it's logical end. Anyone willing to do the work, put in the effort, should be able to gain the reward.

Its not about that. Its about making the multiplayer part of this game work.

You want to have multiplayer assets. You do multiplayer things.

Giving the single player every aspect of the game really hurts group gameplay. Because you dont need to be in a group to experience that content.

Its a major problem in all corners of elite dangerous. Not just these carriers.
Fleet Carriers being available to solo players and smaller groups does not preclude aspects of the carriers being useful (perhaps more so) for groups.

I disagree with the anti-single-player/anti-smaller-group sentiment that blatantly under pins your response to Yokoshima. It is that kind of mentality that ruins MMOs in general.

Its not about that. Its about making the multiplayer part of this game work.

You want to have multiplayer assets. You do multiplayer things.

Giving the single player every aspect of the game really hurts group gameplay. Because you dont need to be in a group to experience that content.

Its a major problem in all corners of elite dangerous. Not just these carriers.

All this kind of thinking will get you are player groups with all stuff unlocked that people join just so they can get the content they wanted, and then proceed to play on their own anyway with minimal involvement.

Locking content from single players will not hurt groups. Forcing people to be in groups when they don't want to, will hurt.

All this kind of thinking will get you are player groups with all stuff unlocked that people join just so they can get the content they wanted, and then proceed to play on their own anyway with minimal involvement.

Locking content from single players will not hurt groups. Forcing people to be in groups when they don't want to, will hurt.

Who says it won't hurt?
Fd have already proposed that carriers would be visible to all players in all modes.

Go to Founders World and see 2000 Carriers on the Nav panel, now try and find your destination.

Some people just aren't "Joiners". Myself included. My type just isn;t going to join up and accept that to see content we paid for, we have to suffer the whims of other players. Tthe point being, allowing a lone wolf player to enjoy all the content they are interested in, has no effect on those that do like to join up and be a part of a group. It's just a punitive concept to exclude players from content to prop up another aspect of the game. We are all supposed to play as we wish. These Carriers should be no different. After all, solo players can complete Wing Missions. Carry this through to it's logical end. Anyone willing to do the work, put in the effort, should be able to gain the reward.

Well said!

Single players should be able to earn a means of transporting their personal fleet of ships. It would also encourage us to own a greater variety of ships if we could fly them straight away, without the current cost and delay involved in moving individual ships around.

Who says it won't hurt?
Fd have already proposed that carriers would be visible to all players in all modes.

Go to Founders World and see 2000 Carriers on the Nav panel, now try and find your destination.
You are assuming they would necessarily be visible to you and that you have 2000 players in your given instance.

Well said!

Single players should be able to earn a means of transporting their personal fleet of ships. It would also encourage us to own a greater variety of ships if we could fly them straight away, without the current cost and delay involved in moving individual ships around.
I doubt the Fleet Carriers when they eventually get released will act as a personal fleet "garage" in any ship or form.

Honestly this reminds me of the stuff going on in Kingdom of Loathing with the clan halls, with various clans advertising "we have X, Y, and Z asset" to encourage people to join, like the things that gave you extra turns per day as a passive bonus. And people joined just to get the stuff, rather than to actually take part in any kind of clan activities.

I ended up just setting up a one-person "clan" and buying those things instead since I had no interest in the clan dungeon raids.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: mmm
Who says it won't hurt?

A simple UI problem, easily solvable with a little effort. Sort and search functions have existed in innumerable forms for how many years now? C'mon.

Nav panel UI could use improvement anyhow.

Personally I don't see the point of making all carriers visible to all players all the time anyway.

Honestly this reminds me of the stuff going on in Kingdom of Loathing with the clan halls, with various clans advertising "we have X, Y, and Z asset" to encourage people to join, like the things that gave you extra turns per day as a passive bonus. And people joined just to get the stuff, rather than to actually take part in any kind of clan activities.

I ended up just setting up a one-person "clan" and buying those things instead since I had no interest in the clan dungeon raids.

Yup, same stuff goes on in Warframe.

Of course a lot of this thread is assuming that a carrier would have any sort of benefit for a single player, which...

If they don't have a shipyard to let you store multiple ships on board, then unless it's got a megaship-like jump range and you plan on taking the thing to the anaconda graveyard as a way of getting out again, I'm not seeing it.

I'd rather besides have fleet carriers for groups then later on the carriers or megaships be npc-run and can be "generated" for the cmdr to meet up with in a persistent mission until the mission or campaign involving the npc-megaship is finished. With future involved spacelegs and npc mechanics, this could include docking with the ship and having a quarters on board and crew function for the mission which could be in stages.

Of course a lot of this thread is assuming that a carrier would have any sort of benefit for a single player, which...

If they don't have a shipyard to let you store multiple ships on board, then unless it's got a megaship-like jump range and you plan on taking the thing to the anaconda graveyard as a way of getting out again, I'm not seeing it.
This has been discussed before in this very thread, Fleet Carriers could be considered effectively a player owned mobile/locatable outpost (just not with all the facilities of an NPC outpost and probably without the Medium pad limitation).

It is not for any one of us to say that such a facility would be of no utility to any given single/solo player or small group.

Lestat

Banned
I have to agree with the Op. I tend to play odd hours also. I should not be punished because I work odd hours.

Personally I wouldn't mind having a mini-carrier, say one that can carry a Sidey or two. Explorer groups would love it. Having a Sidey hangar has become a standing joke in explorer threads but you can bet a lot of people would jump to get one.

If all fleet carriers are, are a mobile dock, which worse still the squadron have to grind-loop-repeat to move/upgrade, then I'll be very disappointed.

Ie: If fleet carriers don't create new interesting gameplay, or bind into other mechanics to make interesting outcomes, then what's the point?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...meplay-(-amp-allow-multi-squadron-membership)

It would fit perfectly into FDs logic to have a huge carrier which holds hundrets of ships for squadron members, but a single player could only dock one ship. The fact that we discuss such things alone is ludicrous.

I respectfully disagree.
Buying and maintaining these huge fleet carriers should not be within the means of a single player.
The ease with which we can currently acquire expensive ships like the cutter and anaconda and corvette is already pushing it.

I have no stake in this.
I am a soloist myself, I will never do multiplayer, as a result I too should not be able to purchase and maintain a fleetcarrier.

I understood FDev was thinking about implementing a group based mechanic that is needed to enable the carrier to travel. If so then a solo player will not be able to effectively use a carrier.

I already think that flying larger ships without a minimum crew requirement is wrong.
In Elite II the python could not even take off without 7 crew on board. The Anaconda demanded 10, and the Panther had 15 crew.
I want that npc crew system back in the current game.

A carrier should definitely not be flyable by a single person.

I sort of agree .... I think. However from a gameplay sense, I actually do not see the harm, I mean it is only a single person. However Squadron's ability to organise players, along with fleet carrier jump capability may have the unwanted consquence of driving BGS, Powerplay (particularly if it goes open only) and other content into the hands of large groups only.

The ability to move 100s of commanders around, and organise them in itself is going to have an impact on the game, arguably even solo players that have a preferred home system may be impacted by this. This is my big concern about carriers. Squadrons seems OK to me as the services implemented are already implemented in out of game services.

Simon

Top Bottom