Please help , constant game crashes due to "d3d device being lost" with unreal engine crashdump

Hello , I have bought the game on steam and upon trying to play it I endlessly encounter crashdumps with a message something along the line of this:
F1managercrash.jpg

I had sent the crash dump in but I wasn't able to find any kind of solution or information regarding it.
I have no other games crashing or bringing me any problems.
I have tried to uninstall the game and then install it on a different hard drive and also I had tried to uninstall my GPU drivers with DDU (display drive uninstaller) for a more cleaner installation and then reinstall them. None of that helped me. The crashes happen during any point in the game ( in menues , during a race , during contract offers etc) seemingly completely random.
The game continues to run but its unresponsive.

If it helps my computer specs are roughly :
Ryzen 3600x , EVGA 2060 SUPER
1tb NVME Western Digital Black ( where the game was installed originally) + 1tb SSD (tried installing the game there same result) , Corsair CX650m power supply.

Have no issues that I am aware of in any other games for instance games like World of Tanks , PUBG , football manager etc all run smooth no Problems.
Please give me any kind of relevant feedback what the issue is and how to fix if possible.

I don't want to be a bearer of bad news (plus I can always be wrong, of course) but the 0x887A0005 error is a GPU hardware error.
It could be the game's fault in a sense that it stresses the GPU in ways other games don't. Typically it would be memory or power delivery.

I'd recommend doing a thorough GPU stress test to see if you can replicate the error there.
It's not unusual that GPUs die slowly and sneakily and it can still be good for most of the stuff.

You can try other stuff, of course. Lowering the game's graphics settings (you can force them via the nVidia Control panel -> Manage 3D settings), installing older, proven GPU drivers,...
I'd also check (and potentially switch) GPU power cables and try a different PCIe slot if your MB has multiple.

That's kind of what I would do first.
If you have a good friend who would let you borrow their GPU, that would also be a great way to test whether the problem lies with it or somewhere else.

I don't want to be a bearer of bad news (plus I can always be wrong, of course) but the 0x887A0005 error is a GPU hardware error.
It could be the game's fault in a sense that it stresses the GPU in ways other games don't. Typically it would be memory or power delivery.

I'd recommend doing a thorough GPU stress test to see if you can replicate the error there.
It's not unusual that GPUs die slowly and sneakily and it can still be good for most of the stuff.

You can try other stuff, of course. Lowering the game's graphics settings (you can force them via the nVidia Control panel -> Manage 3D settings), installing older, proven GPU drivers,...
I'd also check (and potentially switch) GPU power cables and try a different PCIe slot if your MB has multiple.

That's kind of what I would do first.
If you have a good friend who would let you borrow their GPU, that would also be a great way to test whether the problem lies with it or somewhere else.
Lad thanks for cutting to the chase with me.
Indeed my first reaction and instinct was that the problem is GPU related.
I have had a hickup or two with this card for instance in hearthstone one time I had what was seemingly artifacts.
But this turned out to be a one off issue and I do not see it on a consistent basis. The card , as far as I am still aware is still under manufacturer warranty from EVGA.
I ran the card before in Furmark and it did not crash. To me its not new that a GPU crashes (had the situation a multitude of time and quite experienced at it) for instance my 670 was artifacting in bios. But from my experience if a card is dead or dying the problems show themselves somehow in furmark and this was not the case and also they tend to show themselves in more demanding titles (for instance PUBG). The game crashed even in the menus with no stress on the gpu. After I did some suggestions that I saw from a lad's youtube video I found (I switched to directx11 , removed the saved games folder , ran the game as administrator etc) I was able to run the game yesterday for 5 hours without a crash. I don't know if the crash would return and if it does i'll investigate the prospect of it being a GPU issue further , but for now do you have any other idea what the crash could be? Reinstalling my GPU drivers with DDU didn't solve the issue.

Lad thanks for cutting to the chase with me.
Indeed my first reaction and instinct was that the problem is GPU related.
I have had a hickup or two with this card for instance in hearthstone one time I had what was seemingly artifacts.
But this turned out to be a one off issue and I do not see it on a consistent basis. The card , as far as I am still aware is still under manufacturer warranty from EVGA.
I ran the card before in Furmark and it did not crash. To me its not new that a GPU crashes (had the situation a multitude of time and quite experienced at it) for instance my 670 was artifacting in bios. But from my experience if a card is dead or dying the problems show themselves somehow in furmark and this was not the case and also they tend to show themselves in more demanding titles (for instance PUBG). The game crashed even in the menus with no stress on the gpu. After I did some suggestions that I saw from a lad's youtube video I found (I switched to directx11 , removed the saved games folder , ran the game as administrator etc) I was able to run the game yesterday for 5 hours without a crash. I don't know if the crash would return and if it does i'll investigate the prospect of it being a GPU issue further , but for now do you have any other idea what the crash could be? Reinstalling my GPU drivers with DDU didn't solve the issue.
Hey, I'm glad you've solved it at least temporarily.

The artifacting reminded me of one more thing (which you have possibly considered as well).
Artifacts usually means overheating. And even if it was a "one-off", it could be an indicator.

Games like F1 Manager are kind of harsh on GPUs because the power demand is very variable. Meaning the card heat-cycles much faster than in games which are more stable in their power demands (even if the demands overall are higher).
Considering the card is 20 series are therefore probably couple years old and out of warranty, taking the radiator off and re-pasting the GPU could be worth a try. (If the card is anything other than Founders edition directly from nVidia which are notorious for their hard to service cooler design)

Just throwing ideas around.
As long as things are working, I wouldn't touch anything. :LOL:

Hey, I'm glad you've solved it at least temporarily.

The artifacting reminded me of one more thing (which you have possibly considered as well).
Artifacts usually means overheating. And even if it was a "one-off", it could be an indicator.

Games like F1 Manager are kind of harsh on GPUs because the power demand is very variable. Meaning the card heat-cycles much faster than in games which are more stable in their power demands (even if the demands overall are higher).
Considering the card is 20 series are therefore probably couple years old and out of warranty, taking the radiator off and re-pasting the GPU could be worth a try. (If the card is anything other than Founders edition directly from nVidia which are notorious for their hard to service cooler design)

Just throwing ideas around.
As long as things are working, I wouldn't touch anything. :LOL:
Hey there lads I am sorry to report that the crash has returned yet again and I seek help to investigate the issue and/or advice what to do next.
Since the game is unplayable for me what are the steps I can take to try to fix this issue?
Heres a screenshot of the last crash when it occured:
Source: https://imgur.com/a/utKFWCj

Is there any way to contact any staff here or send the crash dumps for investigation (besides the default send report button ofcourse , I mean the crashdump logs directly to a staff member)?
Does anyone have any kind of feedback or advice what I can try to get to the bottom of whats causing the issue?
I've tried:
Reinstalling game on different HD
Reinstalling graphics drivers with DDU
Enabling Vsync and running the game windowed
Deleting the game cache.
Running the game in DirectX 11 through a steam launch option.
Verifying game integrity (all is fine and dandy)

TO no avail. Will I be able to refund the game on steam due to it's unplayability and do you recon thats a viable option cuz I was really finna play it and I'm sad I can't conclude whats causing my crash.

Seen that before, and it was hardware related... check if your psu is strong enough. Switch your internal power line to your card. Also, try to use alternate pci line for your GPU.
Also, it could be bloatware related... antivirus... other.
With red dead 2 i had to fully reinstall my system for the game to start...
Now, on reddit, a lot of peoples are complaining about some instability with the game. In that case, the best thing to do is reporting yours logs....

sorry for you.

Top Bottom