Please Help :(

Hmm, I am now out of my depth. I've never seen that before. If nobody else can help tonight I'll ping customer services for you tomorrow.
Yeah that would be greatly appreciated if you let customer service know. As I can't seem to get a ticket through. Here's what happens when I launch the game outside steam and log in.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
As it's Sunday night in the UK there's nobody about. I'll ping them in the morning.

Any of these help:

Any of these help:
Nope :(

I have tried all of that other than deleting line for a runtime code that Frontier has not removed that can cause the update error. But he doesn't say which line of code on the launcher is removed so I can't do that. Hope the admin flags support for me.

Nope :(

I have tried all of that other than deleting line for a runtime code that Frontier has not removed that can cause the update error. But he doesn't say which line of code on the launcher is removed so I can't do that. Hope the admin flags support for me.

The editing you refer to is as follows:

In your EDLaunch directory - make a copy of the file "EDLaunch.exe.config" and stick it somewhere safe in case of issues. Then edit the original file "EDLaunch.exe.config" (notepad will do), you will see the lines:

<startup>

<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>
<supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>
</startup>

Just delete the line " <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/> " - save and start the launcher.

If it doesn't help then you have some other issue, sorry.

NOTE - this forum software removes the blank spaces so the layout in your config file will (probably) look different - it isn't a problem.

BTW - If you are not getting emails to acknowledge a ticket then there must have been a problem creating the ticket (a captcha issue for example) - you should also be able to see your ticket on the support website - if you can't then it didn't get created (or you made it a bug report).

Last edited:
1st - Why use Steam at all? - Go directly to the Frontier website and install from that location,
- https://www.frontier.co.uk/ - Any time I have used a 3rd party to connect to a web location there has always been some kind of glitch - It is best to go directly to the source.
M.O.O.

The editing you refer to is as follows:

In your EDLaunch directory - make a copy of the file "EDLaunch.exe.config" and stick it somewhere safe in case of issues. Then edit the original file "EDLaunch.exe.config" (notepad will do), you will see the lines:

<startup>

<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>
<supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>
</startup>

Just delete the line " <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/> " - save and start the launcher.

If it doesn't help then you have some other issue, sorry.

NOTE - this forum software removes the blank spaces so the layout in your config file will (probably) look different - it isn't a problem.

BTW - If you are not getting emails to acknowledge a ticket then there must have been a problem creating the ticket (a captcha issue for example) - you should also be able to see your ticket on the support website - if you can't then it didn't get created (or you made it a bug report).
Well it was a try. Didn't work. I think the problem is with the Frontier website. It just won't link to steam. And yes I am not getting emails. I know third party cookies is not blocked, and it is not creating a bug report. It just will not take my ticket. That's why I came here. One of the volunteer moderators said he would flag someone from Fr support to help me so hope he does.

1st - Why use Steam at all? - Go directly to the Frontier website and install from that location,
- https://www.frontier.co.uk/ - Any time I have used a 3rd party to connect to a web location there has always been some kind of glitch - It is best to go directly to the source.
M.O.O.
I totally would have done that but I bought the game back in early 2016 when there weren't any issues and then stopped play around 2017. I picked up Horizons in a steam sale a couple days ago not realizing that Frontier broke the steam version with an update this year.

I totally would have done that but I bought the game back in early 2016 when there weren't any issues and then stopped play around 2017. I picked up Horizons in a steam sale a couple days ago not realizing that Frontier broke the steam version with an update this year.
I may be wrong, but a non-Steam base game may not work with a Steam Horizons expansion pack. Have you tried completely uninstalling all Elite Dangerous data and installing it again? Maybe your base game is not compatible with the Horizons expansion, and vice versa so when you launch Horizons from Steam it doesn't recognise the base game and therefore doesn't work? :unsure:

I may be wrong, but a non-Steam base game may not work with a Steam Horizons expansion pack. Have you tried completely uninstalling all Elite Dangerous data and installing it again? Maybe your base game is not compatible with the Horizons expansion, and vice versa so when you launch Horizons from Steam it doesn't recognise the base game and therefore doesn't work? :unsure:
They are both steam versions. That's why I really don't get it. The base game I bought on steam early 2016 and then stopped playing in 2017. I saw Horizons on sale and not knowing that it had a bunch of problems letting you play with the Frontier website I bought it and now I'm here trying to sort it out :(

I have also tried multiple browsers, triple checked that third party cookies are not being blocked on any of them and it still will not take my ticket and give me a verfication email that it was sent. Just a little frustrating :) ha ha

So I just have to wait for one of the moderators to flag someone from Frontier to help me because I am at a loss for what to do next.

But I appreciate the help. Thanks Klimchuck.

Yep I wondered that too. I wonder if @waterheater can actually get their original game running direct - even downloading from their store's Account / "My Downloadable Products" page - get that up and running properly and then see if there is a way support can tie-in the account to Steam to get the Steam-bought Horizons working.

Overtaken by post above.

The launcher will start through steam. I can log out with the "options" and log in with steam like it says to do on the support forums. My frontier account says that steam is linked with my account. Yet when I start ED this way with that steam login I only get the option to play demo mode. I have tried everything on the support forums I think. So I don't know what to do now.
IF you dont have an option to launch the game it means that you are not logged into your frontier account. If all it says is "Demo mode".

On the top-right of the launcher it should say "WELCOME <your name here>".

If it does not say that then it means you are not logged in. You need to be BOTH logged into the LAUNCHER and STEAM.

IF you dont have an option to launch the game it means that you are not logged into your frontier account. If all it says is "Demo mode".

On the top-right of the launcher it should say "WELCOME <your name here>".

If it does not say that then it means you are not logged in. You need to be BOTH logged into the LAUNCHER and STEAM.
It says my name and Demo mode. The account on the Frontier website says that it is linked to steam.

Attachments

• Screen Grab ED _LI.jpg
    Screen Grab ED _LI.jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 174
have you even created a support ticket they will need one as it seems to be an accounts issue
where ever you buy the base game or horizons expansion they should work its not your fault FD AND STEAM CANT SORT THERE ACT OUT!
shame full shopping experience

have you even created a support ticket they will need one as it seems to be an accounts issue
where ever you buy the base game or horizons expansion they should work its not your fault FD AND STEAM CANT SORT THERE ACT OUT!
shame full shopping experience
The base game I bought on steam early 2016 and then stopped playing in 2017. I saw Horizons on sale and not knowing that it had a bunch of problems letting you play with the Frontier website I bought it and now I'm here trying to sort it out :(

I have also tried multiple browsers, triple checked that third party cookies are not being blocked on any of them and it still will not take my ticket and give me a verification email that it was sent. Just a little frustrating :) ha ha

So I just have to wait for one of the moderators to flag someone from Frontier to help me because I am at a loss for what to do next.

But I appreciate the help.

open a support ticket explain on the ticket the situation
and that you would simply like your recent horizons purchase to be linked to your base game account
you should get an auto reply to your email if you don't try compiling your ticket using a default set internet explorer browser (can be accessed via windows 10 edge via the three . . . top right of page)

Last edited:
open a support ticket explain on the ticket the situation
and that you would simply like your recent horizons purchase to be linked to your base game account
HOLY

Strontium dog... I do not know what was different about that link but it finally went through and the site accepted my ticket.

Thank you! much appreciated

Hopefully they get back to me soon

Top Bottom