PLEASE MAKE POWERPLAY IN "OPEN ONLY"

Nothing so organised....

.... just some players who don't seem to accept that any player has the right to demand that existing pan-modal content is retrospectively gated to their particular play-style.

There is, as yet, no "fact that Powerplay should become something for Open Players" - merely a proposal that might, possibly, be implemented if changes to Powerplay go ahead.

.... and the opinions of the supporters of OOPP, of course.

Being a "functional adult" I can accept that Frontier have implemented the game with absolutely no requirement for PvP with regard to engaging in any game feature and that every player bought the game on that basis.

It'd be great if other players would do the same....

The "same old arguments" are just as relevant now as they were when first made. The discussion around the three game modes / single shared galaxy state (i.e. PvP is an optional extra and not required) has been running since some of the first backers realised that players could affect the game without playing with them - that's well over six years now.

Have there been any truly new arguments in support of Open only anything in the last few years?
Back in circles, I see. Well, would it be such a tragedy if something is implemented in game which you don't like but you can ignore totally?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
So can we call it NotPowerPlay and keep the actual PowerPlay to die?
Better yet, create a duplicate for an Open only mode - and leave the existing tri-modal implementation alone.

.... for truly Open only Powerplay, mode switching would need to be disabled, otherwise a not insignificant number of players would likely only be in Open when they absolutely had to be.

Better yet, create a duplicate for an Open only mode - and leave the existing tri-modal implementation alone.

.... for truly Open only Powerplay, mode switching would need to be disabled, otherwise a not insignificant number of players would likely only be in Open when they absolutely had to be.
So anything but it can't be Open Only. A crusade guys. For a videogame. Got better to do than talk to fanatics, honestly. :) See ya.

Is it so dissimilar from the six year crusade for PvP-gated content in a videogame that has been sold to every single player as not requiring PvP to engage in any game feature?
Yes because you are preventing people to have anything at all because of your beliefs. Nobody here wants the game "all open only". But you want "nothing" to be open only, even a little part (powerplay for example because it's easier to tewak something already dead). That's what fanatism looks like. ;) So yes, it's different.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Yes because you are preventing people to have anything at all because of your beliefs. Nobody here wants the game "all open only". But you want "nothing" to be open only, even a little part (powerplay for example because it's easier to tewak something already dead). That's what fanatism looks like. ;) So yes, it's different.
I think that the idea that I am "preventing" anything is quite absurd and credits me with an amount of leverage with Frontier that, as a normal player, I simply don't have.

I understand that some would prefer their proposals to be unopposed - maybe best not to make them on an open forum in that case.

Well... the actual proposals are
  • Powerplay missions
  • Open Only or a dedicated mode to play Powerplay
  • new rules to make possible to drop specific systems to enemy Powers
  • new rules to make every conquest always good (because right now the great mess which is Powerplay is endangered mostly by players pledged to a power just to destroy it from within).
Try to read some old threads about that (many of them are mine :p ), we're basically waiting for FDev to give us a sign.
Like: "waiting for godot" wait. Patiently. Like tibetan monks.
I will check some of your stuff.

I think that the idea that I am "preventing" anything is quite absurd and credits me with an amount of leverage with Frontier that, as a normal player, I simply don't have.

I understand that some would prefer their proposals to be unopposed - maybe best not to make them on an open forum in that case.
How many people you gonna annoy with this crap? Good lord.

At least the real Robert Maynard went out and took on The Great Black Beard Pirate. He went looking for PVP.

He'd be rolling in his grave knowing someone was using his name like this :)

Last edited:
Powerplay was first designed to give players a reason to PvP (See Sandro's Comments on this).

Which I’ve always considered revisionist history on Sandro’s part. If Powerplay was intended to be an outlet for PvP, why doesn’t it facilitate PvP? Why can’t you complete objectives via PvP? Why is it the best you can hope for is to delay the PvE objectives of other Powers? Why doesn’t it reward players for PvP?

(edited to fix some phone related typos)

Last edited:
Which I’ve always considered revisionist history on Sandro’s part. If Powerplaybeas intended to be an outlet fir PvP, why doesn’t it facilitate PvP? Why can’t you complete objectives via PvP? Why is it the best you can hope for is to delay the PvE objectives of other Powers? Why doesn’t it reward players for PvP?

that's easy. because their vision of pvp is that of a theme park developer. they consider it just one 'nice to have' to appeal to a broader audience.

This seems like the beginning of a legit proposal. It's a compromise, but if we want change, people are going to have to be willing to compromise.

Errmm... false - you have detailed an opinion which does not reflect the facts.

And I keep on asking you for facts / evidence / anything and you give none, while I detail my opinion with evidence and analysis.

You don't actually say anything to back up your assertions.

Or is that, as you keep on saying- a moot point?

Last edited:
Never is a very long time. A bit if an overstatement, don't you think?

I have run P/P cargo in open and have often met human opposing players and in the distance; I heard them complain, that the speed of my Clipper: Is unfair.

But, you have a chance to change things. Remember we are extrapolating from what we already have and don't know exactly how behaviour or tactics will change.

This seems like the beginning of a legit proposal. It's a compromise, but if we want change, people are going to have to be willing to compromise.

The other issue is FD are not willing to put time in or have extra servers. Its blatantly obvious they want maximum gain from minimum effort. Sandros proposal was the compromise.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Sandros proposal was the compromise.
.... and Sandro's proposals formed part of an investigation, seeking feedback from the user-base - not a fait accompli.

After the reaction to the Open only proposal in FF1, he reincarnated the Open play bonus proposal of March'16 in FF2. Then it went quiet.

Will has indicated that some of the proposals in FF1 are being considered. I'm interested to find out which ones make the cut.

.... and Sandro's proposals formed part of an investigation, seeking feedback from the user-base - not a fait accompli.

After the reaction to the Open only proposal in FF1, he reincarnated the Open play bonus proposal of March'16 in FF2. Then it went quiet.

Will has indicated that some of the proposals in FF1 are being considered. I'm interested to find out which ones make the cut.

There was no 'reaction' to Open that made Sandro give the second proposal. Sandro had always considered both as a part one and two.

The problem is, without Open you are left with the status quo and not actually making the feature stand out or be compelling.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
There was no 'reaction' to Open that made Sandro give the second proposal. Sandro had always considered both as a part one and two.

The problem is, without Open you are left with the status quo and not actually making the feature stand out or be compelling.
If there was nothing to react to, why did he re-introduce the hand grenade proposal of March'16 in the second FF? Unless he hoped that it might have a better chance of greater support....

Whether, or not, making Powerplay Open only makes "the feature stand out or be compelling" rather depends on one's preference for PvP, I expect.

If there was nothing to react to, why did he re-introduce the hand grenade proposal of March'16 in the second FF? Unless he hoped that it might have a better chance of greater support....

Whether, or not, making Powerplay Open only makes "the feature stand out or be compelling" rather depends on one's preference for PvP, I expect.

Because he had said there would be an alternative he was considering. However it was shown to be mathmatically pointless without CZ changes which don't figure in the proposals.

As I explained in painful detail elsewhere, what is this 'precious gameplay' that will be lost if it went Open Only that is not present in the BGS? Powerplay has not been developed for years, while the BGS and features like Squadrons has to the point of making Powerplay redundant. Both of them can live side by side with Open only giving people more choice.

Top Bottom