Please reduce travel times in the bubble

But keep long travel times outside the bubble.

Its stopping me from playing.

For me, 10/20 mins staring at screen to get somewhere is ok if exploring new frontiers or the odd long range mission or something. Not ok for the majority of missions, mining, trade, bounty etc

For me, 10/20 mins staring at screen to get somewhere is ok if exploring new frontiers or the odd long range mission or something. Not ok for the majority of missions, mining, trade, bounty etc
this isnt the game for you, Long travel times IS Elite , the equivalent of what your asking would be to remove guns from Call Of Duty, its just not happing

I assume you mean travelling in-system, rather than star to star.

At least now you have Supercruise Assist, if you fit the module. Set, point in right direction, do something else while ship reaches orbit of destination.

"Doing nothing for long periods of time IS Elite!"

If nothing else, statements like this show how pathetic the situation really is.

"Projectile vomitting IS this restaurant!"
yes, catering to instant gratification kids whos whole argument is , "thats Pathetic".this is What ED needs :rolleyes:

seariously, ED isnt for you, not every one likes instant action all day everyday, go play NMS or something

What do you mean, long optional supercruise journeys or hyperdrive jumps to other star systems?

Not ok for the majority of missions, mining, trade, bounty etc

then be more selective about the missions you accept, all indicate distance to target. mining? you have all kinds of rings right next to shinrarta dezhra. trading, just optimize your routes and bounty hunting ... you can do that literally everywhere in the bubble.

don't go far if you don't want to get far, i guess?

Last edited:
Hyperspace trave is ok, IMHO, bit repetitive, but it'll do. At least it's interactive, and can be a slight suprise on exit, and there's plenty of ways to speed it up.
Since finding out about the awesome G4 biological sites, I have enough materials for 125 premium synthesis jumps, so if I'm feeling impatient, I just use that.

Supercruise on the other hand is incredibly dull. There's no real way to speed it up, and gravity bogs you down so much it's actually just infuriating. You can't even use the FSS without stopping.
So what do you do? Stick galnet on to read to you?
Look at the rather minimalist engineering page, which contains so little information, it my aswell just not be there? Pledge or unpledge to PowerPlay, repeatedly?
Or just pointlessly cycle targets hoping for some useful scan data?

There is almost zero gameplay in supercruise. I don't want to skip it entirely, but I'd like to have more options on how I get about the system.

Heh Heh...
Ha!

Uhhhh... Sorry 'bout that.

But really, what you ask for OP? Never gonna happen.

Lestat

Banned

Well Engineer your ship for hyperspace If you are jumping from system to system. That one problem solved. Also, Read the mission and view the destination by Galaxy map before accepting them. Problem two solved.

If it Supercruise. Please read the Mission and view the Galaxy map and buy system Data. So you can determine if that station is too far or not. Just check for other Missions suited for your type of game style.

So If you are accepting all missions without research then you are part of your own problem.

Note 65,000 Stations. 90% of them are catered to your needs short and sweet. Only 10% are catered to players who like a large distance.

Edit post
I got this video from Darkfyre99 it should be easy to be accessed from the First page

It is possible to go from taking off at one station to landing at about 90% of the stations in the Bubble that are a single jump away, in a type-9 no less, in under four minutes... if you actively pilot your ship. This includes leaving through the station slot, getting out of mass lock range, charging for a jump, a single jump through Hyperspace, the journey through Supercruise, and docking at your arrival station.

Travel times in the Bubble are not the problem. The problem is that far to many players are content to fly “hands off” for most of their journey, altering neither course nor throttle setting, and thus their trips take considerably longer than they would if they took advantage of optimal routes through a system, as well as the mechanics of Supercruise. It also leaves them extremely vulnerable to interdiction from both NPCs and players.

If you want to improve your Bubble travel times, there’s some simple things you can do:
1) check your destination station. If it’s more than a kilo-light second away from the arrival point, consider whether the extra travel time is worthwhile.

2) Do not fly in the orbital plane of the system. Nearby mass slows down your ship, and there’s a lot of mass in the orbital plane, some of which may not be visible but whose effects are present. It also helps you maintain situational awareness, which makes avoiding interdictions easier.

3) Alter course to avoid planets along your flight path. Their mass will slow you down a lot, even if you’re above or below the orbital plane.

4) Do not use the “six second rule” or keeping your throttle in the blue to avoid the so-called “Loop of Shame.” That loop is actually faster than either technique. Faster still is using the braking effect of mass to slow your ship quickly, by skimming the exclusion or orbitable zone as you fly past.

Last edited:
I think it supercruise assist. Because you are not flying full speed.

I think you have a point. However there have been requests & discussions about the rate of acceleration into & out of gravity wells since before release so it's might just be all the usual topics surfacing because of the lack of anything new to talk about.

I don't really see much benefit from changing a pretty core part of the game design that has a fair bit of other game elements tied to it, and no matter how fast a player could get from one place to another without some really big game disrupting change (wormholes, in-system jumps etc) it will always take longer to get to somewhere further away than somewhere nearby, so just making supercruise faster & increasing jump ranges even more only postpones this kind of complaint.

I think travel time is fine and a core part of what I enjoy about the game - the dilemma of whether a trip is a worthwhile use of my time and the value of my only really useful skill in games - tenacity.

So I both strongly oppose wormholes & in-system jumps and significant changes to the gravity well acceleration curves. But the gravity well behaviour in supercruise could be tweaked in a way that rewarded skill (I'm thinking of Darkfyre99's style of play here). As long as the change wasn't dramatic I'd be okay with it. I'd be okay with having the thruster module specs influence supercruise turning ability too, to allow (for example) a T-9 to be a little faster to turn. I believe accelleration rates should be a feature of the landscape (ie gravity wells) though, not the ship so that the basic techniques for getting an interdiction tether and avoiding one are retained.

Last edited:
Hyperspace trave is ok, IMHO, bit repetitive, but it'll do. At least it's interactive, and can be a slight suprise on exit, and there's plenty of ways to speed it up.
Since finding out about the awesome G4 biological sites, I have enough materials for 125 premium synthesis jumps, so if I'm feeling impatient, I just use that.

Supercruise on the other hand is incredibly dull. There's no real way to speed it up, and gravity bogs you down so much it's actually just infuriating. You can't even use the FSS without stopping.
So what do you do? Stick galnet on to read to you?
Look at the rather minimalist engineering page, which contains so little information, it my aswell just not be there? Pledge or unpledge to PowerPlay, repeatedly?
Or just pointlessly cycle targets hoping for some useful scan data?

There is almost zero gameplay in supercruise. I don't want to skip it entirely, but I'd like to have more options on how I get about the system.
I disagree. There are often signals you can check out that lead to loot: just look around your destination for those signals, it's really cool when you find some rare mats just floating amongst the pieces of some poor b@#$er's knackered ship. And if you like to smuggle sometimes there's illegal cargo floating out there too. And if you're carrying cargo you may get a visit from a pesky pirate, or if you're on a mission you may have some assassins trying to take you out (very likely if you stack elite missions). Supercruise can be really eventful sometimes.

Last edited:
I wonder if there's so much whining about boredom during flight on aircraft simulator forums.
Or truck simulator forums. Or train simulator forums.
Or sailing simulator forums, like Sailaway, where you can traverse the real sized oceans.
Um you forgot to mention that those other games or sims actually give you something to do during that time, or give you something interesting to look at. Not Elite. It's all boring and repetitive cut'n'paste bits over and over and over and over...

• Like (+1)
Reactions: M66
The problem might be related to the fact that Elite tries to be both a regular game with elements of various genres and also a simulation.
I think the main problem ED faces is the number of players who want everything made easier: fast travel, fast acquisition of anacondas, easy and fast access to materials, instant teleport anywhere in the galaxy, instant engineering without having to do anything to get access to the engineers etc. If Frontier actually did what these people wanted you could finish the game in 3 days and everyone would then be whining that it was too easy and not value for money 'cos they got a fully engineered anaconda in 2 days, fast travelled everywhere on day three then ran out of stuff to do!

Top Bottom