Please share positive animal social interactions you've observed here

-Bonobo mom grabbed baby by the foot and groomed her.

-Bonobo baby went up to another adult, made a face, waited, then smacked the adult on the back. The adult turned around and shook it's fists and made a face. Not necessarily positive (seemed a bit agressive) but it wasn't fighting!

Habitat approx 4000 sq m with heavy plant coverage and enrichment. I think there were 5 group memebers at this point. Took 2 years of in game time staring at the bonobos to see these two.

-Possible non breeding nuzzling between zebras. Could have been clipping but it did seem like actual nuzzling.

Very large multispecies habitat.

-Elephant baby seemjng to be aware of mom.

8500 sq m habitat, 3 adults, 1 baby. Habitat did not have plant coverage maxed out but was in the appropriate zone. Open spaces were purposefully left.

Baby was born and did not immediately flee the mom! First time I have ever seen a baby not flee. Stayed within a reasonable area of mom and vaguely followed her for quite awhile. Eventually took off to the other end of the habitat randomly then turned around and ran back until it reached mom at which point the baby stopped and hung around the general area of mom. Not perfect but closer to what most babies should do.

Wolf mom and baby played! And they stood nose to nose. Bison baby and adult also stood very close together, almost nuzzling ♥️
FB_IMG_1573157376188.jpg

In about 12 hours of play I've seen:

. Baby orangutan grabbing and trying to shake father's arm ( 2 adults,1 baby, in a large and fairly cluttered exhibit, welfare all green)
. 2 baby gorillas play wrestling (three adults, large exhibit, good welfare)
. Adult gorillas grooming one another
. Adult chimps grooming one another.
. 2 baby chimps play wrestling/fighting (5 adults and 4 babies in large exhibit, green welfare/needs)
. Baby chimps being grabbed by the foot and groomed, not restricted to parents (same enclosure as above, this interaction happens a LOT for me and is the one I've seen the most)
. Baby elephant touching/twining trunk with father ( 3 adults and 2 babies in a large exhibit, good welfare, I've never seen the adults interact at all beyond mating though)
. Cheetah cub being groomed by mother (2 adults and single baby, large enclosure, welfare fine)
. African wild dog siblings playing with each other after they aged up, they never interacted as pups in any way that I saw

I also have mandrills and both species of lemurs in the same zoo but I've never seen them interact with each other in any way at all that isn't fighting or mating. The baby elephants I mentioned do follow their mothers around. I have screenshots of some of these interactions but they're on my desktop PC, I might edit this and post them later.

At this point I really do think it's the frequency of the interactions that needs upping, they just don't seem to be firing often enough to be noticeable.

In about 12 hours of play I've seen:

. Baby orangutan grabbing and trying to shake father's arm ( 2 adults,1 baby, in a large and fairly cluttered exhibit, welfare all green)
. 2 baby gorillas play wrestling (three adults, large exhibit, good welfare)
. Adult gorillas grooming one another
. Adult chimps grooming one another.
. 2 baby chimps play wrestling/fighting (5 adults and 4 babies in large exhibit, green welfare/needs)
. Baby chimps being grabbed by the foot and groomed, not restricted to parents (same enclosure as above, this interaction happens a LOT for me and is the one I've seen the most)
. Baby elephant touching/twining trunk with father ( 3 adults and 2 babies in a large exhibit, good welfare, I've never seen the adults interact at all beyond mating though)
. Cheetah cub being groomed by mother (2 adults and single baby, large enclosure, welfare fine)
. African wild dog siblings playing with each other after they aged up, they never interacted as pups in any way that I saw

I also have mandrills and both species of lemurs in the same zoo but I've never seen them interact with each other in any way at all that isn't fighting or mating. The baby elephants I mentioned do follow their mothers around. I have screenshots of some of these interactions but they're on my desktop PC, I might edit this and post them later.

At this point I really do think it's the frequency of the interactions that needs upping, they just don't seem to be firing often enough to be noticeable.

Thanks for sharing all of this! I was wondering if my habitats might be too large or too planeted.

- Adult wolves playing when in a small enough social group

- Also have seen the wolves play with their babies

- Baby elephants and african buffalo definitely prefer to stick near their moms

Thanks for sharing all of this! I was wondering if my habitats might be too large or too planeted.

In my opinion plants or the size of an enclosure (we are not talking about 3x3 boxes) shouldn't really block most of the social interactions.For example I think that small things like licking or sniffing each other don't require a large open are of effect for the animations to play.I think it's mostly the frequency or the fact of specific interactions not being implemented.

Some of you are really lucky! I can only contribute the following:

- Red panda going to another one and making some noises to him. The second red panda reacts stepping on his hinder legs and reaching high with his paws on the air. This animation, if I’m not mistaken, was shown in the launch trailer.

Enclosure was the default one for red pandas on the third scenario of career more. Medium size, I believe that with 4 adults.

- A bonobo grooming another. This one was really short considering how much time grooming takes irl.

Default enclosure from second scenario in career, big size with about 8 adults and a couple of babies.

- Same behavior in two different species: greater flamingos and Japanese macaque. A group of 7-10 individuals gather around near the food tray. When they are all together, they walk in group to it, form a circle and eat at the same time. They all stop eating roughly at the same time too.

Default enclosures for flamingos and macaques of the third career scenario. The flamingo one is huge, while the macaque one is medium sized. Huge population in both, about 15 macaques and 25 flamingos aprox.

Weird enough, all these interactions happened in the middle of the night, except the macaque one.

In my opinion plants or the size of an enclosure (we are not talking about 3x3 boxes) shouldn't really block most of the social interactions.For example I think that small things like licking or sniffing each other don't require a large open are of effect for the animations to play.I think it's mostly the frequency or the fact of specific interactions not being implemented.
The collision box for some plants and trees are absurdly oversized, I'd love to see that consideribly downsized, especially for plants that animals should probably just be able to clip through. I wonder how much effort it would take to have plants do a little jiggle animation like in some games when you clip through them which gives the plant the feeling of presence while also allowing clipping.

Baby orangutan grabbing and trying to shake father's arm
I also had this in my old Orangutan-Enclosure but the Baby interacted with a female Orangutan.

I've also seen two adult Orangutans fight. But it seemed to be no serious fighting. It was more like playing. There was nothing that could've led to a aggressive fight. No one of them was injured after that. It was a male and a female Orangutan.

Enclosure:
Size=1820,0m²
Species in the Enclosure= Bornean Orangutan, Indian Peafowl, Chinese Pangolin
Climbing-Structures= more than necessary

I also had this in my old Orangutan-Enclosure but the Baby interacted with a female Orangutan.

I've also seen two adult Orangutans fight. But it seemed to be no serious fighting. It was more like playing. There was nothing that could've led to a aggressive fight. No one of them was injured after that. It was a male and a female Orangutan.

Enclosure:
Size=1820,0m²
Species in the Enclosure= Bornean Orangutan, Indian Peafowl, Chinese Pangolin
Climbing-Structures= more than necessary
Now I have a Interaction-Picture from the new Indoor-Enclosure

New Enclosure:

Size=6053,5m²

Species in the Enclosure= Bornean Orangutan, Chinese Pangolin

Climbing-Structures= 501,6m²

And another Picture. This is the same Enclosure as the previous Picture, but it's the Outside-Area

Last edited:
I had a tiger give birth to two beautiful cubs but right after she gave birth she unfortinately died. While she was dying one of her cubs ran up to her and started crying. It was the most heartbreaking sound I've ever heard and damn Planet Zoo is pulling my heartstrings on that one. 😭
I wanted more cubs to contribute to the challenge so I ended up buying another female tiget from the animal market.
At one point one of the cubs of the dead mother ran up to the new female and tried to play with her, but the new female tiger literally kicked it away!!! I couldn't help laughing at the time because it looked ridiculously funny, but now I realize how sad it is since the cubs probably just wanted some love. 💔

Wait, what? Was it due to old age or birth complications? Because I "hope" it's the latter since giving birth and immediately dying of old age would be absurd.
It was unfortunately old age, I did not realise how old my tiger was! But yes, very interesting to see an old tiger be able to carry babies, I guess I was just lucky 😉

I love seeing and hearing about these animations and behaviours being in game! Hopefully the devs can increase the trigger rate/frequency/etc to make them happen almost all the time (when needs and welfare are green).

So far - 10 hours of play - I’ve only seen my wolf pair (both on contraceptives) nuzzle each other and playfully bounce up together. This was in the enclosure of the first tutorial of career mode.

You know, it looks that there’s plenty of amazing animations on the game! The problem right now is how rare they are. They happen about once every 20 years, this needs to be fixed, it would make the game so much better!

I guess another factor is the time is passing so fast that the animals are to busy trying not to die too have fun. At least it feels mine always need to take care of something.

Top Bottom