Please stop the bullies at the Community Goals

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The definition of bullying is when an individual or a group of people with more power, repeatedly and intentionally cause hurt or harm to another person or group of people who feel helpless to respond. (National Centre Against Bullying)

This describes the behaviour of the gankers and griefers at the Delivery type Community Goal destinations. Bullies in highly engineered PvP ships interdict and kill lightly armed Traders and, because they often operate in wings, their targets have no chance of escape. Then they boast about their exploits on the local comms.

Almost universally, bullying is condemned and action taken against bullies, however Elite Dangerous at the least tolerates if not condones ganking and griefing. The issue has been discussed numerous times in the past but, as far as I know, no effective action has ever been taken.

As I understand it, one of the intentions of the Community Goals is to bring together Commanders all working towards the common objective. That intention is nullified if pilots fly in Solo or Private Group to avoid the bullies.

I have a suggestion that, I think, would curb such behaviour and make Open a much more attractive option.

For the duration of a Delivery CG, and only in the destination System, any interdiction should immediately result in an overwhelming response by the ATR (Advanced Tactical Responders) who instantly attack any ship that fires its weapons. For this to be effective two conditions should be met:
1. The ATR should be present immediately when the ships drop into normal space not, as is the present case, some minutes after the attack starts. It only takes between 5 and 15 seconds for a griefer to kill his target, so the ATR must be present to deal with the hostile ship(s) instantly.
2. The ATR should immediately engage any ship, that fires its weapons, with overwhelming force and kill it in the same way that Space Stations kill ships who fire inside the perimeter.

I understand that this might affect the Bounty type Community Goals, but that could easily be dealt with by establishing zones, similar to Compromised Navigation Beacons, where there would be no ATR response.

I do not believe that this would be difficult to implement and, in my opinion, would greatly improved the participation in and enjoyment of the Community Goals

Thank you.

Hmm. I've spent several hours on the CG last week. And while I actually for the first time since a long time encountered more than one other player in a system, none of the other Möbius pilots threatened me in any way.

Translated: the private group Möbius lost a lot of players last year with the squadron patch. But some are still left and you can find them at the CGs. :)

Deleted member 38366

D
@OP

Doesn't work.
Why? It's all officially Working as Intended , statement as given by the Executive Producer in early 2015.

That's what you get when you let a Producer design a Multiplayer/MMO title with zero (= NIL, N/A, None) experience in the field - and zero intention to learn even a thing about MMO/Multiplayer balancing basics.

So until that fundamental design flaw is recognized, addressed and entirely patched out of the Game - nothing will happen.
And it won't happen, since they simply don't have what it takes to balance an MMO. Plus, they don't care.

Not happy with that Situation? Do what countless other CMDRs already have done : abandon Open Play and join a PvE Private Group or use Solo Mode.
Change of heart? Want to dive into a FFA/Lawless PvP frenzy or a Gankfest? Choose Open Play and head to a CG location.

What's your CMDR name, btw?

The definition of bullying is when an individual or a group of people with more power, repeatedly and intentionally cause hurt or harm to another person or group of people who feel helpless to respond. (National Centre Against Bullying)

This describes the behaviour of the gankers and griefers at the Delivery type Community Goal destinations. Bullies in highly engineered PvP ships interdict and kill lightly armed Traders and, because they often operate in wings, their targets have no chance of escape. Then they boast about their exploits on the local comms.

Almost universally, bullying is condemned and action taken against bullies, however Elite Dangerous at the least tolerates if not condones ganking and griefing. The issue has been discussed numerous times in the past but, as far as I know, no effective action has ever been taken.

As I understand it, one of the intentions of the Community Goals is to bring together Commanders all working towards the common objective. That intention is nullified if pilots fly in Solo or Private Group to avoid the bullies.

I have a suggestion that, I think, would curb such behaviour and make Open a much more attractive option.

For the duration of a Delivery CG, and only in the destination System, any interdiction should immediately result in an overwhelming response by the ATR (Advanced Tactical Responders) who instantly attack any ship that fires its weapons. For this to be effective two conditions should be met:
1. The ATR should be present immediately when the ships drop into normal space not, as is the present case, some minutes after the attack starts. It only takes between 5 and 15 seconds for a griefer to kill his target, so the ATR must be present to deal with the hostile ship(s) instantly.
2. The ATR should immediately engage any ship, that fires its weapons, with overwhelming force and kill it in the same way that Space Stations kill ships who fire inside the perimeter.

I understand that this might affect the Bounty type Community Goals, but that could easily be dealt with by establishing zones, similar to Compromised Navigation Beacons, where there would be no ATR response.

I do not believe that this would be difficult to implement and, in my opinion, would greatly improved the participation in and enjoyment of the Community Goals

Thank you.

The ATR should immediately engage any ship, that fires its weapons, with overwhelming force

Why not just ban all weapons and engines above class E?

Contextual, in-character, bullying is entirely with the purview of intended gameplay and not against any rules.

You cannot dictate the goals of other CMDRs, nor can a lopsided CG. No matter what a CMDR does, it will work against the goals of others.

If a CMDR wants to prevent this generation ship from recieving aid, or even if they are simply using the concentration of CMDRs present to slake their thirst for the suffering of other Pilots Federation (a dastardly organization if ever their was one) members, this is not something that requires the imposition of arbitrary and heavy handed game mechanisms to prevent. In-game C&P is rather toothless, but that's because it would cut both ways and those that can't handle CMDR on CMDR bullying sure as hell aren't likely to be accepting of plausible consequences severe enough to deter most of it.

If you're certain you are being targeted, as a player, for out-of-character harassment, report and/or block the offender and move on.

If someone is flying a death trap, no vaguely rational level of ATR intervention is going to be able to save them from a determined attacker. Even what you describe, with ATR magically and instantaneously teleporting in to smite those who would dare have their characters interact in a way other than proscribed by the authors of a Community Goal, wouldn't do the trick.

Back in the beta, before they nerfed ATR, it took a wing of five ATR ships a solid two minutes to destroy one of my corvettes with considerable police support:
Source: https://youtu.be/mxu4JsMRfbQ?t=90

Stations don't instagib ships either:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN-neVz27Ns

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom