PMF Applications Temporarily On Hold

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I somehow feel that the whole BGS / PMF thing has become overcomplicated.

(in my opinion)
Frontier should set a limit for the number of factions in a system (player and non-player) - possibly base it on number of stations or population, and then make it a straight fight in each system.
Incoming factions replace the named bottom faction is below x percentage and need to fight to establish themselves.
If they manage this, they can grow and ultimately expand into adjoining systems where they again replace the lowest faction in system.

If a faction's influence drops to a low percentage and they become the faction to be replaced if an adjoining faction expands, then they run the risk of dropping out of existence.

new PMFs can choose to enter wherever they want (criteria dependent) - this could be in the midst of an already existing mega faction.

The concept of 'Home-protected' system ceases. Over time, it could result in a faction that starts in one system, expands into a second and then gets knocked out of their original location.
The problem with this is that if you made all factions open to removal, bounty hunting and massacre missions would very rapidly dry up unless something drastic was done to prevent every unattended anarchy faction from getting nuked into nonexistence by people doing what the game incentivises them to do.

The problem with this is that if you made all factions open to removal, bounty hunting and massacre missions would very rapidly dry up unless something drastic was done to prevent every unattended anarchy faction from getting nuked into nonexistence by people doing what the game incentivises them to do.
very magnanimous of you but I'm not sure that everyone wants the universe to tend towards order and away from anarchy.

This is a fair point and i think the solution is to make only PMFs removable. In addition we do need more stuff for anarchy factions to make sure they have a reasonable share of space and assets. This is expecially true for EDO, if the anarchy factions get nuked then its going to be harder for future EDO Cmdrs to get upgrades.

very magnanimous of you but I'm not sure that everyone wants the universe to tend towards order and away from anarchy.
Not everyone. Most people honestly don't care and just do whatever's most lucrative for them and don't particularly care about the consequences.
In odyssey, it's easier to get materials by just raiding bases owned by anarchy factions because you don't get inconvenienced by bounties, so that's what everyone does. They don't care about setting up a settlement to be owned by an anarchy, they just find an existing one and raid it. Then complain that all the ones they find are shut down due to being in civil unrest.
The same applies to massacre mission stacking. It's a great moneymaker, up there with mining, but it relies upon anarchy factions existing to be targeted, and pummels them down into the bottom of the influence table. If anarchies could be removed, the best farming spots would quickly find themselves unable to generate targets, which would concentrate attention on the few remaining systems left, which would drive them into the ground and remove them, and so on.

It's the old "tragedy of the commons" thing, but the thing is - even the people that do support anarchies generally aren't interested in doing so out of some desire to be groundskeepers for a plague of material-farming locusts to come and raid all their stuff and undo their work without putting any in themselves. A lot of anarchy groups have outright stopped playing as a result of what Odyssey has done to them. It's not that the will isn't there, it's just... honestly would you put in the hours to set up all this stuff only for the playerbase at large to farm it into oblivion, call you a griefer pirate murderhobo and finger-wag at you saying "you shouldn't have done a crime" when C&P bugs out and sends you to a detention centre without your ship, then complain that the system you were maintaining doesn't have any populated settlements any more so they can't complete their stack of raid missions?

Not everyone. Most people honestly don't care and just do whatever's most lucrative for them and don't particularly care about the consequences.
In odyssey, it's easier to get materials by just raiding bases owned by anarchy factions because you don't get inconvenienced by bounties, so that's what everyone does. They don't care about setting up a settlement to be owned by an anarchy, they just find an existing one and raid it. Then complain that all the ones they find are shut down due to being in civil unrest.
The same applies to massacre mission stacking. It's a great moneymaker, up there with mining, but it relies upon anarchy factions existing to be targeted, and pummels them down into the bottom of the influence table. If anarchies could be removed, the best farming spots would quickly find themselves unable to generate targets, which would concentrate attention on the few remaining systems left, which would drive them into the ground and remove them, and so on.

It's the old "tragedy of the commons" thing, but the thing is - even the people that do support anarchies generally aren't interested in doing so out of some desire to be groundskeepers for a plague of material-farming locusts to come and raid all their stuff and undo their work without putting any in themselves. A lot of anarchy groups have outright stopped playing as a result of what Odyssey has done to them. It's not that the will isn't there, it's just... honestly would you put in the hours to set up all this stuff only for the playerbase at large to farm it into oblivion, call you a griefer pirate murderhobo and finger-wag at you saying "you shouldn't have done a crime" when C&P bugs out and sends you to a detention centre without your ship, then complain that the system you were maintaining doesn't have any populated settlements any more so they can't complete their stack of raid missions?
That sounds like mechanics for one feature are broken, so Frontier artificially break another one in order allow gameplay to continue.
If there isn't sufficient driver to have an Anarchy faction gain influence, counter to the losses incurred through bounty hunting or massacre missions, then perhaps those anarchies do need to dry up. i.e. if everyone is hammering a particular faction for various reasons, why should it maintain persistence to placate a percentage of the user-base?

A possibly neater solution would be to regularly introduce NPC Anarchy factions on a regular basis to counter their destruction. As one get's removed, another one gets introduced somewhere else in the bubble. You could possibly tie it into a way of culling the 'dead' PMFs as these could be weakest factions and therefore most apt to be replaced.

That sounds like mechanics for one feature are broken, so Frontier artificially break another one in order allow gameplay to continue.
If there isn't sufficient driver to have an Anarchy faction gain influence, counter to the losses incurred through bounty hunting or massacre missions, then perhaps those anarchies do need to dry up. i.e. if everyone is hammering a particular faction for various reasons, why should it maintain persistence to placate a percentage of the user-base?

A possibly neater solution would be to regularly introduce NPC Anarchy factions on a regular basis to counter their destruction. As one get's removed, another one gets introduced somewhere else in the bubble. You could possibly tie it into a way of culling the 'dead' PMFs as these could be weakest factions and therefore most apt to be replaced.
... you essentially just said "if these factions can't keep up with an uneven playing field, perhaps they deserve to lose".

Absolutely typical response I've come to expect from these forums, tbh.

... you essentially just said "if these factions can't keep up with an uneven playing field, perhaps they deserve to lose".
Absolutely typical response I've come to expect from these forums, tbh.

You put it harsher that I did but this isn't primary school games.
If commanders feel sufficiently enthusiastic to ask to have a faction inserted into the game, they have to work to maintain it.
It doesn't cost money, it is just a relabel of a database entry at a location in a computer game.
If I wanted to introduce 'SnowMonk's Secret Slytherin Society of Secular Spacewizards' but then didn't put any effort into keeping it active, why should I expect it to survive?

I'm not sure the removal & re-insertion of NPC factions is a realistic option.

The increased downward effect on lawless factions seems to be the result of the revised C&P in Odyssey, it seems easier to become wanted and more inconvenient to the player so I'd look there for a solution to that rather than applying more band-aids.

The issue with PMFs being inserted is probably going to be addressed with ever increasingly strict criteria leading to fewer being added (rather than any solution that relies on removing existing PMFs), I don't really see another solution that won't create more problems than it solves.

However we don't know what issue prompted the start of this thread, it may have nothing to do with the wider issues of PMF insertion.

I guess this:

Still applies?

ETA: As current 'issues' with Odyssey (and to some extent Horizons) may be using more staff resources, or possibly causing a reluctance to insert additional assets into the game until some stability is achieved.
Is there a way to get rid of inactive player factions? I've got one in my home system that has basically been inactive since they added it over two years ago and they own 0 stations and 0 settlements. Even the corresponding squadron on Inara has been (automatically?) disbanded.

Perhaps the blurb (backstory of the PMF) on the maps could only be shown if they control the system, or somewhere players only see if they specifically are looking at that faction.
Yes, please. The PMF in my home system has some made up drivel about how they were operating out of the system for years and all that, even though none of the members had actually visited the system prior to slapping their faction in it (I know because I asked them for the few days they were active). They also didn't have the required number of members anyway.

Is there a way to get rid of inactive player factions? I've got one in my home system that has basically been inactive since they added it over two years ago and they own 0 stations and 0 settlements. Even the corresponding squadron on Inara has been (automatically?) disbanded.
There isn't, but an inactive PMF taking up space of their native system (for other systems you could just retreat them) is probably the least problematic of the current BGS direction towards no longer having systems without a PMF.

There isn't, but an inactive PMF taking up space of their native system (for other systems you could just retreat them) is probably the least problematic of the current BGS direction towards no longer having systems without a PMF.
Oh yeah, no priority whatsoever, I just wanted to know if it's possible.

Greetings Commanders,

This is just a quick post to announce that Player Made Faction applications are not currently being reviewed while an internal error is being addressed. When the situation changes, we'll let you know!

O7
So I guess this no longer the case? We saw a new PMF placed last week.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom