Polar Bears and your Zoo 🐻‍❄️

I surely hope so. Tbh Polar Bear is the last one from the must have diving pre-aquatic animals imo. Nile monitors, other bears, jaguars and so on would be nice, but I can live without them deep diving. But a polar bear without diving is a no-no.

Last edited:
This is very good news especially for franchise players. I use the polar bear in probably 40% of all my zoos I’ve created since the animal was introduced. Since I play sandbox I’ve never had to fight with the huge size requirements but now other players can build more realistic exhibits so that’s great news.

This is fantastic to hear! Polar Bears will now be much more viable in franchise zoos. Thank you for the decision!
suitability for the Taiga biome to the Polar Bear.
I do want to make a friendly reminder about this section before the patch is live. I hope Polar Bears will be able to tolerate taiga map temperatures now that they have the biome suitability. Just like the Arctic Wolf, Reindeer and Dall Sheep. They have something like up to 16 degrees Celsius if I remember correctly.

I surely hope so. Tbh Polar Bear is the last one from the must have diving pre-aquatic animals imo. Nile monitors, other bears, jaguars and so on would be nice, but I can live without them deep diving. But a polar bear without diving is a no-no.
I'd include the Nile monitor and both tapirs there. The rest would be ok without diving, but would love to see even more animals with deep diving animations!

I can't express how thrilled I am about this update. I mainly play franchise mode, so this is a true game changer for me. Thank you!

I would like to take this opportunity to bring attention to yet another issue about polar bears:
Enrichment requirement:

One of the aspects we often found mentioned in Polar Bear habitat evaluations was the diversity and amount of enrichments, which can offset concerns about habitat size.

We have therefore slightly increased the enrichment need of Polar Bears – so make sure to place down enough toys!
Their food enrichment items are an exact copy paste from other bears, all of which are omnivorous or herbivorous bears. Polar bears are hypercarnivorous predators and their food enrichment items should properly reflect this trait. For instance they should have the frozen blood pumpkin enrichment in place of frozen block of fruit and the pinata and restraint feeder enrichments in place of tree forager, tree scatter feeder and bamboo feeder. They should also have the prey scented sack and blood scent marker instead of the herb scent marker. In short their enrichment items should be more similar to lions and tigers than pandas, sun and black bears.

I thought now would be a good time to bring this issue to the attention of the developers as the enrichment need for polar bears has increased.

I can't express how thrilled I am about this update. I mainly play franchise mode, so this is a true game changer for me. Thank you!

I would like to take this opportunity to bring attention to yet another issue about polar bears:

Their food enrichment items are an exact copy paste from other bears, all of which are omnivorous or herbivorous bears. Polar bears are hypercarnivorous predators and their food enrichment items should properly reflect this trait. For instance they should have the frozen blood pumpkin enrichment in place of frozen block of fruit and the pinata and restraint feeder enrichments in place of tree forager, tree scatter feeder and bamboo feeder. They should also have the prey scented sack and blood scent marker instead of the herb scent marker. In short their enrichment items should be more similar to lions and tigers than pandas, sun and black bears.

I thought now would be a good time to bring this issue to the attention of the developers as the enrichment need for polar bears has increased.
I think Polar Bears do sometimes also get Fruit and Vegetables in Captivity but I agree that these Items should be added.
Another Problem with the Polar Bear seems to be the Animation for the Scratching Tree (unless the Problem is because I've placed a few small Rocks and Plants around it). I was so excited to see the Polar Bear use the Tree but instead of normally scratching, it has some weird lay down Animation for it.
Also not completely sure but shouldn't the Polar Bear also have the Ability to climb? (at least the Juveniles) (same for juvenile Komodo Dragons🦎)

in place of tree forager, tree scatter feeder and bamboo feeder.
When you click the frozen fruit item it will still say "processed meat, whole carcass and fish", so I don't think that is intended. If they wanted to add vegetable matter to their diet I think they would have added it to the unlockable three tier food list in the first place.
Food displayed inside the enrichment items when filled by a keeper also appears to support this idea (visually doesn't match the individual food items when clicked).

When you click the frozen fruit item it will still say "processed meat, whole carcass and fish", so I don't think that is intended. If they wanted to add vegetable matter to their diet I think they would have added it to the unlockable three tier food list in the first place.
I suspect this is due to a copy paste error from other bear blueprints. I agree that plant matter would have been included in their food type-quality sections first if this was actually intended. If I remember accurately there was a herbivorous animals with eggs in their food types. That for instance would be intended. Even then they didn't have meat based enrichment items visually, so yeah I agree that it would be the other way around first.

I might have found what triggered a change in polar bear space requirements almost 1.5 years after the last change. Apparently the source Frontier has been using, Bear Conservation.org has also halved their requirements to 4000m2. Whatever the reason, it is a very welcome change, especially for franchise zoos.

One more thing you guys might want to consider changing is, there are no polar bears in Iceland, unlike what the Zoopedia claims. :)

I might have found what triggered a change in polar bear space requirements almost 1.5 years after the last change. Apparently the source Frontier has been using, Bear Conservation.org has also halved their requirements to 4000m2. Whatever the reason, it is a very welcome change, especially for franchise zoos.

One more thing you guys might want to consider changing is, there are no polar bears in Iceland, unlike what the Zoopedia claims. :)

The Zoopedia also claims there are Reindeers in Denmark (unless it has been changed recently), which is not the case and haven't been in thousands of years.

Tim Smith

Lead Community Manager
There's a little bit more bear news over in this thread folks!

Top Bottom