Polaris

Now that the galaxy basically knows everything about the Thargoids, INRA, CMDR John Jameson and the Mycoid virus, why is the Pilots' Federation still blocking access to Polaris?

Personal guess: Polaris was the place in FFE where friendly interactions with Thargoids could take place. If/when it becomes apparent that friendly Thargoid interactions become possible, then it will become unlocked. Perhaps there's a base there where we can obtain the Unknown Permit?

Personal guess: Polaris was the place in FFE where friendly interactions with Thargoids could take place. If/when it becomes apparent that friendly Thargoid interactions become possible, then it will become unlocked. Perhaps there's a base there where we can obtain the Unknown Permit?

The story's momentum has been somewhat lost, I'm hoping Barnards loop and the surrounding region will be re-opened soon. I'm guessing as you are that Polaris is going to become important later in the story.

Hopefully FDev will get on with moving things forward a bit. The bubble burning was pretty cool initially but it took way, way too much time to repair stations. I did one (took 3 months) & helped with some others, most people I cajoled into helping me did a session or two then moved on. At the end of the day it's just low profit, one way A-B trading and my altruism will only stretch so far.

dxm55

Banned
Now that the galaxy basically knows everything about the Thargoids, INRA, CMDR John Jameson and the Mycoid virus, why is the Pilots' Federation still blocking access to Polaris?

Probably a prelude for another grind just to access another system which offers........

Nothing.

Like Beta Hydri, Like Van Maanen's star, and that Faeces system.

Yep. just another piece of faeces permit.

True story: I have no idea about Elite lore and still wanted to go to Polaris because Stanislaw Lem.

I attempted to visit it as an early exploration destination simply because it was a known (ie real star) destination. I travelled around Barnards loop as my first long distance journey simply because it's right there on the skybox, encouraging a player new to the game to go & see just how big it is regardless of any lore. Adding the permit lock and leaving it locked for so long has denied this simple pleasure of visiting arguably the most interesting nebula in the game.

I struggle to believe that any planned content can be so compelling that it justifies locking out such a large region so close to the bubble for so long.

I attempted to visit it as an early exploration destination simply because it was a known (ie real star) destination. I travelled around Barnards loop as my first long distance journey simply because it's right there on the skybox, encouraging a player new to the game to go & see just how big it is regardless of any lore. Adding the permit lock and leaving it locked for so long has denied this simple pleasure of visiting arguably the most interesting nebula in the game.

I struggle to believe that any planned content can be so compelling that it justifies locking out such a large region so close to the bubble for so long.
Like moon? Ye. Then again, it'd be weird if there was actually something 7n pipeline and new stuff magically appeared in those places.

Since permit locks are issued by the Pilot's Federation, does this mean NPCs (who presumably don't belong to PF) get to go to all these locked systems?

Oh, and Felicity is smart - surely she could bypass the 'governor' that prevents my engineered FSD from going to these systems!

Since permit locks are issued by the Pilot's Federation, does this mean NPCs (who presumably don't belong to PF) get to go to all these locked systems?

Oh, and Felicity is smart - surely she could bypass the 'governor' that prevents my engineered FSD from going to these systems!

I always assume NPCs can already do stuff that has not yet been implemented in the game (like land on atmospheric worlds), and if the story requires it FDev can write in anything they like that makes sense whether players can currently do that or not. Being able to analyse the exploration data collected in the last CG to reveal stuff the player that collected it may not have noticed at the time is as good an example as any. I'd like to be able to examine my own data too - stuff like the presence of guardian/thargoid/human crash sites is currently only shown in the FSS Scanner Screen at the time the body is resolved. I may have missed something and would like to be able to tabulate my own data to look for clues.

Seeing as we haven't got a transmission jammer and a nuke it's not a good place to visit, iirc visiting without these meant instant death in a few seconds.

Top Bottom