Engineers Ships Power distributor and heat output

Hello everyone. I'm currently optimizing a mining anaconda I have. It does well for its job but I'm trying to get it where i can have 4 medium mining lasers but the problem is the heat output. When I use 4 mediums it overheats the ship too quickly; but when I downgrade one laser to a small it's fine. The ships temperature doesnt move that much at all. After getting clean drives G5 and thermal spread on my PP I thought it would fix the problem but it had no significant impact if any as far as I can tell. The only thing i can figure is it has to be something about the power distributor that dissipates the heat generation from the hardpoints. I'm currently using a guardian PD but If it will help I can try using a normal PD that's been engineered. Is it the recharge or total capacity if either that I should engineer for? Any suggestions are appreciated.

The easiest solution here would to unequip some lasers. You're probably mining faster than your limpets can catch up, anyway.

Two medium lasers are plenty unless you have like, 10+ active collector limpets.

As for the distributor, you'll get better performance out of a standard engineered power distributor. Charge enhanced w/super conduits experimental, and if you insist on having all of those lasers, Weapon focused w/super conduits. The latter only loses like 1% or so on the recharge rate, but gives you a bunch more initial capacity.

When I get home I will run a couple of tests. I'll try one with all four medium lasers and see how much energy is left in the wep capacitor when my ship starts to overheat and I'll try it again the way I have it now to compare. From what you guys are saying I'm not sure if I should go for weapon focused or high recharge. If the total weapons capacity is what keeps you're heat levels in check then maybee wep focus might be better but if it's just purely keeping recharge rates above a certain level then charge focus would be better. Idk.

I have 10 active limpets and I could move a few modules around to make it 12 but that seemed excessive so I went with a class 5 prospector instead

And a prospector bigger than size 1 is a waste of a slot.

I have traditionally believed that as well but I have also heard alot of other people say being able to prospect multiple rocks at the same time is more efficient than one at a time. Im trying it the other way atm; but my personal opinion is still out on this but it's not set in stone so I can change back anytime to compare.

I usually only run a bigger prospector limpet if I have the extra space. One is sufficient, more is kind of a luxury.

If you’re just hunting for core deposits, you hardly need to fire them. They were far more important for basic mining before the pulse wave analyzer and seismic charges were a thing.

I think my Anaconda used to look something like this before I parked it and focused on core mining with smaller, faster ships.

Mine is solely made for traditional style mining. I have a deep core miner I made from a Krait phantom and that one only has 1 prospector. I've never really been a big fan of deep core because of how unpredictable it is to find them. Sometimes in an hour you will find 30-50 million credits worth or ores and other times you will find 80+ million. Painite almost always takes in at least 70 million or even up to 150+ per hour depending where you mine.

You can never have too many collectors. And a prospector bigger than size 1 is a waste of a slot.
Why do you think so?
I always run two prospectors, so I can fire at one rock, wait for the limpet to arrive there, and meanwhile fire at ANOTHER rock. I'm not good enough to identify a core roid at every time, so this works out for me faster... And for laser mining that's even more important.

When I was using 12 collectors vs 10 I think the difference in collection time is negligible. Flying up to a cluster of asteroids and pop, pop, pop, pop then I've got all 4 scanned seems much more efficient to me than scanning one at a time. Plus while my collectors are collecting I can check to see what's in the other asteroids.

By the way if anyone is interested I went and engineered a standard 8A power distributor to Grade 5 charge enhanced with super conduits experimental and that solved my heat issue. My anaconda can now fire 4 medium mining laser quite comfortably now.

Did you have 4 pips on Wep?

I've mined with four Torval mining lances (which have a reputation for running hot), with a Guardian PP/PD combo, and quickly found that pip allocation made a huge difference.

Did you have 4 pips on Wep?

I've mined with four Torval mining lances (which have a reputation for running hot), with a Guardian PP/PD combo, and quickly found that pip allocation made a huge difference.

Yep 4 pips. I'm working on unlocking the Lance's actually. My plan is to put 2 of them in class 1 slots and use them to mine as I approach to within range of the mediums and then I'll switch to my mediums to finish what's left. Do you like the mining lances?

Well, I did my Selene Jean 500t with regular mining lasers before unlocking the lances (bad planning there), but switched to lances for Bill Turner and Marsha Hicks. Mining speed was limited by my collector limpet speed anyhow, so the lances could easily blast off enough to keep the limpets busy. Much longer range, so you can sit back at a comfortable distance.

I like mining lances for meme purposes. Kinda of a prestige thing, maybe, as I got my start in mining.

Overall, they’re worse than a regular mining laser, and worse than a regular beam laser.

I’d love it if Fdev would buff them, or let us engineer them at least.

Just imagine it! Mining a rock four kilometers away lmao.

Edit: I’d like to add that they’re kinda nice for tagging pirates before the cops finish them off. Might as well pick up a free 80k bounty when you can.

Yep 4 pips. I'm working on unlocking the Lance's actually. My plan is to put 2 of them in class 1 slots and use them to mine as I approach to within range of the mediums and then I'll switch to my mediums to finish what's left. Do you like the mining lances?
I ran with that setup before the new mining tools came out. Used the two lances because of their range only. I often enough didn't move close enough with regular small mining lasers. Two lances and two medium mining lasers do the job and can fire nonstop.

Top Bottom