Powerplay PVP Etiquette / Best Practice

Is there something like a best practice or etiquette how to start a pvp fight with someone of another power? I want to start with pvp but this is still new for me...

Yesterday I played for the Feds (Hudson) and pulled an Asp Explorer by Aisling out of supercruise with the Gunship. I posted a role play message "This is a Powerplay attack. Mister Hudson sends his regards. Traitor". I started shooting a little bit but let the Asp flee because I was somehow feeling bad about this.

How are you dealing with this? Is it perfectly acceptable to destroy other commanders of other powers anywhere? I just want to avoid that I attack a new player which has no idea why this all happens and spoil their fun. Or that they think I'm a ganker.

Is there something like a best practice or etiquette how to start a pvp fight with someone of another power? I want to start with pvp but this is still new for me...

Yesterday I played for the Feds (Hudson) and pulled an Asp Explorer by Aisling out of supercruise with the Gunship. I posted a role play message "This is a Powerplay attack. Mister Hudson sends his regards. Traitor". I started shooting a little bit but let the Asp flee because I was somehow feeling bad about this.

How are you dealing with this? Is it perfectly acceptable to destroy other commanders of other powers anywhere? I just want to avoid that I attack a new player which has no idea why this all happens and spoil their fun. Or that they think I'm a ganker.
i have struggled with the same "moral" dilemma.
generally, i will not attack an enemy CMNDR unless they are combat rank Competent or higher.

I'd say depends where you are. If they are in Hudson territory, or you in Aisling territory, then by pledging they have stated they are your "enemy" - its there in red below their name... so telling them why you are engaging them with content-delivery is rather polite - and don't feel bad - if a non-Federal pilot interdicted you in their or your territory, I'm sure you'd feel you are fair game - after all, you've pledged to a power. They only lose some Cr, maybe some forts / merits or a few missions... not like you are actually killing them its a game! Just one thing tho - if you do interdict someone (or they dict you), please, please, please don't combat log! Nothing worse than cheats.

oh - and you can always run a lame ship.. Archon Fury used to use a sidey for such things.. anyone can wake from a sidey. I usually am in an AspE, viper3 etc - again, you can always get away.. and do offer advice - don't run in a straight line, turn whilst boosting, use some pips.. helps shed that guilt ;)

In my view anyone who is pledged doesn't deserve any "newbie protection". As people who fly big three or are in Colonia or whatever.
Pledged is pledged, attack if you like.
This nonsense about "he's pledged but he doesn't really do powerplay, he's just after the modules" should go down the drain.
I'll even go a step further: regardless of being pledged, attack whomever you like, if you feel so. It's a game.

It is perfectly acceptable according to the devs, to start combat for any reason, or no reason at all.
A hostile/enemy presence is an obligation to do so.
That's what you pledged to do.

Cleanse this guilt because its going to get you killed.

Out and about use discretion. Shoot out the life support and wag a finger at their poor choice of power, and chortle as they suffocate. Hey, at least they get a chance to escape!

In your manor, unless they are one of yours module shopping (or known friendlies) you rip these punks a new exhaust port. They made the mistake, don't feel pity for them.

The Replicated Man

T

Did someone say Gunship?????!!!!!!

If you want a gunship duel I'd be down. Always try and fight gunship pilots :p

The Replicated Man

T
Cleanse this guilt because its going to get you killed.

Out and about use discretion. Shoot out the life support and wag a finger at their poor choice of power, and chortle as they suffocate. Hey, at least they get a chance to escape!

In your manor, unless they are one of yours module shopping (or known friendlies) you rip these punks a new exhaust port. They made the mistake, don't feel pity for them.
Most run Lightweight D rated anyways so the risk of them suffocating is pretty high :p

Did someone say Gunship?????!!!!!!

If you want a gunship duel I'd be down. Always try and fight gunship pilots :p
You and Falter are my big idols and I always read your messages and watch the videos to learn. You guys are so cool.

I feel really badass when I play with my fully modded Gunship when I activate FA-off. But tbh I am a real pvp noob and still gimball scrub (all overcharged with autoloader, 1 small with high capacity/corrosive and 1 OC with emmissive).

I play on ps4 unfortunately...

So if I summarize correctly there are 3 ways to deal with the issue:
  • V1: Kill them all with no regret
  • V2: Destroy life support and Drives first...
  • V3: Only attack players competent or higher in own or enemy territory but not neutral

@Replicant how do you deal with that as a pro?

Any additions by others?

Most are a bunch of treacherous mercenary namers, who only pledged to do the absolute minimum possible until they get access to the officers' commissary, then they desert!

that's correct. sorry if i'm not willing to die for some jerk's power ambitions. thanks for the modules, and good luck, though! ;)

You and Falter are my big idols and I always read your messages and watch the videos to learn. You guys are so cool.

I feel really badass when I play with my fully modded Gunship when I activate FA-off. But tbh I am a real pvp noob and still gimball scrub (all overcharged with autoloader, 1 small with high capacity/corrosive and 1 OC with emmissive).

I play on ps4 unfortunately...

My psn is Bob_Lighthouse.
You can fight my FGS, but I'm a really poor substitute for one of those guys.

Any additions by others?

i don't think there's an etiquette, population is too sparse and diverse.

shooting and killing for no reason is ok, so it's up to you. i mean, you don't need to instagib people, right? start fighting and see how it goes, you'll get a feel if it's a newbie. act accordingly. even if you upset someone, you can talk it out afterwards, help out, teach something or learn something, possibly make friends. you might also be called terrible things in ancient languages and never see the bloke again. and you might have an exclusive thread in honor of your epics.

anyway starting comms is very good! yet keep in mind that people often overlook them, so no response doesn't mean 'get lost' either. myself i overlook the comms panel quite often, it's so spammy with constant bogus that i tend to just mentally blank it out. it's like living near an airport, you just stop hearing the planes.

Any additions by others?

hello, me again, i forgot:
  • there is a quite extended courtesy to turn 'report crimes' off if you expect an even fight, to avoid your opponent getting wanted and bringing the cops on your side. of course this is optional, but quite assumed if it's an 'honorable duel' or pvpers duking it out. if you are being randomly jumped with no comms, or roleplaying, it's ok to keep it on.
  • don't combat log
  • don't use trainers :p

No need for comms really. If you feel like blowing someone up just go for it. If you see a new player, blow them up repeatedly. Explain how to unpledge when they start complaining.

Last edited:
Top Bottom