Powerplay PVP Etiquette / Best Practice

How do you want to appear to other CMDRs? On the gameplay level I agree with most here and would say shooting on sight is absolutely viable. On the other hand the population of the game isn't big and there is the block function, so some light rp can help to actually arrive at the well filled friend-to-kill list, which makes PvP a lot easier. Pure murderhoboism will appeal to murderhobos ect., If your gameplay is centered around CGs, Deciat and Shinrarta, that's all you need. So the question is what kind of contacts do you want to have in-game?

May i suggest you don't use the word traitor. That implies they were a supporter of your power but then switched sides.

Having said that, i've never really understood the mindset behind power ships blowing each other up, the powers are not at war with each other, its more political than anything. Having said that, politics can be helped along with the judicial application of pew pew :D

Other than that, i applaud your concern for the enjoyment of other players and letting them know the reason for the attack.

How do you want to appear to other CMDRs? On the gameplay level I agree with most here and would say shooting on sight is absolutely viable. On the other hand the population of the game isn't big and there is the block function, so some light rp can help to actually arrive at the well filled friend-to-kill list, which makes PvP a lot easier. Pure murderhoboism will appeal to murderhobos ect., If your gameplay is centered around CGs, Deciat and Shinrarta, that's all you need. So the question is what kind of contacts do you want to have in-game?
Doesn't matter, people will still get salty :)
Besides, it's not very realistic. Isn't like in the movies with everyone explaining every move they make.

I think thats a really good point Melanthes. The player population is small on ps4... not sure if killing on sight is the best approach. I also remember the times when a player blowed up my fully loaded Type9 without comms. On the other hand I still talk about my first interdiction by a real pirate. He wanted 100t and I started fleeing and shooting. After a short time he destroyed my drives and I was like a stranded whale. In panic I dropped 100t and he then thanked me and offered advise etc. This was so cool.

I think I will try the following:
  • Attack wanted players but always start with a role play message
  • Limit my powerplay attacks to real power play territory and only commanders with rank competent or higher. And start with a message to give them a chance to understand

May i suggest you don't use the word traitor. That implies they were a supporter of your power but then switched sides.

Having said that, i've never really understood the mindset behind power ships blowing each other up, the powers are not at war with each other, its more political than anything. Having said that, politics can be helped along with the judicial application of pew pew :D

Other than that, i applaud your concern for the enjoyment of other players and letting them know the reason for the attack.

I used traitor because the chance is very high that they switched sides in the past. But you are right. Might be unfair in some cases. I could replace with Imperial scum...

Doesn't matter, people will still get salty :)
Besides, it's not very realistic. Isn't like in the movies with everyone explaining every move they make.
Yeah, although I never implied the need to avoid people getting annoyed. The problem as I see it, is that it is actually incredibly easy to avoid deadly combat. Maybe a new player isn't capable of doing so, but it will also be a boring fight and I don't want to waste my own time with peashooting. To get enjoyable content (i.e. challenging combat), I think manners actually help. Finally, in a situation where no real thread exists (which is true for all PvP), bad taste is the only real crime.

Is there something like a best practice or etiquette how to start a pvp fight with someone of another power? I want to start with pvp but this is still new for me...

Yesterday I played for the Feds (Hudson) and pulled an Asp Explorer by Aisling out of supercruise with the Gunship. I posted a role play message "This is a Powerplay attack. Mister Hudson sends his regards. Traitor". I started shooting a little bit but let the Asp flee because I was somehow feeling bad about this.

How are you dealing with this? Is it perfectly acceptable to destroy other commanders of other powers anywhere? I just want to avoid that I attack a new player which has no idea why this all happens and spoil their fun. Or that they think I'm a ganker.
I really don't understand why people feel guilty about killing other players. It's just a game. You wouldn't feel guilty shooting another player in Battlefield or Call of Duty so why is it any different here?

Yeah, although I never implied the need to avoid people getting annoyed. The problem as I see it, is that it is actually incredibly easy to avoid deadly combat. Maybe a new player isn't capable of doing so, but it will also be a boring fight and I don't want to waste my own time with peashooting. To get enjoyable content (i.e. challenging combat), I think manners actually help. Finally, in a situation where no real thread exists (which is true for all PvP), bad taste is the only real crime.
Well, you did mention the block list. I think that qualifies as salty :)

In my experience it doesn't matter too much how you approach people. Either they're cool with getting blown up or they're not, no amount of verbal communication will change that.

To elaborate on my post further up: I'm not advocating ganking left and right, I myself am a player who usually doesn't shoot first.
But from a moral point of view it's totally simple: Space-pew-pew game. Shoot. Kill. Don't bother with guilt.
When you don't want to go that way, totally up to you. But it's a game, everything goes...

Well, you did mention the block list. I think that qualifies as salty :)
You're right. That did imply people getting annoyed and in general I agree with you.
But there are different ways to get annoyed in-game. Someone behaving like an insecure fifteen year old, might get blocked even by those who he might be seeking. Someone who is generally well behaved out of combat, will most likely get more enjoyable combat. That would be best practice for me, if the OP wants to get better and to enjoy PvP.

I think thats a really good point Melanthes. The player population is small on ps4... not sure if killing on sight is the best approach. I also remember the times when a player blowed up my fully loaded Type9 without comms. On the other hand I still talk about my first interdiction by a real pirate. He wanted 100t and I started fleeing and shooting. After a short time he destroyed my drives and I was like a stranded whale. In panic I dropped 100t and he then thanked me and offered advise etc. This was so cool.

I think I will try the following:
  • Attack wanted players but always start with a role play message
  • Limit my powerplay attacks to real power play territory and only commanders with rank competent or higher. And start with a message to give them a chance to understand

If/when we meet, I highly encourage you to use comms, a lot.

Focus on that, yes...

This (IMO at any rate) is a fundamental issue with Powerplay (stemming from ED and its recent direction in general) that has made it what it is- the perception that its 'bad' to kill without a reason.

In Powerplay, by pledging you are giving a reason to kill others who are on an opposite (and wrong) team- in ED it was (until squadrons) unique in that you had a visible pledge. There was no excuse as you wore your allegiance for all to see.

In the Beginning™ we were told that Powerplay is a struggle to survive, and that you either win or you and your Power die. It was healthy to be brutal and ruthless, and that whoever stood before you from whatever Power should be cut down like wheat. Its like Coastal Command in WW2 did not chat to U Boats, they blew them up on sight because they sunk shipping- no guy dropping depth charges ever wrote a telegram to the U Boat skipper asking him his intentions and to jolly well stop his shenanigans.

'Off pitch' in community is / was where Powerplay was social- Discords, Reddits etc- a lot of friendships from opposite ends of the ED spectrum were made in this way, but outside in space its kill or be killed- or was supposed to be.

Maybe this attitude comes from the lack of collapse and hence urgency to dominate, but either way (IMO) Powerplay is not the place for talk first / shoot after perceived or otherwise.

This (IMO at any rate) is a fundamental issue with Powerplay (stemming from ED and its recent direction in general) that has made it what it is- the perception that its 'bad' to kill without a reason.

In Powerplay, by pledging you are giving a reason to kill others who are on an opposite (and wrong) team- in ED it was (until squadrons) unique in that you had a visible pledge. There was no excuse as you wore your allegiance for all to see.

In the Beginning™ we were told that Powerplay is a struggle to survive, and that you either win or you and your Power die. It was healthy to be brutal and ruthless, and that whoever stood before you from whatever Power should be cut down like wheat. Its like Coastal Command in WW2 did not chat to U Boats, they blew them up on sight because they sunk shipping- no guy dropping depth charges ever wrote a telegram to the U Boat skipper asking him his intentions and to jolly well stop his shenanigans.

'Off pitch' in community is / was where Powerplay was social- Discords, Reddits etc- a lot of friendships from opposite ends of the ED spectrum were made in this way, but outside in space its kill or be killed- or was supposed to be.

Maybe this attitude comes from the lack of collapse and hence urgency to dominate, but either way (IMO) Powerplay is not the place for talk first / shoot after perceived or otherwise.
This is so happy :)

The Replicated Man

T
So if I summarize correctly there are 3 ways to deal with the issue:
  • V1: Kill them all with no regret
  • V2: Destroy life support and Drives first...
  • V3: Only attack players competent or higher in own or enemy territory but not neutral
@Replicant how do you deal with that as a pro?

Any additions by others?
I usually go for the distro first actually. Sometimes the Life Support. If it's an Alliance ship, well yeah shoot for the drives. Works even better if you are running the 2 small seekers, which make short work of drives.

Competent or Higher is a Grey area, Sometimes you can shoot lower ranked targets who have the ability to shoot back. Sometimes you find Mostly Harmless Combat Pilots, but they are Elite in something else.

I quote from the Federal United Command's PvP ethos.

Ethos
-Keep crimes off if looking for fights.
-Don’t return to a wing fight once you’ve left (repairing/rebuying and returning), unless the enemy wing has done this already.
-Avoid running premium ammo in PvP encounters. It's widely considered poor form and impossible to tell if others are running it.
-Never use heal beams outside of PvE. They’re overpowered, ignore pips, and break basics PvP mechanics. When used in PowerPlay, they make interception and merit removal nearly impossible.

With that said as long as they are not allies or neutral you can attack just about any ship pledged to "Zyada" imo. And you can attack without asking, they will return the favour.

Otherwise you could always ask for a 1 v 1 from other non-zyada powers or unpledged players.

Ethos
-Don’t return to a wing fight once you’ve left (repairing/rebuying and returning), unless the enemy wing has done this already.
-Avoid running premium ammo in PvP encounters. It's widely considered poor form and impossible to tell if others are running it.
-Never use heal beams outside of PvE. They’re overpowered, ignore pips, and break basics PvP mechanics. When used in PowerPlay, they make interception and merit removal nearly impossible.

With that said as long as they are not allies or neutral you can attack just about any ship pledged to "Zyada" imo. And you can attack without asking, they will return the favour.

Otherwise you could always ask for a 1 v 1 from other non-zyada powers or unpledged players.
laughs

Ethos

I'm unlikely to attack anyone who doesn't attack me first; however, if you attack me first I'm going to hit you with every sucker punch, nut kick, hair pull, eye gouge, and nipple twist I know --- and heaven help you if you go down because that is when the kicking starts.

When I come for someone I don't want them to have options, I don't want them to think it was fair, and I don't want them to feel good about it afterwards. I'm going to do everything I can short of cheating to make sure that the encounter is the most lopsided, one way, unbalanced, over the top, what the hell was FDev thinking by making that possible - encounter that I can possibly manage.

Wait, the PvP community won't respect my play-style you say?

LOL

The only respect I want is this: "Oh look, Wargfoot is online... time to switch over to solo play".
I'll grant you none of that is likely to happen, but I'll be honest, that is always my goal.

So no, I don't want respect; I want to drink champagne out of my enemy's skull.

Last edited:
Top Bottom