Powerplay PVP Etiquette / Best Practice

I'm pledged to Winters and "just farming for the toys" as they say. These guys don't care. Starts out as 2v1 then 4v1 near the end. The best practice is be ready for anything. They caught me off guard with my PvE Vette. Its been months since anyone interfered with my merit farming. The insolence.

I'm pledged to Winters and "just farming for the toys" as they say. These guys don't care. Starts out as 2v1 then 4v1 near the end. The best practice is be ready for anything. They caught me off guard with my PvE Vette. Its been months since anyone interfered with my merit farming. The insolence.

We had a few encounters with these guys too.

Anytime someone mentions a tactic or weapon setup that is 'problematic' I add it to my 'must have' list.
I've been that guy since I first fired up a computer - it's my comfort zone.
It's not so much about being problematic, it's about making the game not fun for both parties. First of all they take no skill to use, whatsoever (so not exactly satisfying for any player who takes pride in his ability), so expect a load of ridicule in chat (I'm sure that doesn't bother you), secondly, they take out non-sturdy weapons in about 3 volleys, without doing any real damage to the ship, meaning all you've done is prevented yourself having a decent fight. The other guy can't shoot anymore, so what's he going to do? Hang around while you finish him off? ;)

You can claim a victory at that point and that's fine, but the opponent is unlikely to agree, having left the instance safely with 90% of his hull intact, and he'd be right, that's what's called a 'no-contest' in any real sport. If you face me, wouldn't you want to 'actually' beat me? Rather than make me wake out at 90% because I laughed at your packhounds and decided to go do something more worthwhile? :)

First of all they take no skill to use, whatsoever

Don't really agree. If they aren't used at the right moments they will either not arm, be evaded, or be mostly harmlessly expended against shields.

If you face me, wouldn't you want to 'actually' beat me?

My CMDR is primarily concerned with survival and going about his business, not demonstrations of skill or making the experience enjoyable for actual opponents. Destroying an opponent's ship also doesn't do a whole lot in the current economy, so making them leave for repairs works just as well.

Of course, my CMDR doesn't have access to packhounds, but neither does he often feel disadvantaged by being on the receiving end of them...more often than not another railgun or PA in that hardpoint would be more useful.

First of all they take no skill to use, expect a load of ridicule in chat (I'm sure that doesn't bother you), secondly, they take out non-sturdy weapons in about 3 volleys, without doing any real damage to the ship, meaning all you've done is prevented yourself having a decent fight. The other guy can't shoot anymore, so what's he going to do? Hang around while you finish him off? ;)
This reads like advertising copy for Packhounds. :D
I had my cheque book out at 'they take no skill to use'.

I've an entire rat's nest in Carcosa that needs to be cleaned out and it must be accomplished as soon as possible.

drums fingers, yawns and checks watch

Anytime before the heat-death of the universe?

(As a side-note, those amusing notions of "honour" and "sport" don't apply to either me or my packhounds)
Oh god, this will be soooo good when Warg finally arrives in Colonia 2037 in Elite: Elitest and we gank him with our wing of Panther Clippers ... just don't cross the Plasma Accelerator streams...

Don't really agree. If they aren't used at the right moments they will either not arm, be evaded, or be mostly harmlessly expended against shields.

My CMDR is primarily concerned with survival and going about his business, not demonstrations of skill or making the experience enjoyable for actual opponents. Destroying an opponent's ship also doesn't do a whole lot in the current economy, so making them leave for repairs works just as well.

Of course, my CMDR doesn't have access to packhounds, but neither does he often feel disadvantaged by being on the receiving end of them...more often than not another railgun or PA in that hardpoint would be more useful.
You've beaten me plenty without packhounds, you don't exactly represent the playerbase my incredibly cold-blooded (I know you take that as a compliment and it is meant as one) and highly skilled friend. :) You know what I'm getting at, as you know what kind of commander mine is, too. The kind that loses wars because he isn't prepared to break his own moral code, and I can live with being 'that' guy in a video game, too. Honestly, it's rare to come across packhounds in the wild lately and it's a 'good thing' because shield tank being a semi-requirement any more than it is already would be a terrible shame.

P.S. I'll bring a proper ship to our next duel. Prepare yourself. lol.

Oh god, this will be soooo good when Warg finally arrives in Colonia 2037 in Elite: Elitest and we gank him with our wing of Panther Clippers ... just don't cross the Plasma Accelerator streams...
Dude, I was planning on you helping me clear out the trash in Robardin Rock.
Are you telling me Null's zomboys are aligned with Loren's Legion?

Carcosa is starting to sound like the Sodom & Gomorrah of Elite Dangerous.

Loren's Reapers own Carcosa through our proxy, The Nameless.

Who are Null's zomboys? Where is someone trying to tell you that?
I thought Bigmaec was associated with Null - and you can see a couple of posts up he talks about brags about 'we' (you) conspiring to murder me.
So it appears he's a Null zomboy, conspiring with you (Loren's Reapers) to kill innocent noob who may stumble his way into Carcosa late 2022.

I wouldn't mind hearing more about the Nameless.
I wonder, what do you put on their tombstones? (1)

NOTES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: You really shouldn't waste time with my posts. I'm a noob hiding out in a private group trying to grind out Guardian missions. I'm currently an easier kill than the NPCs, I hate theory crafting ships, my go-to weapon of choice is a beam laser. Spelling the word 'Colonia' in a post is probably the closest I'll ever get to having anything to do with that part of space. I'm confessing all of this to you because of the way your avatar wears her hair. Not the sort of woman you'd want to make angry.

1: You really shouldn't waste time with my posts. I'm a noob hiding out in a private group trying to grind out Guardian missions. I'm currently an easier kill than the NPCs, I hate theory crafting ships, my go-to weapon of choice is a beam laser. Spelling the word 'Colonia' in a post is probably the closest I'll ever get to having anything to do with that part of space. I'm confessing all of this to you because of the way your avatar wears her hair. Not the sort of woman you'd want to make angry.

Ahhhh it's all suddenly so clear!

Thanks for the enlightenment! :D

I thought Bigmaec was associated with Null - and you can see a couple of posts up he talks about brags about 'we' (you) conspiring to murder me.
So it appears he's a Null zomboy, conspiring with you (Loren's Reapers) to kill innocent noob who may stumble his way into Carcosa late 2022.

I wouldn't mind hearing more about the Nameless.
I wonder, what do you put on their tombstones? (1)

NOTES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z0Z0Z0

Is there something like a best practice or etiquette how to start a pvp fight with someone of another power? I want to start with pvp but this is still new for me...

Yesterday I played for the Feds (Hudson) and pulled an Asp Explorer by Aisling out of supercruise with the Gunship. I posted a role play message "This is a Powerplay attack. Mister Hudson sends his regards. Traitor". I started shooting a little bit but let the Asp flee because I was somehow feeling bad about this.

How are you dealing with this? Is it perfectly acceptable to destroy other commanders of other powers anywhere? I just want to avoid that I attack a new player which has no idea why this all happens and spoil their fun. Or that they think I'm a ganker.

I think you have your approach spot on.

Powerplay is at least partially to do with pvp. You got involved with it and at the same time let the other person know "why" and that you weren't just looking to spoil their fun.

Have some rep for being a decent bloke!

o7

^---- UH, HELLO KARI, DO YOU SEE THIS RIGHT HERE?

Gosh, I'm starting to think if I actually did make the trip to Colonia that you'd all just take turns murdering me.
This is EXACTLY like High School where all the cool kids beat up on the lonely nerd who cannot get a date, is good at maths, but somehow looks really sweet in sunglasses.

Top Bottom