Pre-Shows

I'd love to be able to design some kind of pre-show for attractions... (Would definitely need the incorporation of videos).

Have a pre-show to where it can be set on any point of the queue line. Guests can enter a queue line, then enter a pre-show, then back into a queue line (Example: E.T. Adventure, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, ect.) or be able to just create a queue line, then guests pile into a pre-show that then just automatically goes into the loading platform (Example: Haunted Mansion, Stitch's Great Escape, Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem, Ellen's Energy Adventure, Ect.)

I think out of all ideas on creating a realistic theme park, this would be essential. Maybe not for a general amusement park, but for an actual theme park. Pre-shows create a giant sense of detail/depth into your attraction. You could create a totally original ride and have a pre-show, or re-create a ride.

Be able to design your pre-show room... Options: 1). Break up into separate lines with a tv above-head like E.T. Adventure, The Simpsons or Despicable Me)... 2). Guests be able to just walk into a room of your size and watch the pre-show film such as Ellen's Energy Adventure or Tower of Terror.)

Have a pre-show to where it can be set on any point of the queue line. Guests can enter a queue line, then enter a pre-show, then back into a queue line
I don't think thats a good idea... does everybody "leave the line" or only some people? does that mean those who dont visit the "preshow" get to cut in line ahead of those who do see it? I dont understand why they would need to leave the queue... cant we just have entertainers, scenery or animated objects around the queue?

Last edited:
It's quite a common thing actually in theme parks like Disney. It would be a holding room where they take groups of guests (say 40 at a time) into the room and then they watch a video or something before they leave again and continue on with the queue. Normally they add something to the story of the ride. For example the Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom has a big room where the room appears to "stretch" that you wait in. Or the Tower of Terror has a "library" that you go into to watch a video. It's a way of spacing out if he queue and making the whole experience a bit less boring I think.

It's quite a common thing actually in theme parks like Disney. It would be a holding room where they take groups of guests (say 40 at a time) into the room and then they watch a video or something before they leave again and continue on with the queue. Normally they add something to the story of the ride. For example the Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom has a big room where the room appears to "stretch" that you wait in. Or the Tower of Terror has a "library" that you go into to watch a video. It's a way of spacing out if he queue and making the whole experience a bit less boring I think.

THe op said
Have a pre-show to where it can be set on any point of the queue line. Guests can enter a queue line, then enter a pre-show, then back into a queue line

I may be wrong but the wording led me to believe it meant at any point exterior to the ride building itself. The preshow at the haunted mansion is actually part of the ride experience because immediately after you are loading not getting back in the queue line.

THe op said

I may be wrong but the wording led me to believe it meant at any point exterior to the ride building itself. The preshow at the haunted mansion is actually part of the ride experience because immediately after you are loading not getting back in the queue line.

Okay well it was a bad example to choose then. I was just trying to explain the concept for creaper's benefit. But there is still often a good 10 minute wait after it.

Last edited:
I don't remember ever seeing people leave a line to go watch a show, and then get back in line. TV's in a queue are not the same thing, they had those in RCT3 and I hope to see them return (maybe nice little flat panels or even giant projectors?). If OP wants to make a queue enter various rooms, that is possible, isn't it? If he builds the path as needed and scenery around it?

Hopefully we have actual staged shows that we can place anywhere and theme ourselves. I really want a western quick draw type scene with entertainers running around, or maybe some sort of train heist but I know that probably won't happen [sad] lol

Last edited:
I don't remember ever seeing people leave a line to go watch a show, and then get back in line. TV's in a queue are not the same thing, they had those in RCT3 and I hope to see them return (maybe nice little flat panels or even giant projectors?). If OP wants to make a queue enter various rooms, that is possible, isn't it? If he builds the path as needed and scenery around it?

Hopefully we have actual staged shows that we can place anywhere and theme ourselves. I really want a western quick draw type scene with entertainers running around, or maybe some sort of train heist but I know that probably won't happen [sad] lol

I'm saying a pre-show. A queue line is a normal queue line until a certain room opens up and people pile in to watch a pre-show. This is very common at Disney or Universal Studios.

I'll use the old "Twister" attraction from Universal Studios as an example. Since there are more pictures available online...

You're first put into a regular queue line...

(Below: Twister's exterior queue line)
fgIgU7o.jpg

Eventually, however, a worker lets a certain amount of people into a "pre-show" room to let guests understand what their experience is about to be.

(Below: Twister's pre-show room)
2vts7wo.jpg

(Although, twister didn't have the nicest looking pre-show room.)

Relating back to your OWN attraction, after the pre-show, you would either continue into a second queue line, or just board your vehicle. Twister basically went into a second queue line after the pre-show.

(Below: Queue line after the preshow)
oi-twister-ride-it-out-at-universal-studios-florida-878.jpg

The only way I see you not understand what I'm saying is that you don't understand what a pre-show is... If that is the case, look up Stitch's Great Escape preshow, The Simpsons Ride preshow, or Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem pre-show.... Other attractions with preshows include: ET Adventure, Shrek 4D, Escape from Gringotts, Ellen's Energy Adventure, Test Track (1.0), DINOSAUR, Tower of Terror, Terminator 2: 3D, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Soarin'....

The chamber that everyone piles in, in the attraction "The Haunted Mansion" IS a pre-show. You enter an exterior queue line, then you pile into this pre-show chamber, then you exit into another small queue line that leads to the omnimovers.

Here's a video of DINOSAUR's preshow, after you've exited the first queue, you enter this preshow room. Then you enter another queue line.

[video=youtube;W9zwz4E9Pyg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9zwz4E9Pyg[/video]

Take a trip to Disney or Universal and figure it out! :p

Last edited:
Yes I understand. TVs will probably be added, and the point is you can do this already. Just make the queue path circle around in a 3x3 or 4x4 square and theme that. Then make a small path out of the 3x3 box leading to the next 3x3 box that you would then theme around before eventually getting to the ride entrance. Maybe I'm just missing something? If you want guests to "stop" in a specific location within the queue to "watch" your scenery before proceeding, I'm sorry I don't think that's really necessary. Unless it was a designated "spooky house" or something similar as an actual ride attraction.

Yes I understand. TVs will probably be added, and the point is you can do this already. Just make the queue path circle around in a 3x3 or 4x4 square and theme that. Then make a small path out of the 3x3 box leading to the next 3x3 box that you would then theme around before eventually getting to the ride entrance. Maybe I'm just missing something? If you want guests to "stop" in a specific location within the queue to "watch" your scenery before proceeding, I'm sorry I don't think that's really necessary. Unless it was a designated "spooky house" or something similar as an actual ride attraction.

I'm sorry but I think you're missing the point entirely. Pre-shows are a very big thing in some theme parks. Its not just like some piece of scenery that people look at. It is a method of crowd control more than anything. It is often part of the story of the ride or can be used as the way of explaining the rides harnesses and stuff. I would really like to see a way of implementing preshows into my planet coaster rides, and I do remember Jonny Watts mentioning at some point that they are looking into it. Its one of those things I always wished I could have in RCT3.

I've been to a few rides with "pre-ride" shows I suppose, but the only ones I even remotely enjoyed was the Haunted Mansion or the Tower of Terror. I mostly see them being a part of "attractions" such as 3D simulators like T2, Twister, Shrek, or adventure rides like ET or Jaws, which I don't think exist anymore. Will we actually be able to design rides like that? It would be cool to have stage shows or adventure rides! But personally, I am not one to spend a lot of time on my queue lines.

I'd rather see a thread discussing adventure rides than queue shows [cool] what I'm hoping for is Frontier to make Planet Safari as an expansion (not just Zoos, but Safaris!)

Last edited:
I've been to a few rides with "pre-ride" shows I suppose, but the only ones I even remotely enjoyed was the Haunted Mansion or the Tower of Terror. I mostly see them being a part of "attractions" such as 3D simulators like T2, Twister, Shrek, or adventure rides like ET or Jaws, which I don't think exist anymore. Will we actually be able to design rides like that? It would be cool to have stage shows or adventure rides! But personally, I am not one to spend a lot of time on my queue lines.

Are you a troll..? "Adventure rides don't exist anymore" ... ET still exists in Florida. Jaws still exists in Japan. The Jaws ride that was replaced in Florida has an attraction called "Escape from Gringotts" which houses TWO different kind of pre-shows... That is an adventure ride. Kongfrontation is opening at Universal. That's an adventure ride. Frozen Ever After is opening at EPCOT. That is an adventure ride.

There ARE rides with preshows that are not required to stop a queue line... Such as Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin or Men in Black: Alien Attack. But for someone who wants to create a full, in-depth attraction with a deep story behind it... ORRR to re-create a ride experience like Escape* of Gringotts from real life, it would be very useful!

If you're against pre-shows because you're more of an amusement park-style creator rather than a theme park creator, then I think all you really needed to say was... "I'm not really into detailing my queue lines. I prefer creating parks similar to Six Flags or Carowinds" rather than all this jumbled mess...

There is quite a difference between an "amusement" park and a "theme" park... You must not have visited many theme park in your life... Theme parks are CRUCIAL to details and backstories... Ect. It's okay if that's not your cup of tea in a park simulation game.... But I mean... That's all you really had to say.

Last edited:
I have been to theme parks, and as I said, most pre-ride shows don't thrill me. But as far as I knew jaws ET and T2 in florida were shut down. I forgot about king kong, and also Earthquake. Those were great rides. But I repeat... can we make rides like that?

I have been to theme parks, and as I said, most pre-ride shows don't thrill me. But as far as I knew jaws ET and T2 in florida were shut down. I forgot about king kong, and also Earthquake. Those were great rides. But I repeat... can we make rides like that?

Well I was on ET a few months ago and it wasn't shut down as far as I could tell. Maybe I'm wrong though... And if your opinion is that they don't appeal to you then just say that but there's no point trying to turn the thread into an "adventure ride" thread just because the original topic doesn't interest you.

ET and T2 Still exist........ Jaws didn't have a preshow. Jaws was replaced by Escape from Gringotts which DOES have a preshow.

Repeat no more. Yes. We can make rides like that. It's been done numerous times all the way back to RCT3. Here's Indiana Jones as an example.

[video=youtube;mOoIi0ZIMwQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOoIi0ZIMwQ[/video]

If it can be done on RCT3... Then it SURELY can be done on a brand new game like Planet Coaster.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to change the topic, but sharing my opinion [cool] about the rides I thought I heard were shutdown, well maybe they were just closed the day I was there last.

Interesting video, but what exactly was being shown that can't be done in PC? I saw a themed queue line and we can do that in PC, right?

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to change the topic, but sharing my opinion [cool] about the rides I thought I heard were shutdown, well maybe they were just closed the day I was there last.

Interesting video, but what exactly was being shown that can't be done in PC? I saw a themed queue line and we can do that in PC, right?

You specifically said "can we make rides like that?" Since you were questioning whether we can create attractions that are filled with "adventure" or a storyline... The video was showing.... Yes. Yes we can.

No the video showed a themed track ride, not an "adventure ride" with interactive scenery elements like a shark, dino, king kong, or other creature chasing the boat or something to that effect. That would be awesome to make!!
but... I thought we were discussing the queues

Are you a troll..? "Adventure rides don't exist anymore" ...
i never said ALLLLLL adventure rides, I named a couple specific ones. Relax [tongue]

Last edited:
No the video showed a themed track ride, not an "adventure ride" with interactive scenery elements like a shark chasing the boat or something to that effect. That would be awesome to make!! but... I thought we were discussing the queues

i never said ALLLLLL adventure rides, I named a couple specific ones. Relax [tongue]

What exactly is an adventure ride to you? Here is a jaws remake since you keep bringing it up..

[video=youtube;9xl2QW8ReZE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xl2QW8ReZE[/video]

What exactly is the point of a pre-show if we don't have actual "show" rides or interactive ride elements? Will those things be a part of the game? Stage shows and ride elements should come before queue "add-ons"

See, that recreation of Jaws is awesome! Except it requires heavy modding, and the shark doesn't actually "frighten" or entertain the guests, same can be said for the doors. I would rather see Frontier add "ride elements" such as the shark you see in the video but that can actually be a part of the ride, like chasing the boat, rather than just a piece of nearby scenery. Or like the rides King Kong or Earthquake.

Currently, we can make something like "Its a Small World" or "Pirates of the Caribbean" but we can not make rides like Jaws or T2 or the Haunted Mansion without some modding. Now maybe modding will arrive, but I think the devs need to make the game actually accept ride elements as more "interactive" for the guests. Does that make sense?

The best interactive scenery in RCT3 was the one exploding gas tanker with the rocks falling down. That was my favorite because it was based on the Universal Studios old "back-lot tour" but I want more stuff like that and bigger ones!

Last edited:
What exactly is the point of a pre-show if we don't have actual "show" rides or interactive ride elements? Will those things be a part of the game? Stage shows and ride elements should come before queue "add-ons"

See, that recreation of Jaws is awesome! Except it requires heavy modding, and the shark doesn't actually "frighten" or entertain the guests, same can be said for the doors. I would rather see Frontier add "ride elements" such as the shark you see in the video but that can actually be a part of the ride, like chasing the boat, rather than just a piece of nearby scenery. Or like the rides King Kong or Earthquake.

Currently, we can make something like "Its a Small World" or "Pirates of the Caribbean" but we can not make rides like Jaws or T2 or the Haunted Mansion without some modding. Now maybe modding will arrive, but I think the devs need to make the game actually accept ride elements as more "interactive" for the guests. Does that make sense?

The best interactive scenery in RCT3 was the one exploding gas tanker with the rocks falling down. That was my favorite because it was based on the Universal Studios old "back-lot tour" but I want more stuff like that and bigger ones!

I completely agree with you. But that's not really the point of me starting this thread. Ride elements and stage shows are a different topic... I'm not talking about an order. It's just a general thing of what I would want to see in the game. Pre-shows don't required interactive elements.. Rockin' Roller Coaster for example.

Ride elements would obviously enhance an adventurous attraction, but that's for another thread... Another discussion. I'm just discussing why I would want pre-shows in the game.

Top Bottom