prepared messages for use

having a set of pre typed messages could improve piracy as there is a less likely chance of cmdrs logging. having a set of messages which I could use depending on the situation instead of having to buy a keyboard can help both the trader and the pirate as the trader knows whats going on and the pirate doesn't need to keep typing it out,

scenario, I have spotted a trader at the cg and he is a shieldless type 9(lucky me) which I plan to interdict and pirate him, in this scenario the cmdr could
1 log
2 stop and comply with my further demands
3 run
4 self destruct
5 rant
having a pre typed message can lower the chances of the cmdr logging due to him panicking but if there was a pre typed set of messages then they know what's going on. these messages could have an great effect in roleplaying in general on elite.

in terms of piracy these messages could go like

trader spotted

hello cmdr I am a pirate and my only interest is cargo, please submit for scan and do not attempt to run otherwise I will disable your drives yarr.

cmdr stops and scan has concluded

cmdr please drop 10t of cargo and you will receive a 24hr pass for compliance

cmdr decides to run

cmdr this is your final warning halt now or I will open fire and disable your drives

cmdr decides to shoot me

cmdr stop shooting or I will retaliate( I would only use this on condas,vettes,cutters as trade ships like the type 9 aren't a threat)

it would be nice to have this and id love to hear your thoughts below.

Last edited:
I use AutoHotkey(free download), and have several pre- written messages tied to the F1-F9 keys, also I have some HCS voicepacks, and you can have pre-written messages there too, works great for piracy. There are a few threads on here about the subject, and you tube videos showing you how to set it up

I use AutoHotkey(free download), and have several pre- written messages tied to the F1-F9 keys, also I have some HCS voicepacks, and you can have pre-written messages there too, works great for piracy. There are a few threads on here about the subject, and you tube videos showing you how to set it up
im on xbox though, even still we shouldn't have to download stuff for a feature such as this

So being on Playstatio this has been my strategy.

1. Pretype in chat box: Cut Engines Now, prepare to be boarded, or Prepare for scan, drop 20t of cargo, Get out of here before I change my mind
2. Interdict
3. Type in letter "C", this begins the autopoulate of the words that follow
4. If they dont stop I fire
5. 2 options here, if I know they cant get away then I send Cut Engines Now again
b. If they can get awy then I drop to 10% hull
6. Cut Engines Now
7. Two options here
a. They comply
b. they keep running
8. I either move forward with the other messages if they comply or I bring the rain
9. DM them on ps if they died saying next time comply, I only wanted cargo. If they are shieldless which most have been lately I give some advice.

Usually they have sent me nasty messages long before I get to 9.

I run a python, large enough to mass lock and decent firepower. Enough shields and boost to get out of any sticky situation. I have tried shooting out drives and eh, sometimes its good and sometimes its not. So I usually dont bother since the comms are so cumbersome.

So being on Playstatio this has been my strategy.

1. Pretype in chat box: Cut Engines Now, prepare to be boarded, or Prepare for scan, drop 20t of cargo, Get out of here before I change my mind
2. Interdict
3. Type in letter "C", this begins the autopoulate of the words that follow
4. If they dont stop I fire
5. 2 options here, if I know they cant get away then I send Cut Engines Now again
b. If they can get awy then I drop to 10% hull
6. Cut Engines Now
7. Two options here
a. They comply
b. they keep running
8. I either move forward with the other messages if they comply or I bring the rain
9. DM them on ps if they died saying next time comply, I only wanted cargo. If they are shieldless which most have been lately I give some advice.

Usually they have sent me nasty messages long before I get to 9.

I run a python, large enough to mass lock and decent firepower. Enough shields and boost to get out of any sticky situation. I have tried shooting out drives and eh, sometimes its good and sometimes its not. So I usually dont bother since the comms are so cumbersome.
on xbox we cant do that, it would be great if we could, there is a keyboard but this should be a feature

Man that sucks. I thought we had it hard, I have a wingmate that flies with a keyboard, makes it way easier. The frustrating part is in order to chat someone if I am in a wing I have to have a keyboard or I cant change to local or the other cmdr. I can only chat to my wingmates. Which makes no sense considering I have them on voice comms

She canned responses would be a nice QOL feature. For piracy, but even just saying hello to random players. A list of short phrases that can be sent quickly.

It's a very nice idea... a menu with 1-6 or even 10 slots of pre-written messages!

Repped!

...but it will cost 150 Frontier Points per message slot. :D :D :D

It's a very nice idea... a menu with 1-6 or even 10 slots of pre-written messages!

Repped!

...but it will cost 150 Frontier Points per message slot. :D :D :D

Slots for that would be great. I’m sure drunk me would pay for all of em too.

Side note, like the Yamato photo, don’t normally watch anime but that was enjoyable.

having a set of pre typed messages could improve piracy as there is a less likely chance of cmdrs logging. having a set of messages which I could use depending on the situation instead of having to buy a keyboard can help both the trader and the pirate as the trader knows whats going on and the pirate doesn't need to keep typing it out,

scenario, I have spotted a trader at the cg and he is a shieldless type 9(lucky me) which I plan to interdict and pirate him, in this scenario the cmdr could
1 log
3 run
4 self destruct
5 rant
having a pre typed message can lower the chances of the cmdr logging due to him panicking but if there was a pre typed set of messages then they know what's going on. these messages could have an great effect in roleplaying in general on elite.

trader spotted

hello cmdr I am a pirate and my only interest is cargo, please submit for scan and do not attempt to run otherwise I will disable your drives yarr.

cmdr decides to run

cmdr this is your final warning halt now or I will open fire and disable your drives

cmdr decides to shoot me

cmdr stop shooting or I will retaliate( I would only use this on condas,vettes,cutters as trade ships like the type 9 aren't a threat)

It would be a great idea. I've thought of this too. I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to implement either. It would save me pre typing and typing while chasing, losing valuable time on trader.

Man that sucks. I thought we had it hard, I have a wingmate that flies with a keyboard, makes it way easier. The frustrating part is in order to chat someone if I am in a wing I have to have a keyboard or I cant change to local or the other cmdr. I can only chat to my wingmates. Which makes no sense considering I have them on voice comms
try /l

But my question is why type at all? Why not just shoot out their drives and break open their hold? Assuming they don’t immediately log

Yeah, I take it for granted I can type anything I want into VA, say the words I chose for the macro and have it typed straight into the quick-comms box... Like saying "John Wayne" types in..."Fill your hands you S.O.B!"

About time Xbox had Voice Attack I reckon.... [yesnod]

ZJA8kcm.png

Last edited:

verminstar

Banned

1 log
3 run
4 self destruct
5 rant

trader spotted

cmdr decides to run

cmdr decides to shoot me

Aw yer really throwing yerself into the role play aspect with some enthusiasm...Im a role player too to an extent so that alone deserves a little rep cos genuine role players are sadly few and far between.

I think yer being too generous, but Im not a pirate... if I was however, if someone stopped and so much as deployed their hardpoints let alone fired a shot at me, Id send them to rebuy without any hesitation whatsoever. I will ask only twice...the first time nicely, the second time will be less nice and there will be no third time. If ye run, Ill remove yer kneecaps with a hammer a chisel and destroy yer thrusters, take all yer cargo and leave ye drifting among the stars. Next time I see ye...I wont ask at all and skip straight to stage 3. Is there any of this that is otherwise vague or unillogical?

Cool thing Im not a pirate...even though I do have bad teeth and questionable taste in women ^

Great idea, as others have said not just for pirating but as an overall QOL. A simple shortcut O7 CMDR on Xbox would be so much better.

the rolls Royce version would be an open comps channel for anyone in the instance that outputed on the speakers whether you had a mike or not

edited to add: I would rep but apparently you have had your fill of my appreciation allocation :D

Last edited:
Not quite as good as in-game pre-written messages sent at the press of a button, but an alternative is XBox Smartglass, if you have say a laptop at your side anyway.

1: Write your list of messages in a simple text file on the laptop, say arrrr.txt
2: Get Smartglass up and running on your laptop and connected to your XB
3: On your XB, open up a text-entry box as though you were going to write there, which will make Smartglass bring up a box of its own
4: On your laptop, select and copy your desired message from arrrr.txt, then paste it into the text box on Smartglass, which you will see appear on the screen your XB uses, and press enter
5: It will seamlessly transmit to the XB and be entered in as though you'd written and sent the whole thing on XB with a controller or wireless keyboard
6: Profit!

Two caveats:
- Smartglass is fickle and unstable, at least for me
- The text limit is 90-something characters, which is enforced by counting from the last character back and excess characters are deleted from the START of your message entered into SmartGlass

Not quite as good as in-game pre-written messages sent at the press of a button, but an alternative is XBox Smartglass, if you have say a laptop at your side anyway.

1: Write your list of messages in a simple text file on the laptop, say arrrr.txt
2: Get Smartglass up and running on your laptop and connected to your XB
3: On your XB, open up a text-entry box as though you were going to write there, which will make Smartglass bring up a box of its own
4: On your laptop, select and copy your desired message from arrrr.txt, then paste it into the text box on Smartglass, which you will see appear on the screen your XB uses, and press enter
5: It will seamlessly transmit to the XB and be entered in as though you'd written and sent the whole thing on XB with a controller or wireless keyboard
6: Profit!

Two caveats:
- Smartglass is fickle and unstable, at least for me
- The text limit is 90-something characters, which is enforced by counting from the last character back and excess characters are deleted from the START of your message entered into SmartGlass
again we shouldn't have to use third party tools for something that should be in the game.

again we shouldn't have to use third party tools for something that should be in the game.

What I do not understand is if the NPCs can have them then why is the option to use them not available to players?

I think someone at Frontier dropped a real clagger with this missing feature.

Top Bottom